Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

HotBobaloo posted:

So is there an accepted method for leveling a tank for the first time? Like glad till 20 then marauder till some specific ability? Or am I just thinking about this too much and just get glad to 30 then con to 15 for pal? I'm currently 18 glad.

The only thing worth taking from Marauder is Foresight which you get at level 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

So I rolled greed on an Ifrit's codex when there was no Scholars in party, am I correct that there is nothing I can do with this other than use it on my own Scholar if I ever make one in the future (not planning to) ?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

So I think I'm getting my payback for short DF queues as tank by not having my Ifrit weapon drop, i'm halfway to my Mythology cap solely from HM Ifrit runs.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

mrwuss posted:

He is a tank. Just requeue. Tanks get insta everything.

loving tanks!

Excuse me, I had to wait a 9 minutes for Ifrit HM yesterday as Paladin. :colbert:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Flumpus posted:

Hm, ok... I was definitely waiting for him to pull the guys before jumping in. As far as hitting the correct target, what should I be looking for? When he's got three or four guys around him, there's one I should be targeting specifically?

You should be either attacking the targets in order he has marked (they will have a 1,2,3 or 4 above their head), if he's not marking them then just attack the same target he is attacking. You should also keep an eye on the emnity meter it's the little bars that appear in combat to the left of the player names in the party list, the mob will attack whoever's bar is full. So generally the tanks bar is always full but if your bar is getting close to filling (you might be doing too much damage for the tank to keep up with) then just back off with damage for a little bit for your bar to drop.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

BDawg posted:

What's the best way to mark targets? Should I create 4 macros, click a mob and hit the macro?

Right-click and mark seems more difficult in this game.

I just use a Hotbar and shortcut keys with control + 1-6, you can find the marks to drag onto a hotbar under the signs button which is with all the other buttons on the bottom right.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

What am I missing with the ilvl 70 crafted armor? it's got worse stats than Darklight but requires substantially more Philosophy tombs to make than it does to just buy Darklight. I understand that the HQ set is potentially better than Darklight with materia but the cost to create that would just be a waste of time.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Aladar posted:

Is there a way to speed mining up with an in-game macro or something? I need shards and having to click it every single time is getting kind of old :(

Using a controller helps a lot since you can just walk up to the node and mash the A button till done.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Ugh I really wish there was more ways to earn Tombs, at this rate I'm going to become the dick complaining about people not skipping cutscenes. :cripes:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

How do you get craftmanship/control high enough for the highest level crafting stuff ?

Darksteel ingots requires 347 craftmanship and Darksteel equipment needs 318 control, I'm at 312/303 with a HQ set of ilvl 55 (nothing higher afaik). I can't add materia to make up the difference as all the gear is already stat capped in Craftmanship/Control or I can use lower level materia but it won't add up enough.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 24, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Mind over Matter posted:

All I can think is some high end buff food, but my crafting is only in the upper 30s so I really don't know what else would do it.

Yeah I just looked into this, I can push one of them over with a food buff and use low level materia to make up the other one maybe.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Can't believe they still haven't fixed the bugged NPC for the main story quest on Ultros, it's been like a week now of people being unable to progress the story beyond level 38.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've had to supply a serial number to Blizzard to recover my account before, pretty sure it was a similar deal with Arenanet and GW2. I think it's a fairly standard practice.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

tvayisnihyaami posted:

i know this but i just wanted to prepare for level 40 quest. i'm level 38 now so i don't know what to expect yet.

No it's not instanced, not sure why it matters though the Paladin quests didn't have anything very difficult.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Magres posted:

Holy poo poo people get so mad over the lambs in the Dark Devices FATE in North Thanalan.

Oh man look at all those "nerds" wanting to spend the minimum amount of time grinding, thank god for those people that have spent hundreds of hours grinding up DL/AF+1 and Relic+1 who can spend all their time slowing down those "nerds".

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

I'm confused on Amdapor Keep. I've seen people saying you need to have > AF gear to do it, so I thought I'd at least try to get an ilvl 50 weapon or something, and thought GC would be the easy way to do that. But the final Maelstrom promotion requires you to complete AK before you can get the high-level GC gear? Should I just grind tomestones for higher level gear instead of worrying about GC stuff?

You can easily do it with AF gear and and ilvl 55 weapon (buy from AH or run WP and hope for drops), being able to actually get into a DF group that is willing to run it with someone in AF gear is another matter. That said though don't bother aiming for the GC gear, you're much better off just grinding tomes and getting into DL. I'd also suggest running Ifrit HM for a chance at getting an Ifrit weapon (ilvl 70) and you still get some tomes from it, it's not that hard to complete in a PUG either.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Kuai posted:

why waste money on weapons when ifrit is easy as gently caress and better than any purchasable 50 weapon?

