Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I wanna get into knifemaking and am doing a day course in Japan with a samurai bladesmith who's fully certified by the Japanese government. Anyway, I'm a fan of metalworking so I have a feeling I will like doing this.

Long question short, what are the absolute minimum requirements for me to make knives at home? I'm thinking belt grinder and drill press for now, I can buy pre-forged blanks if I want to make forge welded composite damascus blades, but really is there much else I'd need beyond those two? I have a decent set of tools already and I think I'd prefer to get the bare minimum for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Thanks for the feedback!

I thought this may have been a lot deeper of a rabbit hole than I thought so I might just spend the money on getting a few courses through then see if I can space/cost share with a local knifemaker here in Sydney. I'd be more than happy to share consumable costs and running costs etc to have access to that gear as the cost of buying property here is insane, and to get a place with the size shed I want anywhere close to where my partner and I want to live is upwards of $1m. Not something we have readily available!

Thanks for the heads up.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

MrPete posted:

If you're in Sydney you could probably get down to the Canberra area for the day pretty easily. https://tharwavalleyforge.com/courses/our-courses/knifemaking/one-day-one-knife

These guys run classes at the Eveleigh train sheds too; https://eveleigh.works/

Also Pask did a video on making a simple forge that could be useful for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9EKcOj1uc

Eveleigh is a good location and he runs it open for people who've been trained but iirc the one day it's normally open for people to use as is is like a Wednesday or something which is when I'm busy at work.

I looked at Tharwa Valley as well and he's in a good spot. Wouldn't be a hard trip down post work on a Friday.

I did look at a gas forge build as I've got gas fittings for work so it wouldn't be TOO hard to build one

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Gas forges are also pretty loving cheap. I got the refractory bricks for mine at something like $6 a brick.

I'm sure I could get this or straight refractory cement for a good price

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Not specifically knife related but close enough - I'm restoring an old axe that my grandfather owned and the old handle is fairly useless as it's shrunk, and is a bit smaller than I'd like.

Typically, I'm loving useless at taking before photos, as such is the case here.

This is the head after electrolysis, it had a reasonable amount of surface rust.

I'm doing it with a 316 stainless steel core, similar to a full tang knife, with some nice mosaic pins. The handle will be a composite of timbers, I haven't quite yet figured out if it'll be 3 or 4 but I have pieces of silky oak, African Wenge, western red cedar, and jarrah. And some g10 and mosaic pins on the way

Now I've marked out the new handle on the stainless steel, but will have some scrap left over. I understand that stainless isn't able to be heat hardened, but that I could work harden it by peening the poo poo out of it (essentially).

Has anyone done this? If so, what did it take? Or am I wasting my time? I was considering either a couple small occasional use knives that I can throw in my camping kit, for emergency use (and keep sharp enough for basic functions like cutting food or ropes), or a single small knife and a longer knife, like a brisket knife

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Pin acquired

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Dog Case posted:

Wait, so you're going to make an axe handle with a slab of metal sandwiched between wood? I supposed you could do that if it's just going to be a display piece, but I don't think it would hold up to any actual use. An axe handle serves a completely different function than a knife handle, and has to withstand a lot of vibration and flexing.

Yeah it's more just a display piece as it's a family heirloom. It's mainly for the fun of it :)

I have a cheap axe for camping that does what I need it to (chop wood)

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I am nearly done with the knives for Christmas, down to the final finishing work and epoxying and forming the handle scales. It's been a hell of a learning experience and I probably bit off more than I should have but they are starting to come out really well.

The longest chef knife is 8.25", the shortest is 7", and the steak knife is 4.5"

All the chef knives are 80crv2, the steak knife is 1080

Nice! What's the material on the handles?

Has anyone dealt with Jantz Supply? Their shipping rates to Australia are pretty good and their steel pricing is actually not too bad at all, worth looking at compared to local suppliers for stuff like Damascus and cutlery stainless (the range of scale materials is way better too!)

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Some good rear end knives in here

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm about to take a foray into making my first knives. A fellow Aus goon works at a blacksmith near Canberra, and has kindly sorted me out with 4x 1075 offcuts. All around 300mm long, in varying thicknesses and widths. It should be enough to make a couple steak knives and a few kitchen knives. Thanks to my woodworking and axe restoration project, I have a ton of timber offcuts I can use to make handles.

I'll keep you posted!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

A friend into jewelry-making is interesting in making mosaic pins to collaborate with me on knives, too!

Good friend imo

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

That sounds like a great course!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Finished knife after a coffee etch (in addition to the initial acid etch)

52 layers of 1080 & 15n20 steel with a raindrop pattern
natural Ho wood (magnolia) & buffalo horn ferrule Wa-style handle (I didn't make the handle)
I did make the damascus billet (with a hydraulic press) and hand-forge and finish the knife
83g total weight

Done at class at Fire Horse Forge, Ballard, Seattle run by owner David Tuthill.

