Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Let this be A Thread Reborn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

As a professional Dragoon I can tell you that our rotation is both effective and satisfying in it's zen like simplicity. You're taught pretty simply that you want all your debuffs you can deliver up and then watch as you spin and flourish your lance to being the prettiest melee.

Mordiceius posted:

So I have the game installed and plan on firing it up tonight.

A couple quick questions -

Do the classes here follow the traditional holy trilogy?
Yes
If so, would I be insane to start as a healer class?
No A lot of people did and are happy with it
If so, how long does it take to get to the point when you can switch classes? I think the OP said like 10 or so. How long does that take?
OP is correct, it takes 2-4 hours if you have no clue what you're doing.
Are there any classes that are complete traps that I should avoid?
Nothing is broken, everything is fun, once you find yourfun
Are there multiple healing/buffing classes? Which one is the greatest?
Bard Job unlocked at 30 is the only true support but it is primarily dps, there is no only buff people class. Scholars (Arcanist) and Whitemage (Conjurer) are the two healers right now
Is there any major differences between the races that actually affect class performance?
No, be pretty or swole or whatever
If so, which race makes the best healer?
Lalafels because while I am not one, they are the best animated and most adorable, nothing stat related.
And lastly, which race is the most anime?
Catgirls.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 27, 2013

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mrwuss posted:

Well, I mean if you didn't have to use the question what exactly is the point of having it on the account? Don't set one you forget the answer to.

I have the same problem and its not a matter of forgetting, they dont even tell you which of the four questions is the one to answer, and worse tell you they will respond to your request for a reset in 48 hours and two weeks later have done nothing.

Mogstation has done a phenominal job of cleaning up the bullshit of account management for SE but the culture of customer service is still playonline. Which is really bad because mmo players are much more willing to jump through hoops to give you money than the average consumer purchase.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Aug posted:

Are you unable to reach them via phone? Also, if they didn't have a security question system, how would folks be able to regain their hacked accounts???

I dare you to call them for anything, all they do is escalate the issue into a void of non response.

Secret questions arent bad but apparently the only way to change a malfunctioning secret question is with your secret question. Your perfectly valid password also has to be supplied.

This is akin to asking people to provide a password that doesnt exist to change their current password, I mean sure if you can manage it, super otherwise you can talk to no one and not add two factor authentication to your account, please look forward to it.

Agraya posted:

That security stuff is kind of important. They don't make you go through all that poo poo just to annoy you. Now you know to email it to yourself next time.

There more than just one or two of us whom are pretty sure whatever SE thinks we put in there 5 years ago under the Reign of Dark Lord Tanaka is not what we entered, having entered absoutely capitalization case on every question for hours on end. But yeah were just sloppy and foolish and not already frustrated with something that shouldnt be an ordeal for a video game. But please poke the agitated bear more. I'm not sharing these stories for sympathy, I'm doing so to point out some grade A bullshit in a game I otherwise love.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 28, 2013

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/104432-Free-Company-Capacity-Insufficient-Resources-to-Complete-this-Action

In which pubbies try to figure out how a group of people larger than a linkshell even exists.

Needless to say Tanaka's Ghost continues to haunt our progress.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

We've passed the initial rush of the game now and we would like to build some FC spirit and cooperation, this is a joint PBC/DGKK operation.
Our time is precicely calibrated to try to allow for maximum participation, it's this Sunday at 1:00pm PDT, 8pm GMT! If you haven't logged onto the game in a while now is the time for goon excitement that can only be properly experienced by shameless exhibitionism! Free company tags only required attire!

Please try to log on early as we may cause server congestion by flexing out collective login muscle, we don't know.

Our Route:
Wolves Den -> Limsa -> ferry -> Vesper Bay -> Uldah -> Gridania -> Ishgard

We will conclude the event with a great member purge out of PBC so if you haven't logged in a few weeks and can't now is your chance to warn us so we can hold you close to our hearts and not purge you.

