Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Here's a macro I made up on the fly to be able to heal my friend when we party together. What utter stupidity am I committing that the game won't recognize it?
code:
/ac "Physick" <p1>

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

The Chairman posted:

Could one of you in ZEON link me the Lodestone page for your FC?

That goes for anyone else in any other goon group that's taking new people.

It this what you're looking for?

And, again, does anyone know why the <p#> commands don't seem to be working for my attempt at a macro?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Kenny Rogers posted:

Set your friend as your focus target when you're playing together. Set the tank as your focus target in Light Parties.
code:
/macroicon "Physick"
/ac "Physick" <mo> 
/ac "Physick" <ft>
/ac "Physick" <tt>
/ac "Physick" <t>
targets...
Mouseover
Focus Target
Target's Target
My Target
...in that order.

That will allow you to heal your buddy without switching targets.

Likewise, you can do something similar with any attack you wind up spamming (Looking right at you, Arcanist Ruin)
code:
/macroicon "Ruin"
/ac "Ruin" <mo>
/ac "Ruin" <ft>
/ac "Ruin" <tt>
/ac "Ruin" <t>
...will let you focus fire your own target,
unless you have a friendly player targeted,
unless you have a Focus set (Shift-F),
unless you are mousing over a mob in the Enemies list (which effectively reverts to "Shoot my chosen target", overriding all the autotarget stuff).

MORE ARCANIST AWESOME

code:
/micon "Miasma" <-- "macro icon" abbreviation. Shows the ability icon, and the GCD. Does not show cooldown on long abilities.
/ac "Miasma" <tt>
/ac "Miasma" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Bio" <tt>
/ac "Bio" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Aero" <tt> 
/ac "Aero" <t> <-- get this from leveling Conjurer to 5 or so...
/wait 2.5
/ac "Virus" <tt>
/ac "Virus" <t> 
Loads your intended target up with all your DoTs.
If you need to do something else during the fight, no worries. Any other macro or action will override the macro.

I've experimented with lowering the 2.5 seconds to account for the 0.5 second 'internal cooldown' on instants mentioned in the last thread, for the two instants in the macro, but I haven't seen them reliably firing the way they do when it's set to 2.5s wait in between.
Get a gaming laptop?

These are all pretty drat beautiful. I love the Arcanist class, but there's so much variety with them that you take a while to get anything going. Those macros look perfect. :allears: Thank you so much!

Am I right in assuming that in all the examples, I choose whether to use <tt> or <t> depending on if I intend to target someone to heal and then attack my target's target, or target a monster to attack and then just heal whoever they're attacking? Theoretically I could make both into macros and use whichever for what situation I'm in?

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 18, 2013

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Hokuto posted:

They ended the drawings for the day, with more to come tomorrow. Lucky servers are, in order of Twitter posts:

What does this mean? I'm on Cactuar. Can I cash in on whatever this is?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Just now got my Bard soul crystal. I've never really played a support role before, so I guess my question is what should I keep an eye on in the future? Right now, my only song is the MP regen skill that seems like it will come in handy... eventually... but not quite yet.

If I'm reading things correctly, I'm also heading to Haukke Manor soon. Will Bard be useful there, or should I just keep to Archer for now where I have access to other cross-class skills?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

What is the maximum SP a battle chocobo can have? Would it be possible to eventually max the thing out in all the skills to be whatever I want, or is it a matter of actual optimization?

Where do I get toadskin equipment? Got a rad shirt for my class 30 quest but no idea where to buy the rest of the set.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Flumpus posted:

Hm, ok... I was definitely waiting for him to pull the guys before jumping in. As far as hitting the correct target, what should I be looking for? When he's got three or four guys around him, there's one I should be targeting specifically?

I'm pretty attack-happy as an archer and tend to pull aggro once or twice every dungeon run just due to the tank having to split attention (as a tank should do) to make sure no monsters build up enough aggro against the healer. When that happens, just stop everything but your auto attack and maybe pop a potion/heal if you have those as a cross-class and wait. I've found that to be the generally polite thing to do. While you're waiting, you may as well apologize in the chatbox if you'd like.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

DKWildz posted:

Started up last weekend on Brynhildr, figuring I'd avoid the queues, and so far so good, except it seems most people stuck to their original servers, so it might be a while for this one to catch up. Lacking shout/yell in cities due to gil spammers (Honestly, even if I -wanted- to check their website, there's so many different ones spamming you can't see any one comment) really seems to kill the feel of a community in the game.

Also I hope we get lucky and get some Cactuar earrings from the TGS deal :)

If you /blist the spammers, you won't see any messages from them. This includes shouts. While it's not the greatest fix when others haven't done the same so they can't see what you're saying, at least your chat box won't be constantly scrolling.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

Excalibur just won Cactuar Earrings.

Please Look Forward to them after maintenance.

I don't understand how this is working. If Excalibur won the earrings, how many other servers might also win the earrings now? Two on the NA list?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

We're actually one of the last servers to get them. Pretty much everybody will by the end of it.

Thing is, I tend to play mainly on Cactuar which I already saw on the list earlier. How are we supposed to cash in on these cool earrings? :confused:

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Velthice posted:

Taken from http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/93517. I really recommend following the twitter account if you want to stay on top of things like this.

