Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
How tight/loose should pins be? Should I have to tap them in with a mallet, or should they be loose enough to go in easily? Like I've got 3/16 pins, should I drill a 3/16" hole, or maybe 13/64" instead?

One reason I'm hesitant to do 3/16 is I'd have to be dead-on exact drilling all six holes; I don't have a lot of confidence in that. 13/64 gives me some wiggle room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

mattwhoo posted:

Are you taking about the holes in the wood or the holes in the tang? I drill my wood holes the same size as the pins and I usually drill the tang holes a little bigger that gives me the wiggle room I need. That way the pins are nice and tight with the handle.
Cool, that's what I'm doing. The tang holes are just a smidge over 3/16 so there's some wiggle, but the holes in the wood are almost dead-on 3/16 so they fit more snug. Not so tight I have to tap them in, but snug. I read somewhere (can't find the link anymore) that having the pins too tight risks the wood cracking later on, so I wasn't sure about it.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 2, 2016

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

My dad got me some Woodcraft knife kits to play around with, and with the second one I'm having some fun doing file work. And it occurred to me last night, as I watched the epoxy ooze out the sides of handles I'd just glued on, that that epoxy is never, ever going to come out of the grooves I filed in my handle. How do people do this?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First double post in 12 years!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I'm hoping that the epoxy dries clear and doesn't cloud up when I'm sanding it all. I think you're on the right track with tinting it black - when I google filework a lot of what I see looks like this. I'm not sure how mine's gonna come out, I'll find out tonight.

The rounded places are fairly easy, but boy the notched areas are easy to screw up; I butchered this one in a few places.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 16, 2016

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I think it'll look ok - good enough for a first try at filework, anyway. In some places the epoxy filled in flush with the handle, in some places it didn't - if I did it again I'd make sure it overflows so that it's flush with the handle, because now I'm going to have hollow places. I wonder if I could mix the epoxy with sawdust to match the color, or would that screw up its effectiveness? Still got a long way to go, I'm going to take the thickness down to about half where it is now.

The wood is Bolivian Rosewood, Woodcraft was selling cracked 3/16" pieces of it for $5. Found out later that a) it's not a real rosewood (its real name is Pau Ferro, and it's just very similar to rosewood) and b) apparently it can be a real pain in the rear end to finish. Poly and oils are tough to use because they have a tendency to never dry. Might try just sanding the poo poo out of it and not finishing it at all, and a few people recommend wax. Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey, do you want to make a knife? A one piece knife? Have no metalworking skills? No worries, friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKH63_r0OCA
I know practice, practice, practice and all that, but goddamn this is not easy to do by hand.