Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So why are people so up on Fishing? Not having tried it, I've been assuming it's just like Mining and Botany, which are soul-draining hells. Is that not so for Fishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Did anyone mention how great some of the music in this game is? 'cause it is.

Butt rock with Titan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYFttdp-cY

And hell, why not Garuda too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6QAF0Ydkig

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

xZAOx posted:

I see that being a not-good-solution. Running something you're not geared for or good at, just to make a shorter queue time, is A Bad Idea. I'm not saying that's you, but when people start doing that, it'll just make those that sat in their DPS queue (because that's what they enjoy and what they're good at) have wasted their time when the tank completely sucks at his job, or is way under-geared.

Sure they're putting in item level restrictions too, so then you get the great strategy of "I can equip this cheap thing off of the marketplace to push my gear score up, even though it's the wrong type of gear".

The real solution remains the same! Never pug even remotely difficult content, heh.

I'd be happy with multiple roles for a class just so I could play Paladin without wanting to harm myself when solo time comes. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've really gotta make up my mind on what to level. As of just now I have 40 lancer, 35 marauder, 31 gladiator, and 30 thaumaturge, with a smattering of the rest as required. Eesh!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boho posted:

For EQ nerds, did anyone else think Coerthas Highlands had a very Marus Seru/Sanctus Seru vibe going, except for the fact that their city looks like Katta Castellum?

I hope they eventually open that city in a content patch. Maybe as a raid so I can kill those fanatical fuckers. So many times in that quest line I wished I could just blow those pompous xenophobes up and take what I needed instead of playing Game of Thrones or whatever.

Heretic spotted :commissar:

Speaking of Ishgard, is their religion explained anywhere, like the nature of the Holy See and such, or do they just generally worship the twelve same as the rest of Eorzea?

eta: i typed Isengard by mistake twice, damnit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

They appear to acknowledge the Twelve, but really only worship Halone.

Expansion storyline speculation:
It's all but assured at this point that Ishgard is going to be first expansion content, and I'm pretty sure I know how it's going to go down. Gaius' converation in the Praetorium is going to wind up being somewhat prophetic. Just as he said, a weak or desperate ruler is going to try and summon the Twelve just like any other Eikon and cause the EXACT same problems no different from a beastman. And what nation do we know that is the perfect mix of devout and desperate to do such a thing?

Yeah. Ishgard is going to be egged into summoning Halone by the Ascians in the first expansion. The player characters will either A) Be supporting the Pope in trying to stop a misguided sect of fanatics from doing this or B) Be supporting a plucky band of more sane theologians in stopping the Pope from doing this.

Cool, thanks. I always like it when gods/the "divine"/etc get involved in stories, Final Fantasy's included, so I hope your speculation bears out :shobon:

On another note, does Square Enix sell 90 day timecards on their insane labyrinth of a site somewhere? I want that evil eye mount thing, and I'm going to be playing at least that long anyway!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm sure it's more of a historical analogue than anything else, but these explanations of Ishgard and what I've seen ingame really remind me of a slightly-less-horrible WH40K Imperium. Strict theocracy right down to an all-powerful Inquisition, constantly beset by war from an alien horde, distrustful of non-humans/any non-Ishgard humans (PC excepted; this is a JRPG after all), and things are a bit poo poo for the proletariat.

Then again, I may be biased! :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 17, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cabbit posted:

Two questions:

1.) How much do the differences in starting statistics matter by the endgame? Is a Hellguard Archer going to be noticeably less useful than, say, whatever the hell those cat people are called (I'm assuming they have high dexterity, because cat people)?

2.) If I'm leveling Arcanist, how much time do I need to spend sticking around the Limsa Lominsa area? The geography of that city gives me a headache in a way the other two cities don't seem to replicate. Plus, the coloration of the sickly seafoam green beefcake dudes is vaguely unsettling.

Race matters for approximately jack and poo poo, stat-wise, by level 5, and it only gets worse from there. Don't worry about it, be the steel-wearing lalafell you always dreamed of being!

