Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

As stated, FFGoons.com is the best place to go for additional information not found in the OP.

Here is a huge stickied list of guides I have posted there:
http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27075

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just hit 50 on my first class/job! 50 BLM :)

Next thing to do on list is Sunken Temple of Qarn. It's the only dungeon I haven't finished pre-50 and I need it to rank up in GC (page 2 hunting log) so I can get my level 50 GC weapon. :saddowns:

Then after that, aside from endgame farming, I need to decide if I want to devote all non-blm time to my crafting (probably) or leveling SMN/SCH (meh..)

jsr v2.0 posted:

Has anyone had wildly varying spell timers on BLM?

Sometimes when I'm casting Fire3 it's full length, but sometimes after repeated casts it will go down to like 1.3 seconds. Same thing with Blizzard3. I'm not sure why though. Ideas?

The only thing I can think of to cause this is a SCH pet buff, but aside from that, I don't know. I've noticed it too, but I'm too focused on other poo poo to see if it's from a SCH or not. Very likely is most of the time, but I don't remember if I have seen it solo.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

:siren: FIX FOR CLIPPING PROBLEMS IN LARGE AND OVERCROWDED FATES :siren:

This came from Reddit:

quote:

Esc -> "Character Configuration"
-> "Control Settings" -> "Character" -> "Effects while in motion" -> "Off"
-> all "Battle Effect Settings" -> "Show None"
-> "Display Name Settings" -> "Display Name Presets" -> "Hide"
-> Disable Battle Text -> "UI Settings" -> General -> Character Information -> Uncheck "Display flying text" )

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Guys I got an Ifrit's Blade and a tank belt from AK and my GLA is 0..should I go ahead and level it? I ask because it seems like a lot of goons talk about tanking and I need to know FFXIV PLD is fun to play. Thanks in advance!

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

Which one of you motherfuckers is Aachu Achu?

I wasn't joking.

Wow..I didn't really expect this, but you sir are a saint! I'm Aachu Achu, btw. What was your IGN?

Also do you want anything for all that work? I only have like 25k but I could tip! Also, I can make level 40 or lower cloth items if you need any.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I don't know if it's related, but I can't login at all. I keep getting the NA/EU server list is down or w/e. I am Excalibur, though.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

After what seemed like forever, but wasn't actually all that long..finally hit 50 WVR! With the help of 2 very kind goons..was able to get my HQ AF as well! Now to start farming materia..and potash..:ohdear:

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So apparently there is a hack or exploit to instant level crafting...

(Image from Reddit)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Looks like crystal tower is a 24 man dungeon that actually functions as 3 separate full parties with them being split up for chunks of the instance and coming back together for certain fights. Content updates will alternate between adding more stuff to coil and adding more stuff to crystal tower. Eventually they'll add buffs to players that are too bad to clear them normally so they can see the storyline.

There will be 2 "hard mode" dungeons in the patch and another new one called Pharos Sirius.

Good King Moggle Primal Fight and extreme versions of the other primal fights. They also have a separate bullet for "hard mode" boss battles so hopefully tougher versions of other encounters.

Treasure hunting (Whatever the gently caress that is)

Beastman Dailies

Housing (First available only to FC to see how much strain it puts on the servers)

Random Duties

e-Oh yeah and pvp but who cares about that!?

You can see the tgs videos as well as pre-patch overwiew here

Does any of this contribute to limiting the grind for tomes to get past gated content like Titan? I've seriously quit playing my BLM and only worked on crafting because now that I'm at Titan I can't bring myself to grind out the gear neccessary. If it wasn't "Run the same dungeon 500 times" and instead "Run a few different dungeons with a chance at good drops" I'd be fine. :\

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Pomp posted:

As with people who say you need to gear up first for AK, it's just trying to cover up being unskilled with better gear. Titan is completely doable with a couple of pieces of leftover AF and a some white jewelry. It's just a hard fight. Mechanically, it's simple, but it requires you to be on the ball at all times after you kill heart.

I have 100% AF and an HQ crafted 50 weapon currently. What do I need to change from this at a minimum to start doing Titan? Note: I feel confident in my DPS skills as a BLM.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

When comparing FFXI to this game it helps to reference what era specifically. I know that the game starting getting better around ToAU, and once Abyssea hit things became super easy.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

SE posted:

Greetings,

Not being able to heal players during the raise animation is working as intended. However, in patch 2.1 we will be making adjustments so that after you are raised you will not receive damage from attacks for a certain amount of time.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/104074-Please-Fix-the-Raise-Animation%21?p=1413252#post1413252

Well that's some good news! :D

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

fadam posted:

When people say that it's a good idea to crank each crafting class to 15 before leveling one to 50, is it worth spending allowances on leves for them, or is it possible to just get them all to 15 by just making things.

