Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Obscurity posted:

What classes / levels are these all gained? I'm a bad.

BFB and Invigorate and keen Flurry are Drg

Internal release, Mantra, Featherfoot and Second wind are Monk

Of all of them Mantra is the highest (I think it's in the 40s) but is also hella weak Cross classed, I think the minimums for the Important stuff is like 34 lancer 15-20 monk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Klungar posted:

What's the proper way for determining the overall potency of a DOT skill? Divide the duration by 3 and multiply by the tick potency?

Correct.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

dangersandwich posted:

I know you're being facetious but Second Wind is instant cast. Provoke -> Second Wind gains you enough hate to prevent whatever it is from immediately running back to not-the-tank.

holy moley

Happy Blue Cow posted:

speaking of cross-class, what are everyones opinions on the 5 cross-class skills to use on NIN?

Internal Release, Blood for Blood and Invigorate are obvious choices, but how about the last two? Mantra+Second Wind? Keen Flurry+Featherfoot? or some other mix?

IR, B4B, Invig, SW, and Flurry. An instant 1k heal (at high levels) is just too good to pass up, and Flurry is actually really powerful on Dex classes when you have to take unavoidable damage (T8 if you're doing homing missiles, T9 for Meteor Streams)

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Obscurity posted:

What classes / levels are these all gained? I'm a bad.

Lancer: Feint (2), Keen Flurry (6),Invigorate (22), Blood for Blood (34)

Pugilist: Featherfoot (4), Second Wind (8), Internal Release (12), Mantra (42)

Marauder: Fracture (6)

Mantra is skippable, Blood for Blood is probably not.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Having to level a dps class to play a different dps class sounds so hellish. What are the recommended leveling routes from 1-34?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I just watched a Turn 9 guide on youtube... What the gently caress? It looks really, really, really hard. There's like 100 things to memorize. I don't think I'll ever make it!

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Obscurity posted:

Having to level a dps class to play a different dps class sounds so hellish. What are the recommended leveling routes from 1-34?

Get to 15 and start doing FATEs while you queue for dungeons. That's going to be the fastest thing you can do as far as I know. Everything else available is literally just to make the experience more fun (a necessary step when talking about grinding in an MMO.)

edit: do the random roulette queue for dungeons and guildhests every day, and then just queue for like the two highest level dungeons you can after that.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 27, 2014

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Obscurity posted:

If yer not taking the effort to try most of the dps classes to 30ish (swiftcast, blood for blood, quelling strikes) you're probably not going to have as much fun anyways because you wont figure out which dps style you actually like playing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Obscurity posted:

Always hammer out your hunting log. Leves/fates up to level 15. 15+ queue up for dungeons/guildhests and do fates/challenge log stuff while you queue. Melee DPS queues are going to really suck for the next month or so, so leves/fates will probably be a ton of your leveling.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange sky posted:

I just watched a Turn 9 guide on youtube... What the gently caress? It looks really, really, really hard. There's like 100 things to memorize. I don't think I'll ever make it!

It's really not that bad once you actually do it. Like meteor placement isn't really as big of a deal as it might seem beforehand. It's more about coordination and communication. Then again, good communication is the key to most any hard fight in this game.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
Oh neat, 1000 pages :toot:

What's a good default cooldown rotation for a new PLD? I don't use them often enough and I'm try to break that habit before I hit 50 (45 right now)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

zolthorg posted:

If yer not taking the effort to try most of the dps classes to 30ish (swiftcast, blood for blood, quelling strikes) you're probably not going to have as much fun anyways because you wont figure out which dps style you actually like playing.

The corollary to this: If you're new to the game and you haven't even taken a class to level 50, pretend most of those cross class skills don't exist. You absolutely don't need quelling strikes, bfb or swiftcast to finish the main story. You should look into getting some of the skills that only require level 12ish once you hit your twenties so you have access to cross class raise/protect/second wind/physick/featherfoot/fracture depending on your class and needs

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Turn 9 is a pain to learn but since the fight is incredibly scripted it ends up just being a lot of memorization.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I find t9 to be less annoying to deal with then t7. gently caress that fight.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AzureRequiem posted:

Oh neat, 1000 pages :toot:

What's a good default cooldown rotation for a new PLD? I don't use them often enough and I'm try to break that habit before I hit 50 (45 right now)

Just pop whatever depending on the situation. Don't blow all your cooldowns at once. Don't use your defensive cooldowns before you actually pull.

Edit: To go into detail I guess. Pulling a big pack of mobs, use rampart while your dps kills them. Pulling a really big pack? Sentinel into rampart. Really my cooldown use outside of coil is determined by how my healer is performing. If you notice they're having trouble keeping you up, you have a ton of ways to help them out.

Velthice fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 27, 2014

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

zolthorg posted:

I am combining experience from FF11 with knowledge of FF14 classes and throwing in my own personal preference.

Basically I like dps mages, but FF14s mages aren't super fun to me because BLM has too few spells, and SMN has dumb pets / uses DoTs. I enjoyed NIN but did not like DRG in FF11. MNK I liked in FF11, but leveling a PUG in FF14 seems slow and boring until later levels..at least up to 15 it sucked.

You are right, though..I won't know unless I try them. I'll be getting LNC to 34 and probably keeping PUG at 15 for now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Unlock every weaponskill in every class as you level so you can see the unique animations they put on most of them for each weapon type and wonder why they bothered when no one can actually use them at endgame because of Jobs.

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012

Obscurity posted:

MNK I liked in FF11, but leveling a PUG in FF14 seems slow and boring until later levels..at least up to 15 it sucked.

