Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Okay, question regarding Leves: if I'm aiming to get every craft/gather job to 50, what is the better idea for spending Leves, botany/mining or crafting jobs since I can turn in HQ items for bonus exp/gil? I'm thinking the gathering jobs because I can always just craft HQ items and sell them on the market for a profit, where botany and mining are ALWAYS slow to level if I'm doing it manually.

Both. I got the last 5 levels of alchemy done today by spending about 15 leves. Crafting goes fast as gently caress with hq leve turn ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rafzakael posted:

It probably doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyways.

Slap an authenticator on your account please! Don't be dumb and think that just because you browse safely and scrub your machine that you will never ever get hacked. If you have a smartphone (and really, you do, it's tyool 2013 you can get smartphones for free probably), download the authenticator app and link it to your account, it's free, it's easy, theres no reason not to.

Quotin dis

There are SO loving MANY hacked accounts gold spamming in town

Don't let the tiny inconvenience of typing in a code be the reason you get hacked and spend two weeks dealing with SEs overloaded CS

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Failboattootoot posted:

Both. I got the last 5 levels of alchemy done today by spending about 15 leves. Crafting goes fast as gently caress with hq leve turn ins.

This is true, and how I've kept my crafts at (mostly) the same level. Right now my botany/mining are falling behind so I guess I just need to spend some Leves on them before spending any more on crafting.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

So I rolled greed on an Ifrit's codex when there was no Scholars in party, am I correct that there is nothing I can do with this other than use it on my own Scholar if I ever make one in the future (not planning to) ?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

From the last thread:

sentrygun posted:

Without Careful Synthesis this has a notable failure rate, which will blow a ton of time, give no XP, and potentially nuke your materials. Level Weaver to 15 and get Careful Synthesis before spending notable amounts of time doing macro synthesis.

The macro looks fine to me, doesn't he have Steady Hand up when he uses Basic Synthesis? That should be a 100% success rate.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Guh this game is so charming

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Shoopuf posted:

Here's a macro I made up on the fly to be able to heal my friend when we party together. What utter stupidity am I committing that the game won't recognize it?
code:
/ac "Physick" <p1>
Set your friend as your focus target when you're playing together. Set the tank as your focus target in Light Parties.
code:
/macroicon "Physick"
/ac "Physick" <mo> 
/ac "Physick" <ft>
/ac "Physick" <tt>
/ac "Physick" <t>
targets...
Mouseover
Focus Target
Target's Target
My Target
...in that order.

That will allow you to heal your buddy without switching targets.

Likewise, you can do something similar with any attack you wind up spamming (Looking right at you, Arcanist Ruin)
code:
/macroicon "Ruin"
/ac "Ruin" <mo>
/ac "Ruin" <ft>
/ac "Ruin" <tt>
/ac "Ruin" <t>
...will let you focus fire your own target,
unless you have a friendly player targeted,
unless you have a Focus set (Shift-F),
unless you are mousing over a mob in the Enemies list (which effectively reverts to "Shoot my chosen target", overriding all the autotarget stuff).

MORE ARCANIST AWESOME

code:
/micon "Miasma" <-- "macro icon" abbreviation. Shows the ability icon, and the GCD. Does not show cooldown on long abilities.
/ac "Miasma" <tt>
/ac "Miasma" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Bio" <tt>
/ac "Bio" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Aero" <tt> 
/ac "Aero" <t> <-- get this from leveling Conjurer to 5 or so...
/wait 2.5
/ac "Virus" <tt>
/ac "Virus" <t> 
Loads your intended target up with all your DoTs.
If you need to do something else during the fight, no worries. Any other macro or action will override the macro.

I've experimented with lowering the 2.5 seconds to account for the 0.5 second 'internal cooldown' on instants mentioned in the last thread, for the two instants in the macro, but I haven't seen them reliably firing the way they do when it's set to 2.5s wait in between.

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Also, gently caress this game for making me want to buy a gaming desktop. I'm on a laptop and play at lowest settings, and I'm super jealous of the pretty screenshots I've seen in here.
Get a gaming laptop?

I've got an vintage 2010 ASUS ROG G53JW with an i7/6GB/GTX460m and I'm getting 40-60 FPS pretty reliably at 1280x720 on an external 23" monitor.
The 2013 vintage G750 has the latest iteration of i7, can take up to 32GB RAM, and has the GTX765m for a pretty reasonably $1400.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 16, 2013

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I joined a PUG which turned out to be me and 3 people who probably knew eachother because they were all catboys with pirate names.

