Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Levin posted:

This game just keeps getting better, I'm almost scared for 1.0.

I hope you're ready for a lot of alabaster paint and like three or four different storylines crashing into each other messily. :getin:

And, based on the teases in the game so far, monsters from Ludd's Own Nightmares.

Also, I so want to know what happens if you provide the Pathers with the planetkiller in the full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
has starsector been steadily improving for the last 10 years at the rate its been improving in the last 4 months? i only got it at the end of last year and man the developer seems like hes on a tear

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Verviticus posted:

has starsector been steadily improving for the last 10 years at the rate its been improving in the last 4 months? i only got it at the end of last year and man the developer seems like hes on a tear
According to this guy on the official forum with 12000 posts it's gone downhill over the last deacde :v:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=29710.msg435636#msg435636

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Wtf the dude post an average of 3 time a day on the starsector forum.

For 10 loving years

But no, the game is trash apparently.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thinking of playing this for the first time. Are there any must-have mods for a first playthrough? From a glance the OP does not seem very reliable today (AKA I googled the top mod and it doesn't seem to have been relevant for over 5 years lol)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

quote:

Every ship is a Supox (from UQM).

whew, thank you for this comparison, i was struggling to understand otherwise

Llamadeus posted:

According to this guy on the official forum with 12000 posts it's gone downhill over the last deacde :v:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=29710.msg435636#msg435636

good lord

Insurrectionist posted:

Thinking of playing this for the first time. Are there any must-have mods for a first playthrough? From a glance the OP does not seem very reliable today (AKA I googled the top mod and it doesn't seem to have been relevant for over 5 years lol)

maybe speed up but honestly i played for the first time a few months ago and im pretty happy i went vanilla at the start. i think mods are things you enjoy finding to make a game last longer rather than being something you gotta have at the start

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah the autosave mod. It can't autosave but it can remind you to save every 20 minutes.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah the autosave mod. It can't autosave but it can remind you to save every 20 minutes.

lol that's the quality indie jank I crave, pump it into my veins

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

I started playing the game 12 years ago when it was called Starfarer. Corvus was the only system and sensor range wasn't implemented yet so the early game was just frantically running around trying to bait one of the pirates that could see you from across the map without getting nailed by a fleet that was too powerful. He's averaged about one major update a year that completely changes the game.

poo poo I remember when hyperspace was a thing for the first time.

Insurrectionist posted:

you don't need any mods and probably shouldn't play with any your first couple run throughs. Once you get an idea of the way things work you can throw everything you want in but again, I've played forever and I really don't like Nexelrin. The base game is as solid as anything you'll play.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 11, 2024

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Crimson Harvest posted:

It actually can if you go in the settings and turn it on!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

mod index: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

check out the portrait options. theyre just portraits, get the ones you like.

otherwise for a first time vanilla playthrough i would just check out the utility mod options.
probably high priority are:
- leading pip
- speedup
- maybe weaponarcs?

otherwise the base game is very fun, you don't have to futz with it very much.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The speedup mod quickly became one of my favorites. And I feel like it's save game compatible right. Gotta be, it's just speeding the game up.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kris xK posted:

For 10 loving years

That guy was a moderator on the forum for ages, IIRC. Lol I wonder if he started badmouthing the design decisions straight to Alex.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I don't remember him being a moderator but he is absolutely obsessed with star control 2

Mentions it at least every other post, usually to say its better than starsector

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Starsector has definitely improved with every patch. The depth and breadth of content in particular has improved markedly.

There are some things that have been lost along the way though. The old shield meta where you typically kept your shields up until your hard flux become unmanageable was more enjoyable imo. Neither hard flux nor a lot of other aspects of shields really matter very much anymore. (There's a lot of reasons for this one, some of which are purely meta like hyperkinetic drivers gaining EMP) Ironman runs have become paradoxically both incredibly easy and extremely brittle with the addition of Story Points. Formerly rare loot isn't; for example, looting a railgun is no longer a big +.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sandweed posted:

It's a buffalo with with a VIC skin, only one exists in game and you can't get the BP or buy it, it's docked in a station in a secret system south east of VIC systems.

lol

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Kris xK posted:

For 10 loving years

I didn’t realize the forum was even that active.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The official forum isn't super active but it's gotten a lot more active over time. I think I reg'd there in like 2015? I remember trying the game when Ballistics still had ammunition and Corvus was the only system.

Yes, the game has 10x the features than when I first bought it and iteratively gets better each major patch. I think it was around patch 0.8 that I felt the game really shift into a new stage. It went from "quaint arcade shooter" to "galactic conquest simulator" and I'm all for it. The only thing I sort of miss is juicing up your flagship to the hilt and going ham on entire fleets. That's not really possible anymore except for some phase ship shenanigans, which isn't my jam.

Everything else, though, has been stellar.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Sammus posted:

I didn’t realize the forum was even that active.

The mod section remains p. active and the blog posts etc. always see a lot of feedback.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FooF posted:

The official forum isn't super active but it's gotten a lot more active over time. I think I reg'd there in like 2015? I remember trying the game when Ballistics still had ammunition and Corvus was the only system.