Sorry about that; I don't have a twitter account and mainly just use this thread to keep a finger to the pulse of the actually-important things. Thanks for the link, in any case!

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Do tanks have a special kind of armor such as Foestriker's, or do they just get to keep covering themselves in more and more sheets of metal and badassery?

Speaking of Foestriker's... Anyone on Cactuar feel like running with a goon to finish her set for all her ~15 DoW classes, or maybe run through with Arcanist for the DoM equivalent? I have far too much armor for lower-level poo poo that I've love to hit 15 and just dump everything underneath it since I would have a full set.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Is it possible to buy subscription time for someone else entirely, or will I have to PayPal my friend the money so she can do it herself?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Asked this a few days ago, didn't see an answer. Is it possible for me to pay for someone else's subscription as some sort of gift-payment or will I have to PayPal the money and have them do it themselves?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Terper posted:

Oh my god, gently caress this boss music. Biggest goddamn tease. At several times it's about to hit its stride and enter the Answers leitmotif... and then it just peters out. :negative:

Tell me about it. Does anyone have a link to the actual music used here? I'm not even close to hitting end-game stuff (just finished Haukke Manor) but drat if I'm not jealous of how fun that fight looks.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Seeing people bitch about DPS not doing enough damage output has me worried. I love playing ARC/BRD so far (still only at 31, however) and hope I'm doing all right. My general idea is to keep my two DoTs on my target, Blood Shot when applicable, spam Heavy Shot until Straighter Shot procs and use that, rinse and repeat until Misery's End lights up.

I often forget I have Raging Strikes in the first place, which is probably going to be an issue down the road. That one, I'll try to fix on my own. Any advice for being more useful or effective for the teams I'll be joining in the future?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Tiramisu posted:

If you forget to activate buffs in the first place, use a falldown macro to place them before your heavy shot. It's better to have your buffs up at inopportune times than never up at all.

/macroicon "Heavy Shot"
/ac "Raging Strikes" <me>
/ac "Heavy Shot" <t>

If it can't activate raging strikes it'll just heavy shot instead.

You should really just get used to stacking your buffs and smashing bloodletter whenever it's up though.

Bloodletter is what I meant by "Blood Shot" up there when I said I used it when applicable. The one name I couldn't remember. :shobon: That macro is a great idea, though. I'm just going to have to remember to turn off the "cannot activate" messages, correct? Or if it's on cooldown, it will just give me the pink "Skill is not ready" text at the top of the screen?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Happy Blue Cow posted:

There isn't really another tip, the close-range jobs need to pay more attention and move away quicker. They give plenty of time to move in/out once the color prompt appears.

One possibility is the close-range jobs are walking-backwards while locked on to the target, which is slightly slower than strafing away or turning your lock-on off and running.

Or using Legacy camera control, which gets rid of the backward-walking shuffle more or less completely. Controller users have this on by default, but it's more difficult to get used to on a keyboard setup.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Speaking of which, I'm curious about a line that shows up during one of the Quarrymill/Buscarron's Druthers story missions. You confront a corrupt wood wailer, and if you have a female character, he calls you an "(insert race here)" bitch" before siccing some imperial soldiers on you. I'm curious about what he calls you if you play a male character.

My friend and I did this quest almost simultaneously while skyping, and I had the same thought. Playing a guy, you get "bastard" for the insult of choice.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Nostrum posted:

I saw this buried on the ffgoons forums but god drat does it loving own bones:

http://craftingasaservice.com/

Should be in the OP. Calculator for leveling and gearing all DoH/DoL classes.

Holy loving poo poo. :aaaaa: That gear list is the best loving thing I've ever seen.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

Now they just need to make a thing that shows me all of the baseline mats I need to craft a selected item so I can just gather them all myself.

Make your starting and ending level the same for the recipe you want, and make sure self-sufficient is ON. Does that help?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

What's a good macro for marking targets quickly as a tank? Hoping to get into MRD soon (after setting up some Healing For Dummies macros when I hit CNJ 15) and marking seems like such a useful thing, I'm just not sure if there's a quick way to do it or not while also keeping attention on all mobs at once.

On the other hand, I'm probably overthinking it.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Ragequit posted:

This is terrible - I seriously have to use the duty finder to find a group for the level 15 story dungeon Sastasha? I so far have found one other THM.

It honestly helps to shout that you're looking for a group for Sastaha — especially mention that you need to get through for the story. If you're on Cactuar, I'll be on soon and could CNJ for you.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

What started out as some bored FATE grinders in N. Thanalan lining up their unicorns by height...

TURNED INTO A REVOLUTION

Until the next FATE popped.

Wait, why are some of the girls there riding side-saddle? :raise:

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

victrix posted:

I do wish the game put a mark over the tanks current target at all times though.

victrix posted:

Good tanks switch targets to keep aggro high on all engaged mobs.

Sounds annoying.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Etrips posted:

If we didn't have this, then tanking would be the most boring thing in the game.