They ignored stuff I marked, attacked whoever they pleased, and usually switched targets in the middle of a fight.

Also, gently caress this game for making me want to buy a gaming desktop. I'm on a laptop and play at lowest settings, and I'm super jealous of the pretty screenshots I've seen in here.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just hit 50 on my first class/job! 50 BLM :)

Next thing to do on list is Sunken Temple of Qarn. It's the only dungeon I haven't finished pre-50 and I need it to rank up in GC (page 2 hunting log) so I can get my level 50 GC weapon. :saddowns:

Then after that, aside from endgame farming, I need to decide if I want to devote all non-blm time to my crafting (probably) or leveling SMN/SCH (meh..)

jsr v2.0 posted:

Has anyone had wildly varying spell timers on BLM?

Sometimes when I'm casting Fire3 it's full length, but sometimes after repeated casts it will go down to like 1.3 seconds. Same thing with Blizzard3. I'm not sure why though. Ideas?

The only thing I can think of to cause this is a SCH pet buff, but aside from that, I don't know. I've noticed it too, but I'm too focused on other poo poo to see if it's from a SCH or not. Very likely is most of the time, but I don't remember if I have seen it solo.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Obscurity posted:

Just hit 50 on my first class/job! 50 BLM :)

Next thing to do on list is Sunken Temple of Qarn. It's the only dungeon I haven't finished pre-50 and I need it to rank up in GC (page 2 hunting log) so I can get my level 50 GC weapon. :saddowns:

Then after that, aside from endgame farming, I need to decide if I want to devote all non-blm time to my crafting (probably) or leveling SMN/SCH (meh..)

The only thing I can think of to cause this is a SCH pet buff, but aside from that, I don't know. I've noticed it too, but I'm too focused on other poo poo to see if it's from a SCH or not. Very likely is most of the time, but I don't remember if I have seen it solo.

It wouldn't surprise me if some kind of mechanic isn't listed anywhere with how useless the tooltips are, at least in english.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

victrix posted:

Quotin dis

There are SO loving MANY hacked accounts gold spamming in town

Don't let the tiny inconvenience of typing in a code be the reason you get hacked and spend two weeks dealing with SEs overloaded CS

Hacks will continue to happen until they release it outside of Android and iPhone. Found nothing for windows phones and buying something that most people get for free is just not going to happen.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

cancerianmoth posted:

Hacks will continue to happen until they release it outside of Android and iPhone.

Good luck with that.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

cancerianmoth posted:

Hacks will continue to happen until they release it outside of Android and iPhone. Found nothing for windows phones and buying something that most people get for free is just not going to happen.

you can emulate Android on your computer if you need to. While it's obviously not ideal to run an authenticator on a system which needs to be compromised in some way for your account to be hacked, the means used to compromise accounts is probably too simple 99.9999% of the time for it to matter.

I use winbma with my bnet account which is a windows-based program that's just the battle.net mobile authenticator app and have never had any problems with it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sforzacio posted:

Especially hilarious if you ride a chocobo. Hey, don't fall asleep at the reins!

The best is cutscenes when it cuts to you for a reaction. Holy poo poo, some big important story thing just happened! ROBOT CARES NOT FOR YOU.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
How is tanking in this game?
That aspect of MMO's has always held my interest the longest in these games and I am curious about FFXIV

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I don't mean to brag, but I totally kicked this guy's rear end :smuggo:

Man I love the environments in the game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Nightwatcher posted:

That aspect of MMO's has always held my interest the longest in these games and I am curious about FFXIV

-Less spammy than WoW, focused more on meaningful decisions and planning along with cooperation from DDs (focus fire, smart AoE, crowd control)

-Basic at first, possibly frustrating at times due to limited tools and/or uncooperative DDs

-Considerably more movement and active avoidance, especially at 30+

-Threat/enmity gets easier to manage as more tools are earned through levelling, then gets harder at current endgame (healer enmity in Bahamut's Coil is high)

I'm having a lot more fun with it than I do in WoW. It's a change in that mistakes are harder to correct due to the lengthier GCD and limited number of snap taunts, along with the need to time interrupts around animations. There's a few mechanical things I'd change, but overall I'm pleased.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Nightwatcher posted:

It's pretty much standard MMO fare except rather than tanks being able to hold threat immediately with insurmountable leads while putting in 0 effort like most modern mmo's, it's actually a mechanic that everyone needs to pay attention to, even the healers.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Everything about this game is adorable.