Please look forward to it!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So I had to reformat my computer this evening. Where can I go to download the client again?

I tried looking this up for how I would do so and my amazon digital purchase has a download link in my "software library".

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If the hot fix day is really going to introduce zoning restrictions then our sunday event becomes even more important, so reminder:

RuanGacho posted:

We've passed the initial rush of the game now and we would like to build some FC spirit and cooperation, this is a joint PBC/DGKK operation. Our time is precicely calibrated to try to allow for maximum participation, it's this Sunday at 1:00pm PDT, 8pm GMT! If you haven't logged onto the game in a while now is the time for goon excitement that can only be properly experienced by shameless exhibitionism! Free company tags only required attire! Please try to log on early as we may cause server congestion by flexing out collective login muscle, we don't know. Our Route: Wolves Den -> Limsa -> ferry -> Vesper Bay -> Uldah -> Gridania -> Ishgard We will conclude the event with a great member purge out of PBC so if you haven't logged in a few weeks and can't now is your chance to warn us so we can hold you close to our hearts and not purge you. Please look forward to it!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Riceball posted:

Are you guys still purging accounts from PBC?

We are, after the Sunday Goon Run we're expecting a lot of churn.

We also expect that many of you will be transferring to Excalibur because that's a sane thing to do, DGKK our overflow has lots of room still.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Goon Run on Excalibur is in an hour. FYI.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dreadwroth posted:

Wow how did I miss that run? drat my needing to sleep!
So I'm having a really hard time finding people in DGKK to run the lvl 49 8-person boss thing, anybody need it and can help me out tomorrow possibly?
Every time I ask in-game I get silence, it's very frustrating.

Message me (Ruan Ares) in game next time you're having trouble if I'm around we'll get a run on it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kettlepip posted:

So I made a thing, GOON RUN 2.0

This was most a most excellent compilation, thank you.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Blast of Confetti posted:

Aww man, whenever I start a new MMO there's always some sort of downtime a few hours later. :(

Will I be able to sneak in to Excalibur once they're up in the morning?

If you try right when the servers come up, most likely.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

SE decided to bump our dead thread:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...l=1#post1449979

Camate posted:

Greetings,

While we do not have any plans to increase the cap for the maximum number of free company members, in the future we will be implementing a free company alliance feature that will allow you to connect with friendly free companies. We'll keep you updated on this feature!

So the cycle of violence was renewed:

Alhanelem posted:

I find it hard to believe there are any free companies large enough to be anywhere near the current size limit.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

As someone who rolled Dragoon first and is now leveling arcanist for both jobs I can tell you both are fine, being a drg can be kind of hard at times, as it's a little more involved than initial impressions may make you think, it's hard and nobody understands.

I plan to be an arcanist in the long term after I've also leveled the tank classes however.

Leveling is my life in game right now.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Blast of Confetti posted:

My FATEs in Coerthas have been me hitting the mob once, a 10 second delay for everything, then suddenly it's over.

Apparently Twintania was the network admin and is now very upset.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Gaius is going to Get his revenge as a cyborg created by Nero for his ultimate proof of his research

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Greetings from the goons in PBC/DGKK

Now that we've had the transfers level off we're at about 700 members between the Free companies on Excalibur.

Both FC's will invite people, DGKK will be easier to get in as it's not constantly pruning at cap.

We have a new thread at FFgoons to track people who may be absent but still intend to return to the game: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27193

Feel free to post any questions about Excalibur server here, or better yet sign up for ffgoons!

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 6, 2013

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Fauxtool posted:

that is weirdly phrased and sounds like you are talking to goons already in PBC/DGKK

"Greetings from the goons in PBC/DGKK" is probably closer to what you are trying to say

Wow we are at 700 even after free month wore off? Nice!

Yeah you're right, I got kind of out of my head there, tweaked.
Far as we can tell we will be maintaining about that much indefinitely so I think everyone is keen for the FC alliances system to come in.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Zero VGS posted:

I feel like I'm not getting the whole experience when half of Excalibur is goons, we don't even have the classic snobby Japan Only parties anymore.

