Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
I made a knife recently, L6 and Curly Mulga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's a really neat knife. I like the shape and the Curly Mulga really suits it. Do you use it as a skinner?
L6 is a nice tool steel, but very difficult to heat treat correctly. How does it work for you?

Do you plan making a sheath for it?

I haven't made a sheath yet, but my grandfather made a wooden case for it. I haven't used it yet but it is designed as a skinner. Hoping to get out and try it soon. The heat treat was easy, heat to non magnetic in a forge then quench in warm canola oil. Then 2x tempering @200degrees C for 2 hours.

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
Knife Number 2 in the making, 5160 steel, 4mm thick (1/8" ) OAL is about 25cm (about 9").

I am doing this with files and sandpaper, except for a little bit of shaping I did on my bench grinder, dipping in my bucket of water every few seconds to keep it cool.

Once I get back from my surgery and have recovered, I will finish it. Heat treating will be done externally, unfortunately, as I don't have the facilities to do that at the moment.

I am hoping it turns out to be a kitchen knife, but time will tell.

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
I haven't made any more progress with this knife, it's school holidays and it's taken me longer then I thought to recover from the surgery. I am going to finish it when the kids go back to school though in 5 weeks.

Still, it's going to be a beast of a chopper when I am done. Admittedly,I'd give anything for a decent 42" belt grinder.

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
I managed to find 20 minutes in my shed today, drilled some tang holes to make it lighter.

Note the highly effective safety boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
I have done a bit more on that knife. Started tapering the tang. Album