I want to get Armorer 50 this weekend but I have no idea what I'm doing.

You can generally level all crafting classes from 1-15 by sitting at the guild and buying mats. You shouldn't need to buy any mats from the market to get to 15, and crafting every item in your log at least once is almost enough in and of itself to get 15. You may need to do a few leves or spam craft a few items around 13 -15.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I've been enjoying the poo poo out of crafting, and that is killing lots of time. My blm has been sitting there awaiting relic completion since forever, but I keep crafting instead of farming tomes. v:shobon:v

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Finally decided to stop crafting long enough to get my BLM it's relic..now to grind 511~ myth tokens for relic +1.. :( I am also in mostly all AK gear..no DL yet :(

*goes back to crafting*

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Zero VGS posted:

I asked this in the FC but no one had an answer at the time...

I have 2 million gil, no trades leveled, no items of value. Is there anything at this point that I can buy to hedge against inflation? Is top-tier materia the best bet, or crystals or something? Or should I just hold all the gil?

Powerlevel crafting, deck out your gear in materia, save it for housing, donate to me?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Blizzard also made acknowledgments for world first Inferno clears in Diablo 3 if that counts.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Except less fun with worse pet control and no crowd control :v:

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

How does the game fare right now for someone not into raiding? Like do all the super dedicated DoH/L people have stuff to do or is it the same old sit in town and try to double star craft random poo poo for gil?

What are the avenues of entertainment current for someone not intersted in raiding?

I like the atmosphere of this game, but I don't know if it's worth coming back if I don't plan on progressing in PvE. (I left the game right before Crystal Tower was released)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Can an experienced DoH/L only player tell me what the game is like right now for that type of player? What is the typical daily or weekly plans for a player like this? Is there any incentive aside from making gil yet? Or is playing PvE still the be all end all of this game?

I like PvE a lot, but having quit back before CT came out and then trying to come back now and relearn all the old and new encounters sounds kind of tedious. I know before I quit I was doing mostly DoH/L stuff anyways. The dps mages were my favorite jobs in FF11, and in FF14 they're much more boring. Egi's instead of avatars, restricted to only one or two egi's at endgame, lack of spell variety for BLM, lack of utility spells like having RDM. The FF 11/14 style universe is really fun to me though and that's why I was considering coming back. Maybe it's good to let it go? I don't know..thoughts?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ok, so I finally am giving in to temptation with the upcoming release of Ninja and am resubbing for the first time since 2.0. It looks like a hell of a lot of stuff has been added since 2.0, which is awesome because I had quit due to there not being a whole lot to do at the time.

I have a couple questions:

1. I assume there is no way to use a recruitment code if I already own the game and at one point had an active subscription?

2. What is the present state of crafting? When I quit I had all of the useful abilities as well as about 4-5 crafts at 50. I heard something about cross-class crafting gear? Also new level 70 gear?

2a. What sort of stuff do crafters make/sell for gil nowadays (Excalibur)?

3. I left off with a level 50 BLM and a newly formed relic staff. Haven't done any of the upgrades to it at all. How torturous will this be?

4. If I decide to forego my BLM in lieu of NIN..I assume my best bet as a crafter is to just craft up a bunch of HQ dex leveling gear, correct?

And lastly..

5. With all of the new content..is it more like present day WoW where I can just leasurely join a pickup group for raid stuff, or am I probably going to want a raid shell if I wanna do any endgame? Specifically, I am not really concerned with super hard to do content, but I would like character advancement as content is released.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

RuanGacho posted:

2.You are way way way behind, hope you have literally millions of gil to burn to catch up.

Really? That bad? :(

quote:

5. While we have a lot of static endgame groups, most people don't complete the final content, there is 24 man player alliances which are more casual and drop gear that is secondary in quality to only the loot from the current absolute endgame.

This is good news.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Killsion posted:

The millions of gil is just for the Novus step, and even then, it's just if you want one with like maxed crit and det etc. Splitting the stats equalish between like acc/det/crit is significantly cheaper, and only slightly less optimal.

Zenith will be easily bought with soldiery.
Atma is having drop rate increased by double
Animus books are now 400 soldiery

You can catch up to Animus at least pretty quickly.