For the record the best we can tell, and someone can correct me on this if they have better numbers, goons account for roughly 1000 accounts on excalibur with roughly 700 of those being "active" at this time. Based on what we know of pop caps we are probably roughly 1/5th the server.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Personally for me it was not learning the encounter that was the problem, it was learning the quirks of the client and it's willful misleading of mechanics.

If you haven't done the typical gaming adjustments to your network registry I suggest that as well, between that and the aforementioned I went from dying on almost every attempt to surviving till the end/wipe each time.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Luminous Cow posted:

What are these and where can I learn about them?

ttocs7 posted this on the ffgoons forum:

ttocs7 posted:

Optimizing your network connection
Dying to things that you've clearly run out of seconds ago? Noticing that the timing window is a bit too tight for some spells? Can't cancel spells unless you do it really early in the cast?

This might be the fix for you!

A few of my more hard-core raider friends were discussing this in IRC earlier - they tried setting this, and noticed an improvement in being able to get out of Bad Stuff, and better responsiveness from the game in general. It's all anecdotal (aside from some ping tests I did earlier today), but there are enough testimonials going around to suggest it's worth a shot.

Ping tests for me (I'm in Seattle, WA, US, and the datacenter is in Montreal, QC, CA) were as follows: Before, I was at 110 (in a cutscene) to 130 ping occasionally spiking to 150. Afterwards, the range dropped to 80-110, spiking to 130. Your mileage may vary depending on your ISP, whether or not you're on WiFi (don't play games on WiFi, seriously), and whatever else. The game in general feels snappier - I can cancel spells more reliably now, and getting out of Bad Things seems to register more correctly.

For those that played WoW, this sounds familiar: Both games use TCP to communicate with game servers (most non-MMOs use UDP, so this doesn't apply), so we're going to disable Nagle's algorithm (and increase the AckFrequency) to possibly lower your ping. Blizzard eventually updated WoW to disable Nagle's by default.

:siren:AS WITH ANYTHING WITH YOUR REGISTRY, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, AND TAKE NORMAL PRECAUTIONS BEFORE MODIFYING THE REGISTRY. :siren:

I take no responsibility if you screw up your computer performing this. If some network-related apps start behaving weird, you might want to consider reverting the changes before trying anything else.

Here's the instructions, shamelessly ripped and modified from http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/51444-reduce-game-network-latency-in-windows-7-or-vista/:

quote:

1. From the Start menu, type 'regedit', then hit enter. Or, if that doesnt work, you can launch it from a command prompt (usually in All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) “regedit”
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
3. Browse the items under interfaces until you find one that has an IPAddress entry matching the network interface you want to affect (typically LAN IP addresses start with 192.168 or 10.0); note that if your IP address is automatically assigned by a DHCP server you may need to look for a matching DhcpIPAddress instead of IPAddress
4. Right-click on the interface and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it “TcpAckFrequency”
5. Right-click the new TcpAckFrequency value and select Modify, enter “1″ (Hexadecimal radio button should be selected)
6. Right-click on the interface and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it “TCPNoDelay” (note that TCP is all uppercase this time – that’s intentional)
7. Right-click the new TCPNoDelay value and select Modify, enter “1″ (Hexadecimal radio button should be selected)
8. Verify that both TcpAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay now show up in the adapter’s property list with types REG_DWORD and values 0×00000001
9. Exit regedit and reboot (reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect!)
10. Play a game and enjoy your new low ping

Semi-technical reason, tucked in down here for those that are curious: Nagel's algorithm basically delays sending data to save bandwidth. Generally, game data is really small, so it's not a lot of bandwidth. Nagle's algorithm basically "batches" data together to reduce bandwidth usage. Here, we're saying "I don't care how much bandwidth I use, I want the data as fast as possible".

