Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Workshop Heaven is the tits, by the way. The guy who runs it is lovely, if you take a trip down there he'll gladly let you try out tools before you buy, sharpen and tune planes etc etc. I've not tried him out for raw materials but I'm sure he'd be great for them.

You pay a premium for the service, but you get a lot for your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Angle grinder with cutoff wheel is the usual way.

Or plasma cutter if you have one.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think traditionally it's something painted over the spine during the heat treat/temper so you get differential hardening and therefore differential appearance (they do it on Man At Arms occasionally) but in most knives these days I suspect it's just costmetic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Im That One Guy posted:

You're thinking of a Hamon which is caused by painting a ceramic slurry along the spine of the blade before tempering. It's a lot more subtle of an effect.

That black coloring is just regular Mill Scale formed during the forging process which was left unpolished.

Yeah I am. Thought it was the same thing. My bad.

I wouldn't want mill scale on a kitchen knife, idk about anyone else.