Yes, the game has 10x the features than when I first bought it and iteratively gets better each major patch. I think it was around patch 0.8 that I felt the game really shift into a new stage. It went from "quaint arcade shooter" to "galactic conquest simulator" and I'm all for it. The only thing I sort of miss is juicing up your flagship to the hilt and going ham on entire fleets. That's not really possible anymore except for some phase ship shenanigans, which isn't my jam.

Everything else, though, has been stellar.

It's still possible if you override the level cap limits so you can get all various combat skills. Hop in something that armor tanks and you can eat reapers all day before finally going up in a blaze of glory after having soloed three fleets worth of ships :black101:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm is there a way to buy this that doesn't go through that bmtmicro payment site? Don't really want to give another site my card info ideally, in fact I think last time I had to do that was the last time I bought an SA upgrade lol. Like 2018 or 2019?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Most banks/cc companies offer ways to use a temporary card number. It'll pull from your account but only be good for 24 hours or a similar window. Could also just go buy a visa/mc gift card and use that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There are some things that have been lost along the way though. The old shield meta where you typically kept your shields up until your hard flux become unmanageable was more enjoyable imo. Neither hard flux nor a lot of other aspects of shields really matter very much anymore.

So how are you using your shields?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Platystemon posted:

So how are you using your shields?

Being a Lowtech Enjoyer they are more like a thing you selectively turn on to block big HE hits and everything else you ignore to focus on firing your guns more :v:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Most banks/cc companies offer ways to use a temporary card number. It'll pull from your account but only be good for 24 hours or a similar window. Could also just go buy a visa/mc gift card and use that.

Huh, didn't know that about temp CC numbers. Unfortunately I'm an unpatriotic EU resident and have never owned a credit card in my life so sadly that doesn't work for me. My usual experience when purchasing even from smaller businesses like indie games is I just have to provide my card# and I get automatically rerouted to my bank's own 2FA processor system. But I presume that's because they all tend to use vendors like itch.io or whatever that are able to involve larger payment processors.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I can ask Alex on twitter for you if you want.

Easier to just ask now so doing it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Hmmm is there a way to buy this that doesn't go through that bmtmicro payment site? Don't really want to give another site my card info ideally, in fact I think last time I had to do that was the last time I bought an SA upgrade lol. Like 2018 or 2019?

You can use PayPal :shrug:

You can also do a swift transfer in euros

You can also mail in your payment

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Thyrork posted:

I can ask Alex on twitter for you if you want.

Easier to just ask now so doing it.
He'll probably just point out the non-card options in the dropdown, paypal, gift card, snail mail, fax, etc

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Llamadeus posted:

He'll probably just point out the non-card options in the dropdown, paypal, gift card, snail mail, fax, etc

He did.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't really mean to be difficult about it so I'll leave it alone. Seems like a cool game but guess I'll wait and see if it ever hits Steam.

E: Like I acknowledge PayPal would 100% be a solution for me, it's more that I can't be bothered to create a PayPal account just to get this game. I don't even know anyone who has ever used PayPal lol.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't really mean to be difficult about it so I'll leave it alone. Seems like a cool game but guess I'll wait and see if it ever hits Steam.

E: Like I acknowledge PayPal would 100% be a solution for me, it's more that I can't be bothered to create a PayPal account just to get this game. I don't even know anyone who has ever used PayPal lol.

I'm half tempted to get it for you.

Edits: not as a snark thing either, just... starsector's a cool game yo?

also never apologize for being "difficult about money" or anything like that imo.

And saying rather then doing because I know some people really hate the idea of being given something. Tho I guess you could give me back a steam voucher. :shrug:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 12, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just use Sseth’s key, and buy it when it gets a full release on Steam or whatever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Platystemon posted:

when it gets a full release on Steam or whatever.

It has to be this decade, I’m sure if it! :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I feel like you are massively overthinking it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

yeah the cd-key doesn't phone home or anything so you can just use any key. such as one that is publically available (sseth, timestamp 17:20)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Iirc you don't even need to make an account to pay through paypal nowadays? Like you can do a one time thing

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

doesn't steam take like 30%, i wouldn't sell though em either if literally anyone would buy my poo poo off my personal webpage

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

doesn't steam take like 30%, i wouldn't sell though em either if literally anyone would buy my poo poo off my personal webpage on whatever

It's a marketing fee basically, you game is much, much more visible on steam than an ancient site with an ancient payment processor.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Alex has probably inadvertently hit a decent pathway:
Spend years letting anyone willing to buy the game directly do so, then after that (presumably) put it on steam to let the rest of the potential audience get it for a cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Nalesh posted:

It's a marketing fee basically, you game is much, much more visible on steam than an ancient site with an ancient payment processor.

Right. You lose 30% revenue but gain 4000% sales. However, Alex has said the real reason he hasn't done it is because once you put it on Steam, the expectation of fast patch cycles becomes A Thing™, which he can't commit too. There's also some shenanigans about mods. Basically, he just doesn't think the game is ready for wide-release, and to be honest, it's not. There's no endgame and there definitely pieces missing that an uninitiated player might cry foul on. It's not worth the headache.