https://www.google.com/#q=nagle+algorithm

This has been something done by gamers for years, really it should be supported in some sort of GUI format as part of OSes at this point since there's enough people who would care to do it to make it a relevant feature.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 9, 2013

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Or you can download Leatrix's fix and it will do it automatically. This is something that used to be an issue with WoW as well but they eventually made it so it wasnt needed.

http://www.leatrix.com/leatrix-latency-fix

For those who aren't familiar with it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I did some digging to remember one of the other network tweakers I had used in the past and here is speedguide.net's TCP optimizer with rundowns of all the things you can do to change how your networking works:

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

Actually gets more into the technical side of it for those of you whom are feeling bolder.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ojetor posted:

Newbie question here: I just hit level 30 on my pugilist. Should I get 15 levels of Lancer now so I can become a Monk or should I not bother with that until I hit 50?

Always get jobs, Always. Do not try to get to 50 without a job.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Chakan posted:

The EVE thread(s) has a lot more pages than this one. Nobody there even tries to hide that it's not a fun game.

I'm fairly sure Chairman and I are the only ones who see this game as an opportunity to play with spreadsheets, for what its worth.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Here is a thread about videos and chocobos:

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27233

I will update the thread later as needed.

(This is the PBC video contest as related to: This stuff here)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Lance Streetman posted:

So can FC housing be shared between FCs? Because if not, DGKK is kinda hosed.

In my question about alliances on the main forums, they implied that they would be allowing allied guilds to do things like that.

That being said, we're planning for the PBC house to be open because all goons should be welcome.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

quote:

Corresponding quantities: Distance x traveled by light in a vacuum from x = ct: |642.8 million miles

Wolfram Alpha's estimation to the servers being up

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ThaGrandCow posted:

How many hectares is that?

quote:

Result: miles and hectares are not compatible.. Unit information: unit | dimensions | common physical quantity miles | [length] | length hectares | [length]^2 | area

:owned:

Patch should be live at 1:00am PST, in about 50 minutes if they're not double heatbreakers.

she has a pulse, I just selected datacenter and loaded excalibur...

I'm in and updated the company board.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 17, 2013

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm not messing with you guys.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Who?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

5 wards, 30 plots each:

I think we'll be fine.

Here is the plot 30 pic:

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 17, 2013

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I like this one, plot 13.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Reminder that we need your unity and praise for the sun in the PBC video contest:

(click for details)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Fozzie Bear posted:

seriously, 60 gil for each log but a stack of lumber for 80 gil... I really don't understand those economics.

Neither do pubbies. Labor has no value!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

PBC posted its entry with Adel's Goon Contest winning video today:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/124954-%28NA%29Free-Company-Recruitment-Contest-%28Excalibur%29

quote:

Free Company name Please Be Careful
World Excalibur
Free Company leader name The Chairman
Your character’s name:(Video by Adel Fortuna)
Main activity time of your Free Company 24 hours a day
An introduction for your Free Company From our humble origins as a professional Colossal Cave Adventures clan in 1979 to the modern-day gaming juggernaut we are today, Please Be Careful wishes to celebrate its 35th anniversary by offering internships to Excalibur's most promising raiders, crafters and roleplayers. If you become one of our carefully handpicked members, you will be prepared for a long, prestigious career in the fast-paced field of MMORPGs.
A message to prospective members Please provide three references and a gaming resume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CQ9YKo5_0

Along with that Circus Video our competition is things like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOUdKT0LvOQ

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 2, 2014

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Fifteen of Many posted:

I just picked this up! Out of curiosity, do you regulars bother with alts at all, given that any character can be any class/job?

Rolling an alt tends to cut you off from all the benefits of being on the same character, and there's enough to keep a single character busy since the 2.1 patch I haven't seen many people on their alts since the patch.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Thread needs more fun art:

Grats also to the EU monarchs on their Twintania kill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

So Adel was looking out the window and we found out the sun actually moves with the time of day.

Plus, cat at window, looking out.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 10, 2014

• Locked thread