Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
:siren: HOW TO JOIN PLEASE BE CAREFUL/DRAGONGOD KNIGHTKINGS :siren:
JOINING THE FREE TRIAL LINKSHELL

Try the FREE TRIAL or RECRUIT A FRIEND

Last updated August 20, 2014

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN
Available for PC, PS3 and PS4 Also available on Steam
Official site: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/
Account management: http://sqex.to/Msp
Goon off-site: http://ffgoons.com
IRC: #ffgoons on SynIRC

Nearly one year and three major updates after the relaunch of Final Fantasy XIV, the game and its community are still going strong. The goon groups still have hundreds of active members at all stages of progression, so whether you're brand-new, returning from playing at launch, or even a past player of the scrapped FFXIV 1.x, there's something here for everyone.

If you're still on the fence about joining, why not try the 14-day free trial?

The Armoury System is FFXIV's character progression system. In this game, your class is determined by your equipped weapon, and you can change your weapon anywhere in the overworld; this includes crafting and gathering, which are their own classes, have their own abilities and gear, and even have special class-defining equipment at maximum level. You can level up every class to maximum level, and a selection of the skills you earn as you level up a class can be used on other classes ("cross-class skills"). See the ARMOURY SYSTEM section on the official website for more information on how this works.

When a combat class reaches level 30, it has access to soul crystals, which turn your class into a job; they remove access to most cross-class skills, but in return grant five job-exclusive skills that are well-suited to group content. Your job level is tied to the associated class's level; for example, Paladin is the job associated with Gladiator, so if your Gladiator level is 37, your Paladin level is also 37.

The Armoury Bonus grants a 50% bonus to many sources of EXP for classes lower in level than your highest-level class. This makes up for the relative lack of quests for classes after your first.

For more information on the specifics of each class and job, see the Skill Tree on XIVDB.

Gladiators (GLA) use powerful sword and shield techniques to keep the attention of their enemies and survive blows that would devastate lesser beings. Gladiators act as tanks and disruptors, blinding, stunning, and disabling enemies while holding their attention with sword combos. Gladiators start in Ul'dah.

Marauders (MRD) use axes to cleave a path through the enemy's front line and protect the more fragile members of the party. Marauders tank primarily by smashing their foes' faces in and bathing in their blood. By doing so, they restore their own HP. Instead of preventing a large amount of damage like gladiators, marauders react to incoming damage by refilling their large HP pools via weapon skills and abilities. Marauders start in Limsa Lominsa.

Lancers (LNC) use all manner of two-handed pole arms to deal critical blows to their enemies. Lancers is a straightforward damage class, sacrificing defense for attack power to deal heavy damage, and fighting while moving around the target in order to gain access to combo bonuses. Lancers start in Gridania.

Rather than traditional combos, Pugilists (PGL) utilize stance changes that give them flexibility in their combo chains. Pugilists abilities grant them increasing amounts of Greased Lightning, a buff that is the result of some of their weapon skills. Greased Lightning increases attack speed and damage while lowering the global cooldown, allowing Pugilists to unleash attacks faster than most classes. Pugilists start in Ul'dah.

Archers (ARC) fire off arrows from afar, hindering their enemies and dealing damage from a safe distance. Archers have access to debuffing Weapon Skills and utility skills, like a group movement speed increase and a backstepping attack. Archers do not use melee-class combos, and instead rely on procs that enhance their shots. Archers start in Gridania.

(coming soon in Patch 2.4) Rogues use acrobatics, misdirection and potent poisons on their dual blades to efficiently take down enemies. Rogues are expected to start in Limsa Lominsa.

Conjurers (CNJ) invoke elemental spirits to damage their enemies and protect their allies. Wind and earth are used mainly for offense, while the water element is used for defensive maneuvers and healing. Conjurers also have access to the Sleep status effect for crowd control. As a primary healer they are obviously a welcome addition to any party, but a great Conjurer knows how to find the perfect balance of nuking, crowd control, and healing. Conjurers begin in Gridania.

