Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Hello knife thread. I just started getting into knife making about a month ago. This is my second attempt I think it turned out well.

I did not really take any pictures during construction. The knife is 3/16" thick 1084. I did the heat treat myself in a modified grill with lump charcoal and air being blown in from a shop vac. Hand sanded to 600 grit. The handle is Bolivian rosewood with a Danish oil finish.

mattwhoo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Me again this is knife #3 this is an 8 inch chefs knife with a simple walnut handle. I wanted some nicer wood but I was impatient. I really need to bust out the good camera and build a light box and take some better pictures.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks Guys. Here is #4 and 5 in the works. I need to heat treat and then finish grinding them.

I took some better pictures of the last one i did still need to build a light box or something.

Much better detail of the finish I got on the blade. Ignore my fingerprints at the top.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Knife #4 I made this for a friend she picked the scales. They are spalted and dyed maple. I used a water based poly for the handle.

Closeup of the handle

And one more view. Still need to build a light box.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Here is number 5. I did not like this knife when I first started making it. Now that it is done I really like the way it came out. This was my first hidden tang handle. Something I will not attempt again until I at least own a drill press. The blade is about 8" the handle is about 6" but it's balanced really well.

The handle is black & white ebony and olivewood.

mattwhoo fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 25, 2016

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009

wormil posted:

I like it, the handle is beautiful. Did you burn it in since you don't have a drill press? The shape is almost seax kitchen knife.

No I used a hand drill and some files and a bunch of swearing and a good amount of vodka and a metric poo poo ton of epoxy. I looked online and found some examples of some broaching tools people have made/used I am now in the process of making one. I will post some pics of it when It's done.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Are you taking about the holes in the wood or the holes in the tang? I drill my wood holes the same size as the pins and I usually drill the tang holes a little bigger that gives me the wiggle room I need. That way the pins are nice and tight with the handle.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Not sure how you would get the epoxy out. I was thinking of doing some file work on the back of my handles as well. I was actually planning on tinting the epoxy black or something and let it fill in that way once I shaped the handle it will still be smooth along the top of the handle and it would make it pop really well against the steel. Take some pics would like to see them.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
The epoxy should polish up nicely assuming it does not have a bunch of bubbles. Might have to bust out some of the real fine sandpaper however.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Thought some people in here might want this as a reference

http://www.hybridburners.com/documents/verhoeven.pdf

That should make for some nice light reading!

Well here is my latest creation (It has not been sharpened yet). It is a Nakiri, a Japanese veggie knife.The handle finish I got as smooth as a baby's rear end. It is birds eye maple and redwood burl. I have one more I'm working on as well. That one is almost done, just needs the handle.

Matt

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Here is my latest creation. My wife wanted another blue handle. This is some type of dyed maple.

The wierd reflection in the blade is a pendent light in my kitchen.

Matt

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Well now that it's not 900 loving degrees in my garage, I started on two new knives. Just got done cutting them out and put the rough bevel on them before switching out to a fresh belt.

Sorry Fixed the image.

mattwhoo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 2, 2016

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
My latest. It is a gift for our friends. We are having Thanksgiving at there house tomorrow. I hope they like it.

I really like the handle. This is the first time I used mosaic pins. I am going to attempt to make some for my next one.

Let me know what you think.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009

mewse posted:

Looks good! What's the handle material?

It's a stabilized and dyed maple burl.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. Here is one more I just did. I made this for my brother for his birthday. The wood is stabilised desert ironwood. I sanded the handle to 1200 grit. I am very pleased with how this came out.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Nope not yet. That was the last of the 6" worth that I bought. I managed the get three set of handles out it. Was stupid expensive like 30$ or some poo poo. So yes the next one I will attempt to make my own. I got another big chef's nice that is almost done as well a guyto. That one however won't have any pins as it's going to be a hidden tang. Need to find a good place to get the supplies and come up with a cool pattern I can call my own.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Finally busted out the nice camera and took some better pictures.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Congrats on the first knife. I still learns tons and tons with each new knife I make. The knife I posted above was my 10th. This one was my second.

I didn't even bother to take pictures of the first one I made. It has been regulated to opening boxes from amazon. This site has tons of good patterns to use and get inspiration from. I also spend a lot of time looking at google image search for ideas. What type of steel did you end up using?

Rotten Cookies posted:

Man, I should really make some more knives.

Yes you should I feel a little lonely in here sometimes.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
My Latest. First time making a saya. I think the wood clashes a bit with the handle and in the future I will slim down the saya some more.

I am really pleased with the knife and I think I might make another version of this real soon.

Handle Action

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009

Trabant posted:

Good god that's pretty. What kind of steel are you using?

fe: is that maple burl for the handle?

Thanks. The handle is Stabilized Box Elder Burl and the steel is 1084 and i made the saya out of Bocote.

mattwhoo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 11, 2017

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
What type of equipment do you have for heat treating? That's really going to be the determining factor in the types of steel you can start with.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Well o1 looks to be about the same heat treating and tempering process as 1084. Take it to 1500 and quench in warm oil. After that just temper for a couple of hours between 400-450 or so. You will have to see what gives you a good edge.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Here is one more i just did. Sorry I'm too lazy to get out the good camera. I have not been working on any lately as its hot as balls in my garage during the summer.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
A good set of files. If you going to be cutting out blanks an angle grinder would be helpful as well. A good set of drill bits for the handle pins also helps. Drilling holes in steel that's already hardened sucks rear end. Don't forget a poo poo ton of sandpaper in a bunch of grits.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
I would really skip the harbor freight belt sander and go with something like this belt grinder you could also skip the bench grinder. I have one of these and it works well. Also for the rough grit belts don't cheep out, get the ceramic ones they cost more but last a lot longer.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
You will more then likely outgrow that belt grinder really really fast plus it's only 1" wide belt. The one I linked is a 2" wide belt. I would be more simmular to the big boy 2 * 72" grinders. I know it's a bit more money but would serve you a lot better in the long run. But trust me I understand to budget concerns I really really want a heat treat oven. One day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Looking good guys. I have been super slacking lately. I got one that just needs a handle. I will post some pics when I stop being lazy.