Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
<ZEON> is sitting at just over 200 members, almost never fewer than 50 online at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, if I have the PC version, I have to buy a PS3 copy to play it on my PS3?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ronco Showtime posted:

You have to buy a copy for each platform you're playing on, but you can play the same character/account.

Can you download the PS3 version if you get a code or do you need a boxed copy? Also, have they even enabled digital sales again yet?

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 17, 2013

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus posted:

Can you download the PS3 version if you get a code or do you need a boxed copy? Also, have they even enabled digital sales again yet?

Quoting myself since I didn't get an answer. Can you get a code for the PS3 version and just download it, or do you need a physical disk?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lizard Wizard posted:

How viable would it be to heal with a controller on my Conjurer? I kinda feel like kicking back and trying that.

EDIT: Oh my goodness when did digital downloads open up.

How do you go about ordering the game through PSN?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I want to buy a copy of the PS3 version for a family member who lives in the US (I live in Canada). I heard that PSN doesn't accept CC from countries that don't match the account address, so using my Canadian card for their American account probably won't work. Is it as simple as me making a new PSN account with my card attached, then buying the game and giving them the login info? Will they be able to use the account even if it was made in Canada?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tarranon posted:

Can someone help me figure out what's going on with this macro?

/macroicon "Bootshine"
/ac "Haymaker" <t>
/ac "Snap Punch" <t>
/ac "Twin Snakes" <t>
/ac "Bootshine" <t>

Just a simple lazy monk rotation while I level up and stuff. It uses haymaker if it's available and then goes through the combo starting with bootshine, then when twin snakes is available it will use that the next time i hit the button and blah blah you get it, we all get it.

It works fine while I'm out and about, but I've been catching up on guild hests this morning and for some reason it only uses haymaker and bootshine on mobs in those.

Any idea what's going on?

Are you being leveled down in the guildhests and losing access to certain abilities?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Has there been any word on them changing the fact that only completing AK gives a substantial amount of Myth stones? I'm stuck on a PS3 for the foreseeable future and healing that awful dungeon all the time is just killing my desire to play.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is ARR still fairly active? I'm looking to scratch that MMO itch now that my free month of ESO has ended and I need a break from that, and I really enjoyed my time with this game before giving it a rest.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

dangersandwich posted:

If this thread wasn't any indication, yes. Excalibur (goon guilds server) has 36K registered characters and it's not even the most populated server. (check http://xivsoul.com/)

Big™ updates roll out every 4 months or so, with a few smaller patches in between. This is actually a great time to try the game because the next update happens July 8. I believe you still get 1 free month when you buy the game which is constantly on sale for < $15 so Please wait try warmly.

Oh, I've played before. In fact, I was one of the officers in the largest goon guild at ARR's (re)launch. I know it's a good game, was just curious as to the current population.

Edit: Regarding ESO, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, but I think it would have been better as a single player game. The questing and world was top notch, but I found myself annoyed whenever other people came into play more often than not, and even the mass PVP felt like a weaker version of what GW2 had already done.

If you enjoyed any of the single player Elder Scrolls games, though, I'd say it's worth buying. Each faction has about (if not more) questing/exploration content as Morrowind or Oblivion and there are three of them to play through. All in all a good game.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 13, 2014

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I bit the bullet and resubbed. Which of the dozen+ unfinished wikis google linked me to is the most complete/used?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Craftygoons, help me out!

I'm really interested in leveling up the crafting classes, and have already taken Weaver to 25 or so, but I'm really really bad at it. I don't think I've managed to HQ anything so far and all of the skills confuse the hell out of me. I've seen mention of macros for crafting here and figured maybe they'd help me out here. Is there a site somewhere or something that I can find these macros floating around somewhere?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Majumbo posted:

Get the rest of the classes to 15, then take CUL to 37. You get a lot more tools to work with then. With DoH, all abilities are cross-class