My question was about crafting and he replied with millions of gil to catch up..soo was he reading wrong?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Vil posted:

Eh, just work on it slowly. My advice would be:

Part 1: basic crafting competence
- Get your other crafts to 50. Ixali dailies will be a huge help here.
--- When you're maxed out with Ixali, snag their i70 crafting gloves.
- Consider getting your gatherers to 50 (fisher more optional) for self-sufficiency.
- Start training up goldsmith desynth.
- Get the glamour-related master books.
- Get the desynth-related master books.
- Get all that level 55 crafting gear. Mainhand tool is from class quests, everything else you can pretty easily craft yourself at that point. HQ it of course.
- If you're on a tight budget, if the i55 accessories require demimateria (read: neck, earrings, belt), use the i45-i49 accessories instead.

Part 2: get mostly caught up without spending a fortune
- Meld your gear enough to make 2-star synths.
--- Try to avoid melding head, and try to avoid overmelding or using tier 4 materia on anything except body and i55 accessories (because you might eventually replace everything else). In other words, try to avoid spending too much money while doing this.
- Get the normal master books, which each require 5 HQ of a 2-star ingredient (e.g. Darksteel Ingot).
- Make 10 token items of any craft to get artisan specs (i70 head, no melding possible/needed).
- Make 50 token items of the respective craft to get artisan mainhand tool.
--- All these token items are a lot easier to make if all the 1-star stuff going into them is HQ. Those in turn are easier to make if the gathered mats for them are at least partially HQ.
- Work on goldsmith desynth some more. You're going to eventually want a lot of fieldcraft 3 and mastercraft demimateria.

Part 3: use your own judgment from here
- Wait for patch 2.4 to hit, if it hasn't already by this point. It probably will, though.
- Decide whether the Expensive poo poo is actually necessary for what you want to do.
- Expensive poo poo includes supra tool, new master books coming in 2.4, new i60 generic hands/legs/feet, new i70 craft-specific offhands, and melding any or all of that (or the previous/existing tier of stuff) high enough for 3- or (upcoming) 4-star synths.

It's worth a reminder that an awful lot of the money in crafting is not necessarily from crafting the tip-top gear that requires the very highest of stats. So you don't necessarily have to be super maxed out unless you actually want to get into the markets that require you to be super maxed out. There are many other markets, particularly cosmetic or to feed the addictions of other crafters, where you can make a ton of money without necessarily being super high stats yourself.

:catstare: Well then..

Good write up..thanks a lot for the info! I'll make sure to reference this as I get back into the swing of things. I might just focus on PvE for a while because this seems a bit daunting :\

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So since coming back yesterday after quitting in 2.0.. I got my halloween stuff done, unlocked all the hard mode dungeons, started the Hildibrand quests, started continuing the main storyline, unlocked Ixali dailies, gained desynthesis, hunt access, aesthetitican access, and glamour access.

I'm sure I'm still missing a bunch of random poo poo.

So I should be doing hunts and CT as a ilvl 59 BLM or only do hard modes right now?

I plan on leveling up ROG/NIN and possibly changing to that as my main class as well.

Also..I only have 130k..not sure where to start with gaining gil. I have WVR/CRP/GSM/CUL at 50 and the rest at 15-30~ for skills. I have full AF for the 50s (basically aside from materia, I was geared to max for 2.0 crafting).

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

speaking of cross-class, what are everyones opinions on the 5 cross-class skills to use on NIN?

Internal Release, Blood for Blood and Invigorate are obvious choices, but how about the last two? Mantra+Second Wind? Keen Flurry+Featherfoot? or some other mix?

What classes / levels are these all gained? I'm a bad.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Having to level a dps class to play a different dps class sounds so hellish. What are the recommended leveling routes from 1-34?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

zolthorg posted:

If yer not taking the effort to try most of the dps classes to 30ish (swiftcast, blood for blood, quelling strikes) you're probably not going to have as much fun anyways because you wont figure out which dps style you actually like playing.

I am combining experience from FF11 with knowledge of FF14 classes and throwing in my own personal preference.

Basically I like dps mages, but FF14s mages aren't super fun to me because BLM has too few spells, and SMN has dumb pets / uses DoTs. I enjoyed NIN but did not like DRG in FF11. MNK I liked in FF11, but leveling a PUG in FF14 seems slow and boring until later levels..at least up to 15 it sucked.

You are right, though..I won't know unless I try them. I'll be getting LNC to 34 and probably keeping PUG at 15 for now.

• Locked thread