This absolutely owns and I'm excited for the day I get around to doing something similar

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I made another chef knife using the other half of that damascus billet, and I'm quite happy with it.

This one I did the handle on--this is the second integral handle I've made. The first one was last week when I finished a filet knife for myself (maybe I'll show off pictures of it later, it's fine but I was mainly using it as a practice piece). Second damascus knife.

1080/15n20, 52 layer raindrop pattern damascus blade, brass bolster + g10 spacer + stabilized multi-dyed black ash burl handle

6.5"/16.5cm blade, 4.7oz/134g total weight

I think I follow you on insta because that maker's mark looks familiar

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

After a couple months of scrimping and saving I finally got the cash together for a belt grinder :D which means now I can finally get to knife making!

I went with an 84 Engineering 2x48 on the recommendation of Zubraman on here, who works at Tharwa Valley Forge in the ACT here in Australia. The seller does them with a few options, primarily with motors and VFD's but I got mine without motor and VFD and with a heavy pedestal stand. I know enough electricians that I can give them a bottle of booze to do the hookup for me and I can order in whichever motor and VFD I want

Linky

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

BLARGHLE posted:

Looks nice, especially with the stand!

I worked out I can save $800 on it by getting the grinder body and stand as a kit, then buying a motor and VFD separately. I know enough electricians to get it done for the cost of a couple beers :D

I love the brand 84 Engineering too. it's a bloke from regional NSW here in Australia, he lost his buildings in the bushfires so has now rebuilt a better shed and done earthworks and such around his property to isolate said shed workshop from future bushfires. He's worth a follow on socials too, they're rebuilding bigger and better with CNC machines.

Also Alec Steele grinders are his grinders rebadged and running US spec motor and VFD 😎. Because of the Steele orders and time taken getting back on their feet, there's a waitlist as they do production runs of batches, so I'm on the list at the local distributor and was told about 3-6 weeks. Hoping sooner rather than later!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I've offered a bunch of friends free knives with the caveat that they're not gonna be the best thing in the world, letting them know it's primarily for practice in knife making itself. I've got about 5 knives worth of 1075 to build with for myself but theirs will primarily be stainless steel as I know some of them won't care for them the way a carbon steel knife would need

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

BLARGHLE posted:

Are you going to be heat treating them yourself, or sending them somewhere?

There's a few local guys in the knife making community here in Sydney that have Paragon ovens that I've reached out to, basically just to stick my knives in with theirs during a heat treat. Alternatively there's a few places around that do it for about $10/knife for people like me

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

84 Engineering Shop-Mate 48, 2x48. Waiting for the motor (1.1kw/1.5hp) and VFD to show up as well as the cable for it all and then I'll have to go get some belts. Then to finally finish the 5 knives I've got in front of me and finish restoring my grandfather's axe!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also I need to fabricate a basic base for it but I already have something in mind

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Update:

Motor was missed but conveniently one of the sales reps at the store that I got the grinder from lives barely 600 metres from me as the crow flies (the odds of that in Sydney are slim to nil, so it's a welcome win!), So he's going to drop it off after work

I ordered some belts as well, so I've come to the thread for some guidance on whether this should be a good basis for a regular stock of belts to keep on hand

2x48":
50 grit ceramic
120 grit ceramic
220 grit ceramic
400 grit ceramic
500 grit finishing
50 grit zirconia (handles)
120 grit zirconia (also for handles)

1x48" (scalloped edge belts)
120 grit
220 grit
320 grit
400 grit

I did want to get a cork belt that is around 600 grit but they were out of stock so I figured I'd grab some polishing compound and some scourer pads and some 1000 grit wet and dry and do the last bits by hand.

I've got a mostly free weekend so with any luck I'll have it all sorted out and can get a good bit of work done! I've got some African wenge and some Australian native timbers I can use to make handles

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

50 grit is a bit high for your lowest. If you can get 36 or 40 grit that is a lot better for removing lots of material.

I have a few Trizact finishing belts

For reference, the belts I try and keep around are 36, 60, 80, 120, and 220. I almost entirely use ceramic but have some AO belts as well if I need to do a lot of work on wood.

Thanks :D keep us posted on the Trizact as well, I know Alec Steele uses them a bit and they look interesting. The high grit stuff is mostly just to cut a bit back on hand sanding as you mentioned. I still want to grab a bench grinder (I bought a Ryobi drill press the other day because I have use for it beyond knife making) but grab buffing discs for it.

I got the grinder all wired up and built last night, and it runs fantastically well. The guys at 84 Engineering have definitely thought of it all, it has a depth adjustability in the tension wheel to get the belts tracking square as well in case other parts aren't properly square. My only complaint was they used L-handles for all the other bits like the tool arm and platen arm and rotating part, and they often collide. Nothing a hit with the angle grinder can't fix but.

