Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Is this something I could do with tools ranging from "a really wobbly vise" all the way to "a couple of beers" ?

I don't know much about knife making but I really enjoy this guy's videos and he has some for people with basically no metal working tools.

Trollskyy:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM1Bnpxipb8H4GJoITnJ0XQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone watching Forged in Fire on the History Channel? They make it vaguely historic by having them build distinctive weapons like the katana, Viking axe, katar, etc. Overall the contestants and judges are a lot more positive than most reality shows and there is no manufactured drama.

Also I bought a Bernzomatic TS8000 high intensity torch and am edging toward being able to heat treat steel.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I finally decided to make something. Cut from an old 10" saw blade. I couldn't drill the hardened steel so the handles are only epoxied.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Slung Blade posted:

drat that looks nice. What kind of wood is the handle?

Also, do you guys think some left over maple flooring bits would make a decent handle?

Padauk. I happened to have some scraps from a xylophone project that fit exactly. Maple flooring would make a fine handle.

One more, I'll have better pics tomorrow.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Done

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Crazyeyes posted:

That thing looks slick.

What kind of epoxy did you use?

Thanks. 5 minute, Loctite brand I think. I use it almost everyday in the kitchen, it's become my favorite knife.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S2 of Forged in Fire starts this month, 10th maybe edit: Feb 16th.

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 7, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I haven't made anything since the sawblade knife but I've been accumulating more tools to make it easier. I had no metal working tools at all except a bench grinder and hacksaw.

Also Forged in Fire started yesterday, looks like this season will go a little smoother. First build was a war hammer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was glad no one was sent home because their blade was the wrong size. That's so lame of a contestant. At least this season they tell them what the tests will be.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

That is excellent, I really dig the shape for a kitchen knife.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Beautiful knife and I like the profile but one thing, it looks like the heel(?) comes down past the edge at the plunge line. Seems like it will prevent the blade from cutting all the way through.

I had half a saw blade left from my previous knife and started messing around. This will be my last saw blade knife, I'll pick up some 1085 for future projects. Also want to build a belt grinder.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Slanderer posted:

What was your process for cutting out the knife's profile?

Angle grinder mostly with some touch up on a bench grinder.

Trabant posted:

^ Good question, that's very clean.

Thanks. I still need to finish that one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mattwhoo posted:

Here is number 5.

I like it, the handle is beautiful. Did you burn it in since you don't have a drill press? The shape is almost seax kitchen knife.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mattwhoo posted:

No I used a hand drill and some files and a bunch of swearing and a good amount of vodka and a metric poo poo ton of epoxy. I looked online and found some examples of some broaching tools people have made/used I am now in the process of making one. I will post some pics of it when It's done.

I have also seen tools made from a jigsaw blade, after your first hole/holes are drilled, just jam it in there and saw it out.

Splizwarf posted:

Can you guys go into detail on what you're talking about? I don't know enough to why or what he did with the handle but it looks rad and I want to understand.

The knife is a hidden tang, so the metal part of the handle is hidden inside the wood. You need a hole that matches the shape of the tang. There are several ways to do it including heating the steel very hot and burning a hole, drilling/filing/cutting/shaping a hole, or making the handle in 2 halves with the space already cut.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 25, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would use the 13/64 and peen them but I'm far from knowing what I'm talking about.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Super Waffle posted:

Question for you guys, is your standard 2 part epoxy food safe? I'm finding conflicting information online. I got some wooden scales I want to glue to a kitchen knife blank, I want to make sure that theres nothing that will leach into any food.

For handles I'm sure it's fine. People sometimes use it to coat drinking cups, I wouldn't, but it's been done for years and no one has complained yet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That is a sweet knife and that handle is wild, I like it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Gorgeous knife.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like it. Maybe a missed opportunity for a bottle opener?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
And don't buy sandpaper from HF. Their paper is so lovely that it will actually be cheaper to go buy good quality sandpaper, 3M, Norton, Klingspor; there are others but those are commonly available.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've looked at kits and then I look at inexpensive knives and realize it would be cheaper to buy an inexpensive knife and replace the handles. And would probably be the same quality at the kit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Interesting small kukri, I really dig the handle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah. Being HSS it'll maintain temper at higher temps. When I cut hardened steel, I let water trickle over it. Good luck drilling holes though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like how he pretends to measure the handle as if he hasn't made a million of those things. They make it look so easy, but are geared up and experienced at doing just that. Probably a $500 knife these days.

Totally off the subject but if you like Northmen stuff, Netflix has a 6 hour documentary about Norwegians chopping, stacking, and burning firewood. It's called National Firewood Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Might want to try the knife thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183&pagenumber=334&perpage=40