Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Sorry to Kramer into your thread but I figured you’d be the right people to ask.

What’s the easiest way to reattach the (scales?) to some knives that will endure dishwashing?

I bought a henchel knife set around 1995 and they’re coming apart. I’d rather not replace them since it’s just the handles the steel is still just as good so it’s a wate to replace them. I’ve tried boat epoxy and polyurethane (gorilla) glue and both only last a few months of daily washing.

The original rivets have failed. The hole through the tangs are just under 4mm. The corresponding holes in the handles have a 7mm shoulder.

I’ll take any advice. Thanks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Fair enough that makes sense about the expansion but I didn’t realise it blunted them too. hand washing them isn’t much of a chore.

How do I go about repairing them then?
I have a mill so drilling out the remaining pins and previous attempts isn’t an issue.

Where do you source pin stock? Steel, aluminium? I wouldn’t have anything against brass even if that makes it easier.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
First attempt. Results: passable. I cut pins to length, tapped in and then used a drift punch to try and flatten the ends which sort of worked. Ish.

Any tips for flaring the ends?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

McSpergin posted:

I'm currently going through the same thing, a colleague who gifted me 20l of quench oil from an old work project asked if I could fix his. Currently at 320g hand sanding on the scales, replacing it with Tasmanian Blackwood and mosaic pins

I found mosaic pins online when searching for brass stock. Very cool, I had no idea such things exist.

Although they’re fixed I have to confess I’m contemplating making molds and pouring new handles in resin that would in theory flow through the pin holes to make a single handle.