Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

His Divine Shadow posted:

I really like the way some japanese knives look, with the dark finish on the blade and the bevel being shiny metal. But what is that dark finish? I assume it's just been forged, quenched, tempered and left like that. So some kinda mill scale finish?
You mean this right?

Pretty sure it's just iron welded to the sides of whatever hard steel is used for the edge. The unfinished iron ends up that color naturally more or less, then they seal it a little bit to prevent rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Was visiting my parents over the weekend and decided to start making a knife (handle). Don't really have any experience, but my dad has a ton of random knife stuff, so gave me a random diving knife blade he had lying around to build a handle for. There are a bunch of wood pieces around from a custom knifemaker he knew, not sure what it is, but it's really hard.

Gonna make a boring rectangular handle, so I made a cutout for the tang, then drilled holes for the pins, and epoxy'd everything together.

I think I'll need use a tiny bit more epoxy to fill some gaps in a few spots between the scales and the center. After that I'll just need get the base of the handle even, do some basic filing, then take it to the belt sander until it's all smooth and nice looking.