Did you pick Arcanist at creation? If so, your story quests keep you around there until level 15 or so, when you get an airship pass and get the grand tour (and the stories merge).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cavalry set. Man some of the gear in this game looks really loving good :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jerichojx posted:

Oh poo poo son. I am on like run 10 or something for my Cav set. That looks awesome. I am just missing my chest piece. In the mean time, I have geared up sooooo many healers.

How many runs did it take you?

Probably like fourfive, but I'm missing the belt and boots. The chest I got lucky and greeded while going through on Dragoon :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 17, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Terper posted:

You get a sizeable boost to your stats with PLD. Go for that. If your healers actually need you to use that Second Wind every 2 minutes then it doesn't matter what you are, the problem is them. And yes, Sword Oath is pretty good.

I presume for soloing you want to stick to GLA, since that nets you a bunch of DPS stuff (my choices: Internal Release, Raging Strikes, Blood for Blood, Venomous Bite, Straight Shot), right? Or am I badly underestimating Sword Oath/the extra PLD stats?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait, so full party fights aren't two tanks at all, they're "a tank and a totally bored stunbot"?

:geno:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Or just make Gladiators more fun. Maybe improve Riot Blade to make it worth using; a small damage buff (or vulnerability debuff on the target), or something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Valle posted:

I doubt it. Had a pub tank pull every goddamn grouping of 3 mobs by running into the middle of them, so wherever he turned at least one was behind him, and he seemed to take a shitton more damage than any other tank I've ever played with. Not really a problem though, as you only turn to run out of circular AoEs.

Is something wrong with this? I've always done that to make sure everyone gets the first flash (if I can't, I just shield lob then flash when they get to me) so that they don't even look at the healer funny. Then backpedal until they're all clumped in front of me. One of them starts an aoe, I strafe.

Is something wrong there? :confused:

(edit) As far as running away from circle aoes, I turn so I'm facing almost 90 degrees from mob facing and strafe left/right to exit the red spot. That way other mobs in the pull are still technically facing my front, so parry/block still work. Mouse steering supremacy, I guess.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rascyc posted:

You're taking some free hits at the beginning of a pull when damage is usually at its highest because nothing is debuffed and everything is alive. Break the habit. Unless you overgear the dungeon like all leveling dungeons up to SV, then who cares just do what keeps you sane.

I dunno, maybe I'm just picking nits. But I've found when I have to lob from max range (say in Haukke to pull back and dodge those patrolling succubi), by the time they're all close enough to flash, at least one's broken the line and started heading for the healer. Sometimes this has made the rest of the pull problematic, sometimes it doesn't, but I'm OCD enough to consider even a glance at my healer a personal failure v:shobon:v

(edit) Now that I think about it this was probably more of a "problem" with Overpower since you have to aim that. I'll have to play Paladin a while longer (I just switched yesterday--I prefer the sword/shield/holy aesthetic) to see if it's a solved issue.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 18, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Valle posted:

You misunderstood. He pulled the mobs, then stood in between them for the entire fight. He didn't clump them in front of him, he just stood there, right in-be-loving-tween them. Imagine if you will a triangle, with the tank in the middle of it, and a mob at each corner.

Oohhh. Yeah, ew, that gives me fits just thinking about it. Learned that lesson a long goddamned time ago tanking in Burning Crusade. :v:

god damnit Illidan stop pathing through me and backattacking you son of a bitch

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Tell us, was it worth it? Was it worth it? :smithicide:

Dunno, you tell me. :smug:

Edit with a question: is it possible to buy exactly enough Crysta to get three months all at once of Entry level subscription, and get the 90 day veteran reward as a result?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 18, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What the gently caress, I get 15 seconds of uncrittable out of 120 at level 34? I thought Gladiators were supposed to get good cooldowns, the hell is this thing. :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aladar posted:

Yes, there's an option to enter how much crysta you want to buy from 500 to 10,000, though I believe you have to wait for your free time to run out and your sub to kick in to get the rewards.

It doesn't seem like if I select Entry level I can buy anything other than 30 days, 90 and 180 disappear soon as I change from standard.

I don't need standard, but I want eyeball mount. I'm conflicted. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Baldbeard posted:

Running Bray with my 34 Dragoon with pugs. Scalemail chest drops, says item lvl 32 and includes LNC/DRG.