Arcanists (ACN) summon their pet Carbuncle to aid them in combat. They boast a versatile toolkit, with DoTs, debuffs, and supporting spells. Arcanist is an extremely versatile class, and depending on your party makeup they can fulfill a number of roles. Arcanist is currently also the only class with two jobs. Arcanists start in Limsa Lominsa.

Thaumaturges (THM) (thaw-maw-turj-ez) deal in death, controlling the elements of fire, lightning, and ice in order to wipe out enemy parties. To maximize their output, they need to balance their Astral Fire (increased damage and MP cost of spells) with Umbral Ice (increased MP regen, decreased damage). Thaumaturges also have great crowd control with the ability to inflict AoE sleep. Thaumaturges begin in Ul'dah.

Paladin (PLD) requires Gladiator 30 and Conjurer 15. The paladin job is focused on tanking, and gains access to abilities that enhance mitigation and threat.
Warrior (WAR) requires Marauder 30 and Gladiator 15. The warrior job is focused on tanking, and gets a "Wrath" mechanic; they can charge up a stack of charges that can be held to increase their critical hit rate, or spent to use powerful job abilities.
Dragoon (DRG) requires Lancer 30 and Marauder 15. The dragoon job is focused on damage dealing; all of their job abilities are Jumps with various additional effects.
Monk (MNK) requires Pugilist 30 and Lancer 15. The monk job is focused on dealing damage. Monks gain three new Weapon Skills, expanding their combo options, as well as a powerful damage dealing stance and range closer.
Bard (BRD) requires Archer 30 and Pugilist 15. The bard job is focused on support. Bard remains a very potent damage dealer, but its powerful songs and debuff are the real reason to want one in a party. A good bard will spend most of their time pumping out damage, while moving to restore their party's TP and MP as needed and using debuffs at critical times.
(coming soon in Patch 2.4) Ninja requires Rogue 30 and a sub-class TBA. Ninja builds on rogue with a ninjutsu system that weaves together multiple stances to create powerful magical effects.

White Mage (WHM) requires Conjurer 30 and Arcanist 15. White mage is a job focused on healing. It's a fairly straightforward extension of conjurer, but single-target regen and Holy are good additions to its arsenal.
Black Mage (BLM) requires Thaumaturge 30 and Archer 15. Black mage is a job focused on area of effect skills, and its job skills reflect that.
Scholar (SCH) requires Arcanist 30 and Conjurer 15. The scholar job is focused on healing and support. While using the scholar soul crystal, Summon I and Summon II are modified to call fairies that provide buffs and heals.
Summoner (SMN) requires Arcanist 30 and Thaumaturge 15. The summoner job is focused on damage dealing and enhancing its pet. While using the summoner soul crystal, Summon I and Summon II are modified to call different egi, aspects of the primals.

The Disciplines of the Hand are the crafters of Eorzea:
  • Alchemists (ALC), makers of various potions, ethers and other consumables, as well as Arcanist and Conjuror weapons
  • Armorers (ARM), makers of heavy metal armor
  • Blacksmiths (BSM), makers of metal weapons and tools
  • Carpenters (CRP), makers of all things wooden
  • Culinarians (CUL), makers of food and drink that provide long-lasting buffs
  • Goldsmiths (GSM), makers of fine jewelery from precious gems and rare metals, including Thaumaturge weapons
  • Leatherworkers (LTW), who turn beast hides and sinews into medium armor
  • Weavers (WVR), makers of fabric, thread and light armor

The Disciplines of the Land are the gathering classes:
  • Botanists (BTN) gather wood, fiber and plants.
  • Miners (MIN) gather rock, ore and raw gems.
  • Fishers (FSH) gather sea creatures.