More meant that constantly showing what a tank has targeted, when a good tank is constantly switching targets to maintain aggro, just sounds like an epileptic's nightmare.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Having just unlocked Brayflox, but not enough time to sit in queue before scheduled maintenance, I have a question. Since this is the 30+ dungeon, will there be new sets of armor to collect? What set should I keep my eyes peeled for as a DPS?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you're a caster you will see Battlemage plenty but the healer will always need it and win.

Good farm for tanks though.

I'm a Bard. :saddowns:

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

See that Dragoon? He needs that poo poo more than you do.

EDIT: Seriously though, it isn't that big of a deal. IIRC the infantry set is just another subligar outfit and while the stats are good you don't need anything other than quest items when leveling.

Which is doubly ironic, because my buddy who plays with me... is the Dragoon of the group. (Mostly I just really like having a matching set that looks fabulous. The dungeon sets tend to look better to me than the ones you end up collecting over the story.)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well look at it this way, unless you have a Dragoon or Monk in the group it automatically goes to you if it drops :shobon:

This is true. One nice piece about DPS is that it can split between physical and casters, whereas DPS casters will always have to compete with the healers.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

Why do people grind out all of the armor sets? Just to collect them for when cosmetic slots are added, or is there a way to scale them up to higher levels?

When I hit that level with my other classes, then I know for a fact that I can convert/discard/store any equipment underneath that level and free up about a bajillion slots in my armory chest. :shobon: They're nice benchmarks that give me something to do to fill the occasional grind of this game.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Using the Dragoon flow-chart from the above, I wrote out a set of macros for a friend who has just gotten to Dragoon. Would anyone care to refine this and/or fix the cooldown times that I'm sure must be incredibly inaccurate?

http://pastebin.com/6QqrBkPb

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Leal posted:

Assuming the person saying "Had no catgirls, therefore sucks" is talking about GW2, it DOES have catgirls!

Think he was more pointing out the "her flower remains unplucked!" line.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

kharaa posted:

Wiping a bunch in Turn 1 - http://twitch.tv/ananke01

If you're using your mouse to select your heal targets off the party list, it would probably help you to know that you can rearrange them to have less hovering and sliding around on the list. Do it from the party member menu in the social list.

(Me, I would probably just end up with another bar entirely filled with macros to click or tap through instead of using the party list at all. :shobon:)

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

kharaa posted:

Yeah, I know about that. I'm more of a party healer in this group though, so I pretty much just go by who's low rather than any sort of priority. Sometimes I move the list around for shits, though.

Fair enough! Far be it from me to presume to know more than people who can actually manage these dungeons and not go insane, just thought it would be better to suggest it than not.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Tyberius posted:

Another ability that people miss is the Spike buff the 2nd boss gives itself during the last phase. DPS will need to slowdown or stop damage if they are low on health or they will kill themselves.

So that's what happened! My friend and I had a really understanding WAR/WHM combo join us for our first Brayflox run. I died twice on that thing, not knowing what had happened. They apologized for not explaining the fight well enough, but I was still pretty confused what the hell had taken me down once it was over since that thing definitely still had aggro on the tank.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I just unlocked the ability to switch classes, and I'm wondering if I should wait until I get access to more features before really delving into the crafting system. I've tried a bit of it, and it seems fun, but without a bank and an auction house it seems like it might quickly get out of hand. What would be the recommended course of action?

Another question: Is there any point to levelling something like Weaver as a Gladiator if I'd only use it to make high quality materials for Armorer and Blacksmith recipes? Or should I just buy the materials and save myself a headache?

The second one is a trick question. You will eventually be all of the classes, so if you think you might enjoy something that is not a tank, it will be worth it to put levels into Weaver. Weaver also creates the clothes that give you better crafting and gathering stats, so you definitely want to put some effort into it if you'd like to do any of the crafting or gathering classes. Don't feel obligated, do what feels fun, but everything is worth leveling up at some point or another.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Very serious question: does anyone know where the sound effects are stored in this game's directory? The sound of a file is physically discomforting to me and it's keeping me away from Blacksmith and Armorer, not to mention other players leveling the classes up in random areas.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Okay, what the hell is going on? I bought crysta for myself and a friend and we're trying to use it to pay for our monthly subscription. It hasn't actually deducted the total from anything and it still says we only have one day left. Please, someone, tell me how to pay for it immediately and not on an automatic renewal basis. :eng99:

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Pretty sure it doesn't actually go into effect until your free trial runs out.

Then, uh... how exactly do people have their 90 day Veteran Rewards already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Veib posted:

It's a huge pain in the rear end to heal if people aren't avoiding things properly (spoiler: they usually aren't). Poison, poison everywhere.

Sounds like it must be a riot for SCH. Since, you know, they don't have Esuna.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Healer Chat!

First of all we need to talk about UI. This is the best I've found so far. It allows easy clicking of party members, and still lets you see what the gently caress is going on. If anyone has suggestions or wants to post a better (or worse) UI feel free!

I'm so jealous of people with screen realty to be able to pull this stuff off. :negative:

Also, to answer your question in that screenshot: ACN gets a battle-raise skill at 22. They get to keep it as SCH.

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 6, 2013

• Locked thread