Because it can take an absurd amount of runs to get lucky for the drop, it took me well over 60 runs before I got mine for PLD. No loving way I'm going through that again with another class.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Agent355 posted:

How does it compare in tome cost to just getting the i70 stuff?

You still needs Tomes to get ingredients for the craft sets also, using the Heavy lower body as an example Darklight = 1320 Tomes and Darksteel needs 1125 Tomes (for Coke). Then you still need more ingredients ontop of those 1125 Tomes for Darksteel.

Boten Anna posted:

Servers have been down for over an hour now and I'm still laughing that a "hotfix" requires a client patch and hours of downtime

Oh SE never change :allears:

I don't get your point, there is multiple game play changes + bug fixes being made and they are implementing world transfers. Why wouldn't that require a client patch and downtime ?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Delayed another hour.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/a720225df5eb5938a796238f5374cc3d90e33626

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Dark Devices nerfed secretly, only spawns one mob on the roof every 10-15 seconds.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Apparently the halloween event is live? I'm at work so can't check.

Yes

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Chucat posted:

Also if you can't see the problem with putting in extremely tight reaction checks in a game where the standard of hardware and connection quality (not even to mention reaction times!) aren't universal constants isn't a terrible design choice I don't even know what to say.

Not to mention the servers for anywhere but Japan are located in loving Canada.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Welp lost a million gil to this hack/exploit thing going on :smith:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Blast of Confetti posted:

Definitely not. I joined a full party and only got silver for the crab event after whacking a good six or seven.

e:v I didn't get a thing.

Silver will do it fine, Lightning probably just didn't spawn for the fate which is required to get the drop.

Just do the Dodo fate as it's a single target and you don't have to contend with AOE spam.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Wait why are people still speedrunning Praetorium ?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

tvayisnihyaami posted:

I currently have paladin level 50 and I have a question regard to cross skills. I didn't know paladin could use marauder skills until now. Do I have to level marauder to gain these skills? Are they useful?

Level a Marauder to 2 and you're done.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Maxy Boy posted:

Have I just screwed myself out of $15? Is there some way to make it think I'm in the US?

You will need to create a new account selecting NA as your region, https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/register?lng=en&rgn=na&ref=cis_na&svcgrp=Service_SEA

I know this works however I do not know if you're going to have issues with future subscription payments.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

The game has a huge issue at the moment with required story dungeons and lack of new players coming in to fill the queues. I helped some new people through Toto-rak today, we had a party of a tank, healer and a dps and it took 50 minutes in duty finder to get the last dps.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

You jerks are making it harder and harder to resist changing to Lalafell.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

jkyuusai posted:

Reason I ask is that today I lack 1 piece of DL (have the AK piece) and have a weapon from WP, and got kicked out of a WP group for being undergeared for a 15 minute speed run. I've avoided asking to join speedrun groups up to now since I figured I'd get exactly that reaction. Just wanted to check and see if my baseline is skewed by that run.

They probably wanted the healer to DPS, it's the only situation where a healers gear kind of matters for WP speed runs. That said the healer DPSing doesn't make a huge difference in completion time unless you're trying to hit closer to 10 minutes.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

notZaar posted:

You're going to hate the lag when you get to endgame though, if that's your thing.

Actually it's like a 120 ping for Australia on Japan servers opposed to 350+ for NA. loving Canada.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

How much is it on non-legacy? Because now I am feeling like a giant sucker for keeping my old character.

4 million, they said legacy servers will be double the non-legacy servers.

Edit: That said though the example given was the cheapest legacy & non-legacy servers, so the more populated legacy servers could be even more than that.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 14, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Definitely DF queue for Titan HM to learn the rotation and get practice, that's pretty much soley what DF Titan HM is used for. Don't expect to actually complete it using the DF though, as said friends/fc or a server pug in Revenants Toll is where you actually complete it.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 16, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I forget, is Darklight gear the stuff you buy with tomes of philosophy, mythology, or do they drop from AK? Or is it WP?

Gah :mad:

Philosophy.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

I killed Titan HM in AF gear and two pieces of Warlock gear from WP, rest was leveling items from getting my new character's Black Mage to 50.

Yeah and I'm sure you did this in a PUG :jerkbag:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So don't pick bard? :v: From what I hear they're sort of DPS/Support more than pure support.

Archer/Bard is a good pick for what you want out of the game, it's easily the most versatile in the game and you will have no issues doing stuff solo. The nerfs are only things that would apply to people doing end game content and even then it's not that big of a deal.

It's also loving amazing being able to move while using skills.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Further evidence that The Mist is the best housing location, the swimsuit cat girls on the beach fan you with a giant leaf as you sit down under the umbrella.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

You can now see actual exp numbers above the bar for your Chocobo's rank, but whatever you do don't look at them.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I just can't comprehend whole they thought this whole fate thing was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

After going through Haukke HM I was really disappointed to find Copperbell HM uses the same music which just feels so out of place there.

• Locked thread