In no particular order:
  • FATEs are a Public Quest system: earn EXP, gil and seals for your Grand Company by participating in open events that appear all over the world.
  • Guildleves are repeatable quests available in the main cities and at adventuring camps, useful for supplementing the EXP you earn from other sources. You earn guildleve allowances over time and can bank up to 100.
  • The Duty Finder is an automatic party matching system that brings together players from multiple servers to complete dungeons and duties.
  • Daily Roulettes give you big bonuses for participating in a randomly-chosen duty.
  • Treasure Maps are gathered by Disciples of the Land, and point the way towards caches of rare crafting materials guarded by powerful monsters.
  • The Hunt sends you out to scout for notorious monsters, the most powerful of which require multiple cooperating alliances to take down.
  • Chocobo companions help you out with overworld combat, and can be customized both visually and with a talent tree.
  • Frontlines is city vs. city vs. city territory control PVP. The Wolves' Den is 4v4 arena PVP.
  • Housing is available for Free Companies (guilds) and individuals (both rooms inside your Free Company's house, and soon individual player houses).
  • Glamour prisms and dyeing let you customize your gear to appear however you wish.
  • Crystal Tower is a series of 24-man raids tuned for casual players, rewarding gear based on past Final Fantasy titles. The Binding Coil of Bahamut is a series of 8-man endgame raids that reward the most powerful gear available.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

GENERAL QUESTIONS
  • Is this game a sequel of FFXI? No. Besides elements of the setting and the Armoury system, the two games are very dissimilar; combat is much faster, travel is less onerous, there is a much higher emphasis on solo content in FFXIV, and EXP camps are no longer a viable way to level, much less the sole way. If you played FFXI and liked the setting and story but ended up frustrated with how much time you spent killing crabs, try FFXIV.

• What restrictions does the trial version have?
    • The trial is only open to new players who have not previously played the trial, participated in any beta test or already purchased the game.
    • The trial client is only available on Windows, not PS3 or PS4.
    • You may create one character per server on up to 8 servers.
    • The trial lasts 14 days. Trial characters are deleted after 90 days of inactivity
    • The level cap is Lv.20 on all classes.
    • You can carry up to 20,000 gil, and can't use the Market Boards, mail, or trade with other players.
    • You can't use zone-wide chat or send private messages to other players.
    • You can join existing linkshells (chat channels), but not Free Companies (guilds).
    • You cannot invite other players to parties, but can use the Duty Finder (automatic party matching).
    • You can't log into the community sites like The Lodestone or the official forums.
    • All these restrictions are removed if you subscribe.

• I haven't played for a long period of time. What is new? For a summary of updated features, refer to this spreadsheet; more detailed information about each patch can be found at the Lodestone's Patch Log.

• Where can I find gear upgrades? Check this spreadsheet for information.

PURCHASING AND SUBSCRIBING
  • Where can I buy the game? FFXIV is available in physical form from your friendly local retailers, in digital form from Steam, Amazon, GreenManGaming, GameStop, Square-Enix Store and others, and on the PS3/PS4 PlayStation Store. Prices vary by retailer and region.
  • How much does it cost to play? FFXIV is a subscription game. Purchasing the game gives you one free month. The service fees for additional time are:
    • Entry Service (1 character per server, 8 servers max)
      • 30 days: $12.99 / £7.69 / 10.99 € / ¥1,344 per month
    • Standard Service (8 characters per server, 8 servers max)
      • 30 days: $14.99 / £8.99 / 12.99 € / ¥1,554 per month
      • 90 days: $13.99 / £8.39 / 11.99 € / ¥1,449 per month
      • 180 days: $12.99 / £7.69 / 10.99 € per month (180 days not available in Japan)
    • Legacy Campaign Service (8 characters per server, 8 servers max, for players who subscribed for 3 months in FFXIV 1.0)
      • 30 days: $9.99 / £6.89 / 9.99 € per month
      • 90 days: $8.99 per month
      • 180 days: $7.99 per month

