Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
That's a truly impressive lack of taste and restraint!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ArtistCeleste posted:

At some point I will contribute some of my blades to this thread.

Please do. I'd love to do a historical bladesmithing course, I've been hinting to my girlfriend for birthday/xmas ideas for a while. I'm in the process of arranging a run of re-enactment safe viking/norman swords but these require no actual forging as the blanks will be waterjet cut from pre hardened / tempered sheet stock, including the fuller.

Does razor restoration count for the purpose of the thread? I'm working on forging my first razor on the forge but I also fix up old ones occaisionally

The one on the left is a moderately beaten up 20s model that I have cleaned up and honed to a working level and use for my day to day shaving needs; I have a beard most of the time and a straight razor gives you nice clean lines when you trim.

The middle one is probably from the 90s, I bought as new old stock from a local gentlemens shop that was going out of business, it's my "nice" razor.

The rightmost naked blade is my latest acquisition from the local farmers market for £1. The old cellulose handle was shattered and the blade was rusted with big nicks in it. After careful cleaning it turns out it's a cast steel James Johnson from around 1818-1825. I've taken the blade back to an even polish with grades of Wet'n'Dry up to 1200 grit, then re-honed the bevel with 1200, 4000 and 12000 grit stones. I have some black buffalo horn coming to make new scales with, and I'll be re-using the original lead/pewter wedge.

If anyone is interested I'll post my progress. I have a couple other blades coming in for fix up soon.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Cross-posting from the blacksmithing thread:

:siren:Euro/UK Goons:siren:

I found a source of proper wrought iron :woop:
http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Genuine-19th-Century-Wrought-Iron.html#SID=181

AND high quality knife / tool steel flats including Hitach Blue and pre laminated Japanese billets
http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/steel_billets.html

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Im That One Guy posted:

That black coloring is just regular Mill Scale formed during the forging process which was left unpolished.

To get an even finish like that you would probably need to do something more controlled, my guess is rust blueing or something similar prior to final grind and polish on the bevel.