The fact that you can see the Limsa Aetheryte Plaza from certain parts of La Noscea is pretty loving cool, not gonna lie.

And for the new thread, goldfarmers.png:

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

This game is so loving good. It's the only MMO I've played where I keep the in-game music on and stop periodically to take shitloads of screenshots.

Best boss music. Gets awesome at 0:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqUZC2P2aw

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Hopefully this downtime forces spammers to do something other than randomly generate a number or letter at the end of each message.

It seems like forcing a level or quest requirement or something on Shout would work wonders.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

Obscurity posted:

I've definitely seen it solo. I've seen it happen with both B3 and F3, and I have no idea what triggers it. I doubt it's a bug - probably some weird-rear end feature that isn't really fleshed out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nightwatcher posted:

Good. Ironically the same issues that make it lovely with lovely players make it more entertaining as a tank.

Aggro management is actually a thing again, and the 2.5s gcd means you need to think about what to fire and when, and weaving in 'instant' abilities between attacks is interesting (there's a .5s icd, so you can't spam all your oh poo poo buttons in a row, weaving them into your rotation is the way to do it whenever possible).

The dungeons are really surprisingly tank friendly too, there's not a lot of bullshit random patrols and I don't find trash excessive (ymmv).

Mob groups can be done with cc, without it, or with aoe.

Bosses have increasingly complex mechanics as you level, up to fights that rival any sort of modern mmo raid boss mechanics.

The progression through that complexity is, although probably slow for veterans, really well thought out. Everything you learn from boss fights, you use in the last dungeon. Everything you learned from that trip, you use on the post storyline battles, and each time they add a few more layers to the encounters.

(None of this helps lovely players learn anything, they will still steal threat, attack random targets and slept mobs, etcetc. But it's fun otherwise!)

One other point - there are a lot of new players in FF14, not just to 14, but to mmos period. If you don't like teaching newbies, you could grow frustrated with their performance. Even if you don't, hairtrigger whiners often will.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Sankis posted:

It seems like forcing a level or quest requirement or something on Shout would work wonders.

Spammers are mostly hacked accounts, so that would be useless.

Does that authenticator thing work with ipods, or just iphones?

These are all really cool, thanks for posting them.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
So I did a HM Ifrit run, main tanking, and died 3 times. I'm assuming it was the healer's fault considering I've done it about 6 times tonight without issue.

Somehow, after every single rez, I was able to get back up and snap aggro back to me permanently from the offtank.

After looking at his buffs, I realized why.

He wasn't using an oath. :smith:

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ipods should work for the authenticator

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm sour on Garuda hard mode after just one day of a few attempts. Since there's a lot more that can go wrong on Garuda than on Ifrit, you get two options when your friends aren't running the content already. A: You queue and get into a pug group that wipes repeatedly until the tank loses patience and leaves. B: You try to join local groups recruiting people at Revenant's Toll but they refuse to do it with anyone who doesn't have it on farm status already. Then it's back to A again.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Lance Streetman posted:

Spammers are mostly hacked accounts, so that would be useless.

These are all really cool, thanks for posting them.

Are you sure about that? It seems like they make new characters. All of the spammers I see are /shouting from some random hallway or just idling by the crystal at level 1.

No reason why the authenticator shouldn't work on iPod as long as it has wifi.

Fillem
Sep 15, 2004

I am nothing
Are there European goons companying it up on Odin or another server maybe? Usually they can be found anywhere.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

As I understand it, US and EU servers are all located in Montreal so I think Excalibur is just the main goon server in general.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Sankis posted:

As I understand it, US and EU servers are all located in Montreal so I think Excalibur is just the main goon server in general.
Yep, this is the truth. You have horrible ping on all servers, even those branded as EU, when playing from Europe.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

sforzacio posted:

Best boss music.

Yeah if you have bad taste maybe. This is basically the best FF boss theme. Well, one of them, I cannot deny Titan.