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
  • Do PC, PS3 and PS4 players play on the same servers? Yes.
  • Which data center do I pick? Find the server you want to play on in this list.
    • Elemental: Aegis / Atomos / Carbuncle / Garuda / Gungnir / Kujata / Ramuh / Tonberry / Typhon / Unicorn
    • Gaia: Alexander / Bahamut / Durandal / Fenrir / Ifrit / Ridill / Tiamat / Ultima / Valefor / Yojimbo / Zeromus
    • Mana: Anima / Asura / Belias / Chocobo / Hades / Ixion / Mandragora / Masamune / Pandaemonium / Titan
    • Aether: Adamantoise / Balmung / Cactuar / Coeurl / Faerie / Gilgamesh / Goblin / Mateus / Midgardsormr / Sargatanas / Siren / Zalera
    • Primal: Behemoth / Brynhildr / Diabolos / Excalibur / Exodus / Famfrit / Hyperion / Lamia / Leviathan / Malboro / Ultros
    • Chaos: Cerberus / Lich / Moogle / Odin / Phoenix / Ragnarok / Shiva
  • Do North American, European, Asian and Oceanic players play on the same servers? Yes. There are two hosting centers: Group JP, located in Japan, and Group NA/EU, located in Montreal, Canada. However, anybody can make a character on whichever server group they want. If you're a European player, you won't see any difference in latency between the (EU) servers and the others.

• If I buy a PC copy, can I play on PS3 or PS4 (or the reverse)? You need to buy a key for the platform you're playing on. If you want to play both on PC and PS3, you need to buy keys for both platforms. However, once you do, your character can be played on both.
  • If I already bought PS3 copy, can I play on PS4? Yes. All current PS3 players will be able to play on PS4 without purchasing an additional platform key. However, you will have to convert your PS3 access into PS4 access, and lose the ability to play on PS3.
  • Should I buy a copy on Steam if I'm already a PC player? No. You won't be able to register the key to your existing account.
  • I bought the standard edition for my platform. Can I buy the collector's edition later to get the upgrade? No, but you have two options: either buy the collector's edition for a different platform, or buy the digital collector's upgrade directly from S-E for $20/£15/15 €/¥2,366 depending on region.

• I want to add a key to my account. Do I add a platform, or add a service account? Add a platform. Adding a service account makes a separate second account.
  • I didn't read this post, and I added a service account instead of a platform. How do I fix it? Fill out this Square-Enix support form.

• Where can I get the PC client? http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/playersdownload/na/. However, you must have an active account to update it.

• Should I use an authenticator? Yes. You can buy a keyfob authenticator from S-E for $11, or you can install a software authenticator on your phone or tablet (available for iOS and Android). By adding an authenticator to your account, you will get to teleport to one location of your choice for free.

STARTING OUT
  • I want to play on Excalibur, but character creation is disabled. You have a couple options: you can wait for an off-peak time (mid-week and morning EST are the best times) to make a character, or you can make a character on a different server and transfer it to Excalibur for an $18 fee. Generally, waiting is the better option. The server availability is updated at the following times:

SQUARE-ENIX posted:

During periods of high congestion, we may institute a temporary restriction on the creation of new characters.
    This information will be updated at the following intervals: 
    4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT)
  • Does it matter what race I pick? Mechanically, the difference in stats at Lv.50 for any given pair of races is less than 1%. The difference between races is almost completely cosmetic.
  • Does it matter what nameday/guardian I pick? Not currently. These are cosmetic at the moment, and might be used in later updates to provide you with small bonuses like nameday presents.
  • Does the question the merchant asks me in the first cutscene matter? Your answer determines the stats of a Lv.1 ring you receive:
    • "To gain power." Ring of Fortitude (Critical Hit Rating +1)
    • "To win glory." Ring of Fidelity (Vitality +1)
    • "To amass a fortune." Ring of Fortune (CP +5)
    • "..." Ring of Freedom (Determination +1)
    The best one to choose is probably the Ring of Fortune, since CP+ gear for crafters is the hardest to find at early levels.