This is pretty much every job, most of the fun is heavily backloaded on the higher levels with the later abilities. Once you've hit 50 you'll learn to hate those dungeons that drop you one level short of that ability that makes your life not suck.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

CrimsonObserver posted:

This is pretty much every job, most of the fun is heavily backloaded on the higher levels with the later abilities. Once you've hit 50 you'll learn to hate those dungeons that drop you one level short of that ability that makes your life not suck.

The Sunken Temple of Qarn (pre nerf and with no level synced people)
Oh you're a Summoner or a Monk? Bet you really want to use that Utility Stun / Dot Spreading Dependant Atom Bomb?
Get hosedTM

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I like FFXIV.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What cross class abilities should I be using as PLD?

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Fracture, of course.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rincewind posted:

What cross class abilities should I be using as PLD?

Stoneskin, Protect, Cure, Foresight, Blood Bath.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

bonewitch posted:

Turn 9 is a pain to learn but since the fight is incredibly scripted it ends up just being a lot of memorization.

And even that isn't difficult after you practice the fight so many times. It eventually just becomes so ingrained that you can do the fight without even thinking. I've done phase 1 of t9 so many times I know exactly where I'll be in my rotation at each point of the phase.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

dangersandwich posted:

PLDs also don't have any long-range threat generation except for provoke. If something gets away from a PLD for whatever reason and Provoke isn't up, they have to chase after it. At least warriors can X-class Second Wind and generate a modest amount of healing threat at practically infinite range so the mob doesn't even have to be in Tomahawk range.

Also, Summoners should always use Titan-egi so the tanks can have a breath of fresh air and not have to worry about taking damage. :)

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Veks posted:

Fracture, of course.

If the class/job you play can't use fracture, play a different class/job that can.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

dangersandwich posted:

PLDs also don't have any long-range threat generation except for provoke. If something gets away from a PLD for whatever reason and Provoke isn't up, they have to chase after it. At least warriors can X-class Second Wind and generate a modest amount of healing threat at practically infinite range so the mob doesn't even have to be in Tomahawk range.

:psyboom:

Fake edit: Woo, 1,000 pages, here's to 1,000 more. :toot:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

its ok i still believe in you senpai~

Ok you win.

Though I'm not sure what else to reply to a post like

Kitfox88 posted:

Who cares if your ping is so bad that Landslide is almost an instacast and you need a friend to call them out for you and tell you where to run or else there's a 95% chance you'll die with no chance of rezzing? You just need to study this fight and learn it even better than some raid groups learn Coil 2 encounters just :gitgud: scrub in this recreational videogame that you pay a monthly fee for the experience of playing. :fh::smuggo::fh::smuggo::fh::smuggo::fh::smuggo:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

KaneTW posted:

Hi please provide examples. Hard mode: belzac doesn't count.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=932&perpage=40#post436024302
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=951&perpage=40#post436426733
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=844&perpage=40#post434205476

I'm not defending the people who get mocked in this thread or their wrong ideas, I'm taking issue with your statement:

KaneTW posted:

That's indeed the case but we don't look down on others for not playing on a similar level.

This place can get hostile towards people who are Wrong About Video Games. And then there's belzac.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Veks posted:

Fracture, of course.

Fracture is IIRC the or one of the highest potency per GCD movs for Paladins (followed by Shield Swipe and a combo potency adjusted Halone I believe)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I think I worded my original post poorly. As long people are just playing suboptimally or whatever, I've got no beef with them. Maybe I'll give them tips and if they don't want to listen I'll move on. But if they spread misinformation in a forum thread where someone can read it and take it for the truth I'll call them out and I guess sometimes get a little hostile.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Sacro posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=932&perpage=40#post436024302
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=951&perpage=40#post436426733
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=844&perpage=40#post434205476

I'm not defending the people who get mocked in this thread or their wrong ideas, I'm taking issue with your statement:

This place can get hostile towards people who are Wrong About Video Games. And then there's belzac.

I cleared T9 like 2 weeks after that was posted so now I can smugly smugpost at the scrubs who haven't :smug::hf::smug:

KaneTW posted:

Fracture is IIRC the or one of the highest potency per GCD movs for Paladins (followed by Shield Swipe and a combo potency adjusted Halone I believe)

Does TP end up being an issue if you start running Fracture in your rotation? I vaguely remember having more TP problems on PLD than WAR but I certainly don't play either in any particularly highlevel content

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I have no idea, I don't even have a 50 PLD. But since it's a 80 TP move I'd say yes.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

KaneTW posted:

Rage of Halone = 260 (end of three step combo, other steps are 150 and 200)
Fracture = 220 (120 of potency is DOT)
Shield Swipe = 210 (Only usable after blocking with shield)

I like using Fracture during boss fights when I have aggro locked down to kill the guy that much faster v:shobon:v

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

dreffen posted:

I like FFXIV.

:getout:

Debating staying up til 4AM my time or not to play ASAP.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Klungar posted:

Rage of Halone = 260 (end of three step combo, other steps are 150 and 200)
Fracture = 220 (120 of potency is DOT)
Shield Swipe = 210 (Only usable after blocking with shield)

I like using Fracture during boss fights when I have aggro locked down to kill the guy that much faster v:shobon:v

(150+200+260)/3 = 203 < 220

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
It's been 1000 pages do we know if Warriors should use Fracture or not yet?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Verranicus posted:

:getout:

Debating staying up til 4AM my time or not to play ASAP.

:smith:

Also sleep, then wake up at/around 4.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Smornstein posted:

It's been 1000 pages do we know if Warriors should use Fracture or not yet?

If you have the TP to spare. It's 300 potency traited.

(I heard something about only using it when cooldowns are up but I believe that's a TP management thing. Someone tell me if I'm wrong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

dreffen posted:

:smith:

Also sleep, then wake up at/around 4.

This is what I am doing. I have the day off and it's not much earlier than my normal wake up time.

• Locked thread