It wouldn't let me roll need on it so a Whitemage won it with greed. This is my first time in here, I definitely don't already have it.

Anyone know what could have happened? Literally said "Not suitable class" or whatever

Was it scale? I think it's a known issue right now that LNC/DRG can't roll on scale mail, i.e. gear one step below tank plate in defensiveness.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

I agree, in fact, this applies to everything. NO DUBS, only pure, original Japanese voice acting. I in the process of learning Japanese so that I may understand it, but I already know that it is far superior.

Snark aside, Minfilla and that scion lalafell (Papalymo? something like that) (ed: and how could I forget whatsherface running Gridania, jesus christ) are rubbish and were enough for me to not want to listen anymore. 'least with another language, even if I don't understand it, I can catch some semblance of tone without groaning in empathetic embarrassment. :shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 19, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Just so I'm clear and not missing anything, there is literally no reason to repeat the storyline Ifrit fight, correct?

Besides it being kind of a fun fight (or at least pretty looking) or as a favor? Nope, just paltry XP.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tiramisu posted:

30-45 minutes. It'll go faster if you select all languages. Make sure you block out enough time too. The dungeon itself will also take 20-50 minutes but never more than 90.

I've always been scared to check off more than English, 'cos if the "A Newbie Is Here" warning goes of I like to explain the boss fights. Don't think auto-translate's up to that :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BLOG KING posted:

Is there any sort of a tl;dr around for the story? I started playing this game and breezed through the story... but after Titan I realized what a bad idea I made!

In any inn bedroom there's a book you can read to get a summary of the Story So Far and view cutscenes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

By the 50 endgame, do encounters require significantly more extra effort (beyond their usual jobs, i.e. damage and grabbing mobs) from the DPS or tanks, or is it a mix of the two? I'm thinking of examples like story Titan or Qarn here, where beyond the usual concerns of the roles, DPS have to be on the ball with gimmicks (landslide and gaols in the former, bees and verges in the latter) but the tank just kind of sits there and builds threat, maybe stunning or not.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cabbit posted:

I just got level 20 and the ability to stack a second level of Astral Fire. Unbridled, wanton destruction has help me come to terms with playing a catboy in a dumpy frock. Oh, for a muse of fire.. :allears:

Near as I can tell it gets only better from there. Mine's level 32 after I've given up on tanking (tiresome) and Dragooning (melee on moving targets/flank/back detection :argh:) for a while, and burning things alive is still amusing.

Not to mention the class and job quests. The whole Thaumaturge chain was, I thought, quite fun and well done, especially the one duty that beats you over the head with SLEEP IS IMPORTANT CHUCKLENUTS by killing you if you don't. Not to mention the quest to pick up Black Mage has me wondering what the hell is coming at 35. Can't wait to find out.

you shoulda rolled a lalafell, cats drool

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cabbit posted:

Without spoiling things, does the whole urn thing from the sleep duty come up at 30? I've got a theory.

Yes indeedy.

(edit)

victrix posted:

You're telling me there's a loving class quest that teaches you to use sleep? :psyduck:

Too bad there isn't a class quest for dps to tell them not to break sleep :v:

Or a class quest for tanks to teach them to mark targets :eng99:

At least they're trying!

Yep, the level 20 Thaumaturge quest pits you in an alley of like seven Level gently caress You archers and casters in ones and twos. Gotta sneak by some, sleep the rest, and book it for the objective before they wake up. It was quite interesting!

I failed twice :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quote:

[9:24 p.m.]From 10:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. (PDT) / 5:00 to 6:00 (GMT), emergency maintenance will be performed on FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.
[9:24 p.m.]Please log out before the maintenance begins.
[9:24 p.m.]See the News section for more details.

The exact hour I can reasonably play the game on weekdays with my work hours. :sigh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KaneTW posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Considering the Fire I usually needs ~1-1.5s to hit and potentically proc a Firestarter, cancelling the cast for Fire III is pretty much a DPS loss -- Fire 1 (proc) + Fire 1 + Fire 3 is 520 potency over 7.5s (not counting spell speed) as opposed to 370 potency over 6s. And the chance that you can overwrite a Fire 3 proc is just 16%, so definitely not worth cancelling a cast over if you consider the potency per second.