• How do I choose what city I start in? Your choice of starting class determines what city you start in. Refer to the class list above.
  • How many classes can I level? You can level every class. There is no cap on how many classes you can level.
  • How do I unlock a new class? Go to the receptionist at the guild whose class you want to unlock. The guildmaster will hand you a weapon; equipping it will unlock the class.
  • I went to a guild and the receptionist wouldn't give me a quest. Complete your first class's Lv.10 quest first.
  • The class I want to unlock doesn't have a guild in my city. Complete the Lv.15 story quest for your airship pass, then travel to that city.

• Which quests should I be doing? The most important quests to do are the Main Scenario quests (the ones marked with a meteor icon), since feature unlocks are tied to your main scenario progress.

FURTHER GAMEPLAY
  • What do the stats do? Hover over the stat names in your Character window for information about what they modify.
  • Where should I allocate my points? Points are allocated per class. Every class will have 30 points to allocate at level 50.
    • GLA, MRD: Vitality
    • LNC, PGL: Strength
    • ARC: Dexterity
    • CNJ: Mind
    • THM: Intelligence
    • ACN: Mind (SCH focus) or Intelligence (SMN focus)
  • Where is the "flank"? The sides. Anything that isn't "front" or "back" is the "flank". You can see on the ground target circle where back ends and flank begins where the line changes thickness:

• Is there a quick way of switching between gear sets? Open the Gear Set menu, then drag the name of the gear set to an open slot on any hotbar. You can now use that hotbar button to switch to the corresponding gear set.
  • What is spiritbond? Spiritbond is a measure of how much EXP has been earned while the gear is equipped. Once you've maxed out the spiritbond, the item can be converted into materia (if the item has the tag "Convertible").
  • How do I make materia out of an item? The main scenario quest gives you access to materia conversion around Lv.20. Once you've unlocked conversion, right-click a piece of convertible gear with full spiritbond and select Convert.
  • Why can't I meld materia onto an item? You have to have the corresponding Discipline of Hand class to meld materia; for example, to meld materia to a Lv.25 sword, you would need Blacksmith 25. You can request a meld from someone else by right-clicking them and choosing "Request Meld", and they will attach the materia to your item without the ingredients leaving your inventory.

• How do I "initiate a leve"? Open your quest journal, select the guildleve from the list, then click the "Initiate" button. It's best to be in the area marked on the map so that you're close to it when it starts.
  • I'm trying to do this FATE, but I can't attack anything. You're over-leveled for the FATE. Click the LEVEL SYNC button in the quest tracker to sync down to its level.
  • Is there a gear calculator I can use to figure out my optimal equipment? Yes.

UNLOCKS
  • When can I start doing dungeons? The first dungeon is Sastasha, available at level 15 and unlocked by doing the main scenario quests.
  • When do I get a mount? Once you can join a city's Grand Company, which happens around Lv.20 in the main scenario quest, you can spend 2,000 Company Seals to purchase a chocobo from your GC's quartermaster.
  • How do I make my mount fight alongside me? Complete the Lv.30 quest "My Feisty Little Chocobo" from Camp Tranquil, Central Shroud.
  • Where do I purchase the Gysahl Greens to summon my mount for battle? Besides the vendor in Camp Tranquil, they can be purchased from Maisenta (New Gridania 11, 11), Bango Zango (Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks 9, 11), and Roarich (Ul'dah, Steps of Nald 10, 9).
  • How do I unlock guildleves? Go to your starting city's Adventurer's Guild and talk to the levemete at the desk for the initial unlock quest. From here, you can now unlock the levemetes in each camp you visit.