Also, many of the Garlean Empire themes really sound like they'd fit right into Xenoblade. Like this one, gets so Xenoblade after a while.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hokuto posted:

I'm sour on Garuda hard mode after just one day of a few attempts. Since there's a lot more that can go wrong on Garuda than on Ifrit, you get two options when your friends aren't running the content already. A: You queue and get into a pug group that wipes repeatedly until the tank loses patience and leaves. B: You try to join local groups recruiting people at Revenant's Toll but they refuse to do it with anyone who doesn't have it on farm status already. Then it's back to A again.

Garuda is a right bitch, it can take a bit to find a solid group for it. Shes basically the next escalation of hard mode so if shes bashing your face to bits dont worry too much, a lot of people die at Garuda.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

victrix posted:

One other point - there are a lot of new players in FF14, not just to 14, but to mmos period. If you don't like teaching newbies, you could grow frustrated with their performance. Even if you don't, hairtrigger whiners often will.
I'd worry about that more with other classes. Tanking is the best way to carry a 4 man group since you set the pace and are pretty much the de-facto leader, and if you're actually interested in helping people, stuff that others do wrong is very obvious when you're tanking.

I did stone vigil a few days ago with a healer who actually didn't know that overhealing caused enmity, and rather than get mad at him for pulling off me I simply told him not to heal when I'm at full hp because it gives him enmity. Then he didn't do it. Amazing!

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Terper posted:

Yeah if you have bad taste maybe. This is basically the best FF boss theme. Well, one of them, I cannot deny Titan.

Also, many of the Garlean Empire themes really sound like they'd fit right into Xenoblade. Like this one, gets so Xenoblade after a while.

I really like the boss theme they use for the Level 50 job quests among other things. It sounds just slightly sad but still like boss music.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

jsr v2.0 posted:

Has anyone had wildly varying spell timers on BLM?

Sometimes when I'm casting Fire3 it's full length, but sometimes after repeated casts it will go down to like 1.3 seconds. Same thing with Blizzard3. I'm not sure why though. Ideas?

Obscurity posted:

If you're in Umbral 3, all fire element spells cast twice as fast.
If you're in Astral 3, all ice element spells cast twice as fast.

boho fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 16, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

In anticipation of whenever this goes back on sale for digital distribution, can someone give any kind of an overview between the two healers and their mechanics (possibly coached in similarities to World of Warcraft)?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lance Streetman posted:

It should work on anything that runs iOS.

Anyway, so we want to talk about music, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhcHIIhWAII

The zone music in this game is amazing, and Mor Dhona is the most amazing of all. God I love that zone, relatively small as it is. (I was surprised it was not Coerthas-huge.)

This is a Very Good Game, and if you are a fan of hotbar MMOs or Final Fantasy at all you should play it. Conversely, I would say it should be avoided by anyone who is badly burned out on HB MMOs due to WoW/GW2/etc, but if you have any time left at all for such things, you have no reason not to play this.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hokuto posted:

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait for more people to hit max level in the upcoming weeks. I have a friend on Cactuar that's run into the same issue with Ampador Keep now that speedruns are completely dead and there are no easy solutions other than waiting.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Cabbit posted:

In anticipation of whenever this goes back on sale for digital distribution, can someone give any kind of an overview between the two healers and their mechanics (possibly coached in similarities to World of Warcraft)?

Ok, I've only gotten my healers to about 32, but I'll give you what I can since I know you're a priest passion person, WoW-wise.

CNJ/WHM is more like a holy priest. Big heals, procs to make heals better/stronger/faster, HOTs and a a moderate damage/cc toolbox

SCH is closer to a disc priest. Their heals aren't as strong on their own, but some of them proc damage absorb shields. They also get pets that have a low strength auto-heal and some buffs you can cast on your own or let them autocast. (Edit: There's no smite healing, though. No one has that.)

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Couldnt tell you from a WOW perspective, never really got into it.

White Mage has solid cures, regen, some minor offensive abilities that you will rarely use. Pretty straightforward class, decent grp healing very solid single target healing.

Scholar has good group healing, the Fairy pet will toss out heals and will speed up spell casts depending on which you pick, your heal spells aren't quite as potent as WHM but you basically have a never ending reservoir of MP so long as you don't forget aetherflow. Pet does no damage but will toss out regens, straight heals and party buffs. Really flexible healer, fun class but is a hell of a lot more work than WHM, especially if you're doing the right thing and rotating DOT attacks in as well.

Both can hold their own, Scholar is in my opinion much more flexible but can be a lot more work to play properly.

• Locked thread