If Firestarter procs (or not) at impact, couldn't the result possibly be something like this, assuming you see the proc in time?

Cast Fire I 1->Fling Fire I 1->Cast Fire I 2->Fire I 1 impact->Firestarter Proc 1->Fling Fire I 2->Instant Fire III 1->Fire I 2 impact->Firestarter Proc 2->Instant Fire III 2

Maybe I'm just confused but I'm not really seeing where the loss is, assuming you're on the ball enough to see the proc while casting the second Fire I but before you start casting the next spell in line. I don't see where a second proc is "given up".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hokuto posted:

In the order you listed the casts, the Fire III proc will not land before the second Fire I spell does, when popping the proc directly after finishing the second cast. I have never gotten a second proc that way. It has nothing to do with how quickly you notice the proc, either; There's simply too much lead time between when you can cast your second spell and when your first spell hits. You can't make the second Fire I go any faster.

Oh, makes sense. I was operating under the assumption that Firestarter would clear itself as soon as you started casting your instant Fire III, but that's not the case I guess? Hence my confusion. :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BadLlama posted:

I would love to see a video of this. I have not had any mobs turn red when using flash on my War for the past 50 levels.

The only time Flash has not worked for me on any class is when someone actually already got the tag but my UI didn't turn the nameplate purple yet. Might be similar, FATEs are pretty crowded and therefore laggy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Up to BLM 34. Not sure yet if I really prefer playing it over my 40 Dragoon. Nice to not have to deal with odd melee range/flank/back detection, though, especially with mobile targets.

Definitely more fun than Paladin at least, even if it means long queues :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 21, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quote:

-- following wipe #5 on story titan --
[8:38 p.m.](Shiria Zelen) this poo poo is so gay i jsut want to continue story
[8:38 p.m.](Ciaphas Abel) shiria, why are you not using regen
[8:38 p.m.](Ciaphas Abel) you should have it by now, it is stupid good
[8:38 p.m.](Shiria Zelen) havent done the quest for it
[8:38 p.m.](Shiria Zelen) its the 35 whtmage quest
[8:38 p.m.](Ciaphas Abel) and you're 36
[8:39 p.m.]Titan: Sons of man! Murderers of my children!
[8:39 p.m.](Shiria Zelen) yeah and i jsut said i havent done it yet
[8:39 p.m.](Shiria Zelen) sorta like this is the 34 story quest
[8:39 p.m.](Shiria Zelen) and im 36

Maybe I'm just being stupid but how does that logic stand up? :cripes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

He was pretty awful as a whole, to be honest, I just wanted to cherry pick some really odd-seeming logic :v:. Every wipe was a lack of healing, 'cept one where a clear lagout got the tank knocked off somehow. (I was BLM, and I tried to help, but Physick can only go so far, drat it)

It does make me want to level CNJ a little bit, just to see how hard it could really be, but wow I can't think of anything less appealing than casting Stone forever when solo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aladar posted:

I have to admit I have literally never found a reason to quest in my class instead of my job; I guess you could make the argument for some classes getting dps cooldowns that their jobs don't, but having unlocked paladin, bard, scholar and summoner, I would always prefer job over class. v:shobon:v

Even as Paladin? I'd go slightly stir crazy without Internal Release, Raging Strikes and Blood for Blood.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The first boss of Cutter's Cry is going to be the death of me :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've got Weaver and Culinarian at 15 now. Are there any other good cross-class abilities I should work on picking up before :airquote:settling:airquote: on a crafter?

Also I am now THM and LNC 40. What the hell. :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BLM question now that I have Astral/Umbral III. When I need to regen MP I do Blizzard III, Thunder II (later III), Fire III, I got that much, but if I happened to get a Thundercloud proc recently or along the way, should I skip the Thunder for something else or just cast it again anyway? I don't get full mana if I don't wait at least a second or two.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone else said the writing in this game owns? 'cause it does. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Was there even a reason they decided to link bonus stats to class only, instead of class and job? (So you'd have separate bonus choices for ACN, SMN, and SCH, as well as GLA/PLD, etc)

• Locked thread