• I see other people re-coloring their armor. How do I do that? On a Lv.15 or higher class, bring a bottle of orange juice to Vesper Bay in Western Thanalan. Buy the orange juice from the Potwatch in Ul'dah: Steps of Thal.
  • How do I put a Free Company seal on my armor? Go to the OIC Officer-of-Arms in the Grand Company associated with your FC. (For PBC, this is Ul'dah. For DGKK, Limsa Lominsa. Check the Free Company window for other FCs.)
  • How do I get additional storage space? When can I list things on the market boards? Complete the Lv.17 story quest. Once you've completed the first three story dungeons, you'll be given access to retainers. Go back to any city's shopping district and look for a "two heads" icon for the retainer desk, where you can unlock, name and customize the appearance of your retainers.

IN CONCLUSION
  • I have a question about a more advanced topic, like crafting or the endgame. Your best bet is taking a look at the compilation of resources available on our offsite forum, FFgoons.
  • What is a yalm? Three fulms, or 36 ilms.
  • Should I be hasty and reckless? No. Please be careful.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 31, 2014

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

THE MAIN GOON GUILD

DATA CENTER PRIMAL
Excalibur Please Be Careful/Dragongod Knightkings (Webpage)
If you wish to be invited to PBC/DGKK, please register for FFgoons and follow the instructions that you can see once you're authorized. Registration for accounts less than 3 months old or with less than 10 posts may be declined; if you feel you're an exception or were incorrectly restricted, contact me.

Excalibur Goons On Trial - a linkshell for new players on the free trial. See here for information on who to contact.

(as of the most recent update)

OTHER GROUPS

DATA CENTER AETHER
Cactuar Scratching Post: contact any member or apply at Mist 1st Ward #8 (outside Limsa Lominsa)
Midgardsormr Konako: apply at The Goblet 1st Ward #7 (outside Ul'dah)

DATA CENTER PRIMAL
Exodus Principality of Zeon: apply at The Goblet 1st Ward #13 (outside Ul'dah)
Leviathan Aggression: contact a Recruiter or apply at Mist 2nd Ward #15 (outside Limsa Lominsa)

If you're in a group on another server that's looking for members, PM The Chairman

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 12, 2014

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

WetSpink posted:

So does the fact that there's a new thread mean that it's no longer blocking people from making new characters on goon server, queues are gone and crashes are cleared up?

Lately, Excalibur's available during offpeak times, like weekday mornings.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Could one of you in ZEON link me the Lodestone page for your FC?

That goes for anyone else in any other goon group that's taking new people.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Shoopuf posted:

It this what you're looking for?

That's it, yeah.

Shoopuf posted:

It this what you're looking for?

And, again, does anyone know why the <p#> commands don't seem to be working for my attempt at a macro?

It's just <#>, where 0 is you and 1-8 are the first-eighth members.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 16, 2013

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

Someone who was utterly soul-crushed by how relentlessly grindy and time-sinkish FFXI was give me a no bullshit assessment of FFXIV. Is it literally a full-time job to play this game?

Besides some aspects of the setting and some of the names of jobs, very little is similar between this game and FFXI. There's no equivalent to EXP camps, story quests are given consistently at all levels instead of doled out once every few hours, and every class can solo capably. For the times when groups are necessary to complete content, there's a LFG tool that'll match you with cross-server players while you do something else.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Joshy Bear posted:

I'm an EU player; are there any sizeable EU goon guilds, or should I start up on Excalibur and deal with time zone issues, larger portion sizes, and damnable incorrect pronunciations of e.g. Vase, Lieutentant?

All the North American and European servers are hosted in Montreal, so even if you played on one of the (EU) marked servers, you wouldn't get any appreciable performance improvements. Pick whatever server you want.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Just to make it as clear as possible for people who don't look at the OP:

:siren: AMAZON AND GREEN MAN GAMING HAVE PC KEYS FOR SALE :siren:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

euphronius posted:

Please put crafting guide in the OP or a link to it.

