Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Ooh, man that looks nice, and like it'd be a pleasure to use. Unf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Now that just looks comfy.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Getting frustrated and figure this is the place to ask.

I'd like a better stone set than the cheapo triangle one I have now, but there are too many options.

I'm thinking two, 400 and 1000 grit (sound right?), good size, preferably less than $50 each. Will be for kitchen knives, a cleaver, and pocket knife sharpening.

Anyone have recommendations? Little overwhelmed.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Man, that is cool as hell! Thank you for sharing.

The last picture, does that pinky-ring knife style have a name or specific purpose? Been thinking about getting a garden knife and that looks ideal, if I can find a way to carry it around without sticking myself.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Looks sort of like a karambit.

They are Filipino fighting knives but were originally farmer's knives, agricultural tools. You can hold it either with your index finger through the ring or your pinky--the normal grip is with the index finger through it. Holding it like that you can see how useful it is to cut plants (as well as what a deadly fighting knife it is)

It does, doesn't it? Karambits only register as weapons in my head, so I wasn't making that connection. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

BLARGHLE posted:

The tiny twisty one next to the dagger? I don't remember exactly what the kid called it, but he was trying to base it on some historical european/mediterranean design, rather than the karambit. It was for his girlfriend to use in the garden, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, that's the one.
Ah! Knowing where it came from/what it's used for got me "boline". But possibly a historical style, not the crescent moon not-actually-usable-as-a-knife ritual blade.
Thanks!