Next step: ask the guy from the distributor who lives near me to use his Paragon oven and if he has the strap on surface grinder from 84 Engineering, to get these bits of steel nice and flat!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Rough shaping on 5 knives is about 90% done, I just need to tidy up a few bits and get some Dremel work done around the transitional curves in the blade corners. All at 60 grit at the moment.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Here's what's on my work table as of this afternoon:

L-R:
steak knife for myself (didn't put tons of effort into refinement, there's a few rough spots)
hunting knife for a friend
chief knives

the two on the left just need sharpening, the two on the right are sitting in a coffee etch overnight

Nice!

I found a local supplier near me sells pre-shaped knives which is kinda handy but what I did find that I bought was a pre-shaped, just add handle cheese knife. Gonna dip into the local timber yard on the way home from gf's house and look at serving board sized timber slabs and make a handle with offcuts for it. Christmas present for parents done

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Here's what's on my work table as of this afternoon:

L-R:
steak knife for myself (didn't put tons of effort into refinement, there's a few rough spots)
hunting knife for a friend
chief knives

the two on the left just need sharpening, the two on the right are sitting in a coffee etch overnight

Also I am extremely about those hamons on the chef knives

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Not hamons! Those are both from a billet of San Mai I purchased from Gambler Custom earlier this year. 410ss/1084

Solid piece. It's the third one I've done in this style, I keep getting better (though this one has a tiny flaw one side). This is my first finger-guard rather than just bolster.

Ohhhh right :D looks cool as hell though!!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Been super busy on some projects
5 1075 knives for mostly myself
A 12C27 hunter for a friend
2 12C27 paring knives for my sister and friend
A stainless (not sure on grade, was a "byo handle" kit) cheese knife for my parents Christmas present with a serving board
And a couple kiridashi, one for me and one for goon secret Santa in 12C27

Also restoring my grandpa's old axe, it's a Keesteel 3.5 lb head that I'm polishing up then throwing a new handle into

I'll post photos when I get my phone back from a warranty issue
(Don't buy pixels)

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

poo poo yeah, waiting for those pictures.

I designed a Kiridashi today for the goon secret Santa so it'll be a good use of the last chunk of 12C27 that I have hanging about. I got some nice pieces of Camphor Laurel offcuts from a serving board that are perfect for a small handle

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Here we go:

Whoa! What's the wooden looking thing on the left? They're both gorgeous

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Neat! I finished polishing up the axe I'm restoring today, no good photos yet (stuck with a lovely phone while waiting for some repairs on mine to get sorted out) but it's almost a mirror finish

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I completed another knife recently, a 6" santoku. 80crv2 with dyed/stabilized amboyna burl scales and G10 liners with stainless pins.

That's nice, what are you using to etch your touch mark?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Hello irritating knife makers, I got this in the excellent DIY secret santa

And I'm excited to start making it!

I'm keen to see how this turns out! I debated between a few of Bjorn's kits and liked this one. He's good to deal with too, and quick for postage etc.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Seconding epoxy, preferably a two part like blade bond.

I got my first set of knives heat treated, they were supposed to be done before Xmas so I could take some with me up to give to friends and family for Christmas presents but the guy doing the heat treatment just had no luck getting them done.

Top to bottom: EDC knife for a friend who did a bunch of work cleaning up some cutting boards for me
Kiridashi
Paring knife for my sister and paring knife for a friend who wanted one with a smaller handle, similar to a Laguiole knife

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I finally got around to finishing the first of four knives I'm working on!

12C27 blade, hardness tested at 63-64 HRC, bronze pins, red mallee burl handle with a 1mm black G10 spacer

Handle was done with two coats of Danish oil, a light scuff to take the surface coat off then some renwax to seal it all in. The shiny bit of the blade is at 8000 grit.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also yes, the pin position at the back was not intentional lmao

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Does anyone have a preferred abrasive? I've been really liking the Klingspor reaper series as well as Norton blaze. Been getting really good life from the blaze belts I've been using on N690

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Little scrap knife I made for use in the garden. Great for cleanly cutting off leaves on greens etc and my partner loves it. 12C27 with silky oak handle and canvas micarta pins. The grinder slip marks come free

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Trabant posted:

That's an elegant shape and the handle is giving me Laguiole vibes.

I traced a Laguiole as the handle, good spot

Re: belt chat, that is quite interesting. I've been getting good life from my blaze belts and the reaper belts are reasonable. I've been using 24's for profiling which scare me to death lol.

My local knife supply store is doing a bulk buy on Klingspor at the moment, 50% off packs of 12 belts.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Knife adjacent:

Last lot of laser cutting I got done, I did a few of these earring scaled ones to see how they look. Next time I'll probably do a 1/16" hole rather than 1/8 but otherwise with a bit of polymer clay on the handles they came up alright. They're on a hook style hanger with an 8mm ring through them (no pics as finished because I am rushing around madly at 10pm packing for flights interstate at 10am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm currently going through the same thing, a colleague who gifted me 20l of quench oil from an old work project asked if I could fix his. Currently at 320g hand sanding on the scales, replacing it with Tasmanian Blackwood and mosaic pins