I linked to it. I didn't want to put the entire thing in the OP because I thought a couple paragraphs about combat and then five pages about crafting would've been an odd balance.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Doublestep posted:

I haven't seen a bad class storyline. Paladin has an ehhhhhhhhh moment at 45 but that it for me so far.

Really? I thought the 45 quest made up for the dull-rear end "HONOR! HONOR! HONOR? HONOR!" from 30 to 40. It's funny when the Sultansworn captain realizes he's being played and the Roegadyn guy is the sole good guy in all of this.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm having a very hard time enjoying the cities because of the lack of a map system that shows flow from one area into another on the same page. I can't be the only one that finds them confusing?

There's a region connection map, and you can click the names of regions on borders to see adjoining regions' maps.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Doublestep posted:

Read the duskwight elezen lore

play the archer storyline

They're all a bunch of fucks.

The lancer story, too. Foulques hates the Lancer's Guild and thinks they're cowardly because he was incorrectly accused of theft, but none of his guildmates would defend a Duskwight.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

I had the game at original launch and I guess I'm not as cool.

The 21 days 1.0 players got expired today, yeah.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

I was curious about that, after playing SCH in a low-level dungeon and finding the fairy did most of the tank maintenance. In general, can you just park the fairy next to the tank and have it do the majority of the tank cures while you DD or patch other people up, or does that fall off in later levels?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

Bought this today on a whim using the GMG coupon, installed, creating a character went to pick Excalibur for the server and... its locked :negative:

Guess I have to look elsewhere.

If you can, make a character some time in the morning.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Tonight, someone from another FC got on the "Excalibur Leaders" linkshell and publicly accused PBC of having a member who would impersonate Justin Bieber in-game and trick people into doing "sexual things" with them. I don't even loving know.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

KaneTW posted:

Why is there an 'Excalibur Leaders' LS in the first place

I don't know, but I think this made it worth joining

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Spaceman Future! posted:

As it is I'm stuck on Aegis because that's where the cool kids were before this game actually got good and I didnt see the email telling me to shift over until.. like a month after I could, so Im kinda not likin where I'm at.

Well whose drat fault is that? Is Square-Enix supposed to make you check your email, or read this thread, or read ffgoons?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Spaceman Future! posted:

I wasn't blaming anyone. Did someone run over your dog today or something?

Did someone run over yours?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Berryblood posted:

I'm off to a great start. I figure I'll make my account on ffgoons while installing and be productive. So much so I misspell my own drat name there. So, I guess if someone there could change the f in my name to a d, so that it's Berryblood not Berrybloof, that would rule. I'm having a sick day, I'm just going to hide while this finishes downloading now.

Done.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

If I remember right, "Treasure Hunting" is going to be content for Disciples of the Land where they can dig up treasure maps.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

THE PWNER posted:

Does anyone know a site that sells gamecard keys online? SE won't take my credit card and I can't even get to the part where you pay for Crysta. I have no options.

I've seen some people elsewhere say they've had success with buying 60-day game cards from GAME.co.uk; it ends up being around AU$30.50. If you do try this, let me know if it works.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 22, 2013

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

The Letter from the Director Live from Tokyo Game Show video is available at http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tgs13/sqextv/ (click the 9月21日 button), if you're interested in seeing some pictures and clips of upcoming content. The presentation has occasional English subtitles, so you won't be completely lost.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Kessel posted:

3) Related to the above, I expect to be in Japan for at least six months more but am not sure where I will be after, so I am worried about payment options. If I buy the game from an NA shop, I'm going to get an NA release version that will only take North American payment options, right? If I buy a JP copy off the shelf here will I be locked into Japanese payment options forever, or is that Playspan card thing they mention on their website all-region?

It depends on what billing address you register your account to. If you still have a NA payment method and address, make sure you register a Square-Enix account there and purchase an NA key for it. I don't think there's a method for moving an account between regions.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Kessel posted:

Thanks for the answers, it sounds like a complete mess.

