Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I keep having the urge to work on this (I need another hobby like I need a hole in the head) but probably want to focus on some lesser things before I get to the smithing aspect. Is it reasonable to do stock removal and heat treat of something like O-1? For some reason, one of the things I want to play around with is the heat-treat side of things plus obviously the shaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

mattwhoo posted:

What type of equipment do you have for heat treating? That's really going to be the determining factor in the types of steel you can start with.

Well, I don't currently have specific heat treating equipment but I homebuilt an oilburning aluminum foundry out of a hot water heater and have a kiln kicking around with a PID controller already. I was thinking on the order of doing propane powered heater with some solenoid valves to keep a salt pot at temperature, something cheap and easy. O-1 was picked as a for-example, as the local metal supplier stocks it.

It sounds weird, but with all the other hobby stuff going on, I just don't want to get deep enough into bladesmithing that I go and make a tire hammer because I'm not sure where I'd put it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Sorry, it was more a question of stock removal producing a useful/good blade vs smithing and forging.