Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

What do you use to cut the saw blade to shape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Really looking forward to seeing the end product with that. I reckon it will look pretty awesome.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Thought some people in here might want this as a reference

http://www.hybridburners.com/documents/verhoeven.pdf

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

My first attempt at a knife. I dont like the handle, I sort of like the shape of the blade, but it doesnt have the smoothest chopping motion, I dont like how I scuffed up the blade during the handle shaping process and I need more practise sharpening, but for a first attempt im sort of happy with it. It feels ok when I chop things and its still pretty sharp. Took me the better part of a day, not including epoxy drying time.

Things I learned. Have a plan for the handle better than "I will wing it when I get to that bit" before you start cutting metal. Go slow and light on the grinder. No really, slower and lighter. You see how everyone in all the youtube clips protects the blade when they work on the handle? They do that for a reason dumbass. Knives are sharp, even during the phase where you are sandpapering out file marks. Look at knives you are trying to emulate and work out why they are shaped the way they are shaped.

Now for attempt #2

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Cool! Making knives is fun, right? I wanna offer some advice for you, though I'm sure others will be more knowledgeable and able to help you better.

good info

Man, I should really make some more knives.

Cheers for the info, it helps a lot. I was trying to aim for a more curved blade, but late in the shaping process I managed to overheat a bit right in the middle, and decided to just grind that discoloured bit off which ruined the shape and made it a lot more flat than what I was hoping for. Between that and realising I had messed up on the shape of the tang, I pretty much knew it wasnt going to be a good knife, so I turned it into more of a learning exercise on what not to do, and the actual process of filing, polishing and whatnot. For that purpose its a great knife. The next one will be much better.

Has anyone had any experience with getting something like putty or clay and taking an actual mould of their hand in the grip shape, and using that to work out the shape of their handle? Im primarily making these knives for me, so it makes sense to make them as comfortable as possible for me to use. Also, is it possible to soften the steel by heating it (annealing?) but just in the handle so I can actually drill through it?

mattwhoo posted:

Congrats on the first knife. I still learns tons and tons with each new knife I make. The knife I posted above was my 10th. This one was my second.

I didn't even bother to take pictures of the first one I made. It has been regulated to opening boxes from amazon. This site has tons of good patterns to use and get inspiration from. I also spend a lot of time looking at google image search for ideas. What type of steel did you end up using?

Oh wow ok that makes me feel a lot better. I used an old saw blade I had lying around.

Leperflesh posted:

I'd recommend using the grinder just for very rough work and then switch to hand files for the final figuring and shaping. It will take a lot longer, but you will gain in two ways: you'll be able to avoid making any sudden gouges that ruin your work after a lot of time and effort, and, you'll gain a feel and affinity for filework which is invaluable going forward.

As far as safety goes, I think even in videos online most people aren't being very safe. For example, we clamped our blades to chunks of 2x4 wood whenever it was in a vise, to eliminate the empalement hazard, but I never see blademakers online doing that.
Fair call. I did switch to a file when I was trying to do the large bevel, but yeah, not very good at keeping a consistent angle across a large section. But hey, thats what practise is for, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Second attempt finally finished. Much happier with this effort, fixed most of the issues I had with the first one. Chops food up nicely. I know the metal could have been polished more, but ehhhhh