I'm assuming that whichever region key I purchase, I can make characters on whatever server I like, and that the client is in both English and Japanese?

That's right.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Magus42 posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what each limit break does? And when people mention bard as having the healer limit break, does that only apply if you have the job crystal equipped, or for Archer as well?

There is one in the OP, in fact

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

I haven't noticed that at all. If I provoke/shield toss something that's on the healer out of reach of me, I can't immediately hit it until the model arrives in reach.

If that were true, how would kiting work?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

NIV3K posted:

So, I recently started this game. I'm playing a Gladiator and I just got to the quest Disorderly Conduct which asks you to get four customers orders at the Coffer & Coffin. I found three in the bar, but I cannot find a fourth person no matter where I look. I'm I just looking in the wrong place or did something go wrong with the game?

The barkeep tells you where the fourth guy is. On the hill above the bar.

UnintendedSpittle posted:

Anyone know a good site with better maps than the in game? I find the in game map extremely confusing when trying to get through more than one zone...

For instance, I am in Lim Lominsa?? And nothing on the map says Zephyr Gate, I have to run around until I get lucky and hit the right one.

If you don't see any names on the map, make sure you didn't turn off the map annotations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Red Suit posted:

I have a question that isn't answered in the OP and this thread is pretty big. I heard that there were massive server congestion problems upon release. Is it still like that? Is it safe to buy the game yet?

Many servers still have (short) queues during prime time, but generally the congestion issues are over.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Once you've applied your authenticator, make sure to get your recovery password in case you need to remove it later.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

Is there really no place to do FATE grind from 40 - 45? I'm waiting for friends to catch up so that we can do Stone Vigil and I wanted to get a few levels while waiting.

Mor Dhona is probably the best for that range.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Also, if your current party can't be filled by the duty finder, like if you have two tanks or 3 damage dealers, then you'll need to fill out the party manually.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I'm honestly considering picking up a PS3 copy just so I can slob out on the couch for easy stuff. (I take it I can get it on PSN right?)

You can. SEN/PSN link's in the OP, even.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

victrix posted:

Emergency removal password {Can I have it?}

Where the hell is this thing located? I have a token connected to my account, but I added it a looooooooooooooong time ago (years), and I can't for the life of me find the ERP anywhere on SE's account page (surprising, I know).

This is a 'just in case' thing, but I figure better safe than sorry in case I lose the token.

1. Log into Mog Station.
  2. Click Square-Enix Account Settings > One-Time Password.
  3. The emergency removal password is shown under "Token Usage Status".

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

The chocobo is good at lower levels for things like triggered encounters where multiple monsters jump you at once, but its effectiveness tapers off by the late 20s once you've got more of your skills.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

All the caster gear you can get around that level range will have INT and MND in equal amounts, so it's not too difficult.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Both tanks get an explicit pulling attack (ranged damage + enmity) at lv.15, when instanced groups start. I don't think it's a mystery that the combat designers intended tanks to pull.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Server transfer service info. Free for first five days of the service, then a price after that. I'll see if I can find the original Japanese post about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Summary of Yoshi-P's post about server transfers.

• The transfer service will be available for free for the first five days after it's introduced. Price for transfers after that grace period is TBA.
  • If you transfer servers, there will be a restriction on how much gil you can bring with you (TBA). Free Companies will not transfer with their leaders. Remove all items from the market boards and log out before transferring.
  • Transfers to high-population servers will be allowed, with the condition that you are fully aware that increased congestion may cause logins to be restricted again. Excalibur is listed as a high-population server (過密ワールド). Yoshi-P asks you to be very careful (十分にお気をつけください).
  • If you transfer to a server where someone else already has your name, you'll be asked to change yours, no matter how old the other person's character is (contrary to how it was done for the 1.0 transfers).

• Locked thread