Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

thespaceinvader posted:

I think traditionally it's something painted over the spine during the heat treat/temper so you get differential hardening and therefore differential appearance (they do it on Man At Arms occasionally) but in most knives these days I suspect it's just costmetic.
You're thinking of a Hamon which is caused by painting a ceramic slurry along the spine of the blade before tempering. It's a lot more subtle of an effect.

That black coloring is just regular Mill Scale formed during the forging process which was left unpolished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So I bought a worn out vintage Nicholson file on ebay and I'm making a knife out of it!
I got it annealed and roughed out the shape.

Today I hardened it with the help of the metal shop foreman at my community college

And right now its sitting in my oven tempering.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Bought a sheet 4"x18"x3/32" O-1 steel from mcmaster and i'm using it to make gifts!

Here's my first one! Its about 6 inches long.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
My brother said the same exact thing so if I make a second one I'll definitely put that in.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
More knife

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Two more knives!

This first one was a commission from a friend. The scales are Osage Orange.
He wanted me to make a Karambit but those are only good for gutting things. We compromised with the ring.

This second one is a gift for my electrician brother! The scales are Ipe.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Trabant posted:

Those are very cool! Are your pins stainless steel or something else?

(I had to give up on the hobby, but still check the thread and fantasize about coming back to it)

Yeah 1/4" stainless

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Decided to be a little more ambitious with this one and did some hand forging.

This khukri is made from a car leaf spring which means its probably 5160 steel.

It measures 14 inches long from heel to tip and the scales are made from Ipe

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Telsa Cola posted:

Do people prefer new york stew baron or texas knife co for their steel?

I buy my O1 steel from McMaster. The 3/32nd" Tight tolerance sheet stock I get is actually ground and supplied by Starrett. Also its spheroidized so machining it is dead easy.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

r00tn00b posted:

got a request for a commissioned knife, no idea what t charge. but im working on it anyway. what do you guys charge?

I charged $200 for this knife with a handmade leather sheath.

Its about 7" long.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Ghostnuke posted:

Got them pretty well flat, wasn't too tough. Started doing a bit of work. Is it normal for the edges to have some lovely bits, like this?

I'm just smoothing them out with the sander and a file.

edit: my pic isn't showing up for some reason, try this

edit 2: even the large faces have some kind of tiny holes/imperfections. I guess they'll all get ground out eventually.

The only thing I can think of is that they cut the steel up with a really dull and/or chipped shear. Not sure how else you could get that kind of rollover.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I've been experimenting with some forging at work on my breaks. I have access to acetylene torches there which is pretty nice.

This is made from a car suspension coil spring that my friend gave to me after he upgraded.

It measures about 10 1/2" long. I feel like I want to take up to an inch off of the blade length for proportions but everyone I ask says it looks good this long.
What do you guys think?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Bought 10 pieces of 1/8" thick 1095 flat bar for $40. Gave a few pieces to my coworkers and I'm messing with the rest.

I did the full flat grind with an angle grinder very carefully cause I don't have access to a big boy belt grinder.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

mjan posted:

I've found 3M Cubitron II to last much longer than Norton Blaze, at least for the 50 grit belts I use for heavy grinding.

I work in a heavy steel fab welding shop and we love the Cubitron II sanding discs. They are so aggressive compared to other brands at the same grit. We grind on some machined surfaces after repairing weld defects and the Cubitron 120 grit discs are almost too aggressive. Only people with really steady hands are allowed to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
If you dont have the time or tools to drill out the rivets and replace them, you can significantly rough up the mating surfaces to increase their surface area which will help make the epoxy bond stronger.

Best long term solution would be to drill out the pins and epoxy those into the handle material at the same time you attach the handles back onto the knife.

Edit: You may be able to replace the pins with chicago screws but honestly id say just buy a new knife if you dont have much experience.

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 31, 2022