Okay, I can work on that for now, but is there somewhere I can see some of these macros people are always mentioning?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've been threatened that I'd be reported for doing the whole ChocoNaul in Coerthas thing. It's wonderful.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
These hunts are really bringing out the worst in people. I've been blacklisted and harassed more in the last 48 hours for killing hunts and not waiting for people to run from the opposite side of the zone than I have in my 4 months playing this.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't have any problem working with others for hunts. I've only found a few B-ranks while doing other stuff so far, but each time I'll wait a minute or so and shout the <pos> before going in with my ChocoNaul once I think we have enough to kill it in a reasonable fashion. I won't wait for the 30+ people who just sit around waiting for someone to announce a hunt to run across the zone spamming shout with "wait rear end in a top hat" who then tell everyone in the zone to blist me for being so selfish.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I usually wait til there's 2-3 others so we all get a good reward, not for the whole blob to arrive so everyone gets 1 seal.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not hard to get full credit when the entire train is there. The best way I've found is be a tank, turn on defiance or shield oath, and tomahawk/shield lob the whole time. You'll get 1-2 in on any B, 3-4 on an A, and plenty on an S. I always toss a provoke on S mobs, but I'm not sure that matters. As long as 6/8 of my party members are in place I've never failed to get full credit doing this and I was running this morning with the whole server.

I tend to only find them when I'm alone, and I play a BLM, so.. =/

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there anywhere to see a list/pictures of furniture and where to buy them?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Emergency maintenance, something to do with Frontlines. Wonder what they're changing now.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

kirbysuperstar posted:

Excuse the double post, but patchnotes:

The short of it: HP buffs on hunt targets, RIP Titan-egi being useful ever.

People will still complain about hunts.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any reason why the treasure hunt part of my challenge log is stillg reyed out despite having done the unlock quest?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Bland posted:

Did you unlock it after the challenges reset for the week?

No, beforehand.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I assume leves are still the fastest way to level fishing?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Veks posted:

Reminder there's a "Letter from the Producer LIVE" in 45 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2YfcTvTYZI

e: It's starting!

Is anyone translating it like the others?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I may be leaving my guild, is there anything special I need to do to make sure I don't lose all the furniture in my personal housing when I move to another one?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, what exactly is the point of release on FSH? All it seems to do is throw away any of a particular fish you catch, but why would you want to do that instead of just selling all of those fish?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kyrosiris posted:

That's correct (and the main purpose of Release).

If this were the case it would actually be useful, but as others have said I've released and then immediately caught (and released) the same fish.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, FSHerman, what are the valuable fish to go for at 50? Don't worry about me cutting into your profits or anything, I'm stuck over on Balmung.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pierson posted:

If I want to powerlevel fishing via leves which ones do I take? I notice some of them reappear and disappear from the questgiver and this is annoying.

edit; Or is it like Mining/Botany and there's no guarentee I'll get the same leves? Because I'm just gonna buy my way to 50.

The ones that appear are random. Follow the guide at http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1sxjys/fish_for_levequests_level_10/ and just buy as many of each of the 4 leve fish as you can without getting into the crazy gouging price levels and go from there.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Is it bad that I don't really care about the story so much in this game? After learning that the lore is based on the closing of the previous Final Fantasy MMO and how it was crappy and stuff, it's kind of spoiled the whole story experience for me a little. I can't really enjoy it when they're like "So many warriors were lost in the harsh battle that claimed so many lives" anymore because all I can think about is how that's just a bad metaphor for the previous game's servers shutting down.

Part of the reason I don't enjoy MMOs and was hesitant to try this is because I just can't enjoy the obligatory story elements. Now that I'm out of the hub world and into the real main quest, everyone is like "We are so proud of you, you are an amazing warrior, you did the thing! You, a mere adventurer, did the thing!!" And it's like yeah, but every player has done the thing, since you have to in order to move on in the game.

I actually thought it was cool how they found a way to carry the story over from 1.0.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pomp posted:

No, it's okay, Japan remembered not to sexualize their infantile characters this time.

What about all the non-Lalafell NPCs who are legit sexually attracted to female Lalafells that you bump into here and there in the world?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

As someone who avoids hunts like the plague, I'm curious why this is funny.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The official forums are so full of "1.0 was better than casual ARR" threads it makes my blood boil.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

kirbysuperstar posted:

Those people were mad about jumping being added to the game. They aren't worth your time to worry about. Don't forget that those same forums are responsible for "please un-nerf catgirl butts" and "I wish gay people would stop flaunting their genetals everywhere".

I know, I just can't help it when I see them come out of the woodwork after every patch or maintenance. As someone who loved FFXI back in the day but would never want it or its features to be imposed onto XIV because "it was fun then so it will be fun now and if you disagree you're a WoW-zombie", they push my buttons in such a way that I'm pretty sure I got temp banned for arguing too hard in one of their threads just now.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Daily Forecast posted:

That's what I was going to resort to eventually but then after that I just really didn't give a poo poo about that whole dungeon run. I'm a goddamn tank, I can get a new queue in about .5 seconds anyway. I feel a little bad for the healer but he might have to wait 1.5 seconds for a queue so that's okay.

Anyway, the reason I'm going ahead with tanking instead of ranged DPS is because I've found that literally falling asleep in the middle of a dungeon run is a huge problem for me on BLM or SMN. I know both tanks in this game are equally viable for most/all content but which one would generally be considered the more active/exciting role? I want to say WAR but I've never played PLD to 50 before so I dunno.

MNK also seems pretty 'exciting', but then it's almost too far into the territory of being frustrating from constantly dropping GL stacks because the boss does some fuckoff AoE or becomes temporarily unavailable to attack.

I dunno what it is, but no matter what job I play, the minute I step into a dungeon be it with pubbies or friends I cannot stop yawning. It's the damnedest thing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've got SCH to 40 now through just dungeon grinding, and I know the fastest way to 50 will be to continue that, but when the highest level dungeons I have access to are Qarn and Cutters Cry, I'm thinking of just spamming low level roulette to spare myself the inevitable lovely pug groups in those places.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Intoluene posted:

I had to heal qarn for my relic today. Well, the final boss anyway. DPS refused to attack the verges that do the full room aoe expecting me to heal through it. I solo DPS'd them down instead.

Yeah, see, that's poo poo I'd like to avoid until I absolutely have to do it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus posted:

The official forums are so full of "1.0 was better than casual ARR" threads it makes my blood boil.

Ah, I see you guys found the thread that drove me to post this the other day. I actually got temp banned because of that thread, dunno if my posts are still there or not.

This is the email SE sent me. When I saw the post they'd chosen to show what a meanie I'd been, I literally spat up my drink.

"Dear Customer:

This notice is to inform you that we have suspended your access to the FINAL FANTASY XIV Forum for one or more violations of the FINAL FANTASY XIV User Agreement that occurred on 07-30-2014.

Thread Title:
"Our true feeling for this game"

Relevant sections from the FINAL FANTASY XIV Guidelines:
Posting that constitutes discrimination against another forum member or group (also including forming groups for the purpose of discrimination), insults, slander, libel, harassment of a group or individual.

Original Post:
"Bloo bloo bloo."

Edit: But yeah, seriously, ignore any posts by WeiShan, Zantetsuken and the dude with the Roegadyn face in the shape of Texas. They post the same poo poo day in day out and refuse to actually have discussions.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Meiteron posted:

I'll be honest even if I didn't stick to my traditional position of "the official forums do not exist" when it comes to paying attention to this stuff this topic and all others like it still doesn't really bother me.

Why? Well, compare the two games:

XIV 1.0 is SE's biggest financial failure in years.
XIV 2.0 is SE's biggest financial success in years.

It's really that simple. They are never going to go back to 1.0 no matter how many topics get made about it. Hell, I would bet all the money in my pockets that only basic marketing principles are keeping someone from the community team from posting in that topic going none of us give a poo poo about you.

It's kinda crazy how many of the 1.0 lovers feel that SE and Yoshi P are cowards/weak/cheap and that they "betrayed the loyal fans of 1.0" by creating A Realm Reborn.

• Locked thread