Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just because you lob weird tics on a character, it doesn't make him funnier. It actually makes him more grating.

I think that Winston wasn't that funny this episode. The puzzle thing smacks of his bizarre approach to pranking that they foisted on him last season. I get that he isn't as instantly funny as the other castmembers, but I always found him funny as a wry observer of the other castmembers and and their inanities (kinda like Seinfeld). Making him go bananas about _________ inexplicably is a lazy way to get laughs. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

But otherwise really good start. A lot of set-up for the upcoming season (I did find the Schmidt stuff to be a little too conventionally sitcom-y for this smart show). And it involved heavily what might be my favorite couple on TV, Nick and Jess, and how hilarious their relationship is. More of that please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I did find Winston to be more bearable this ep, mainly because his comedy was actually coming from a real place (except for the cat thing, which honestly was just awkward for a large part of it). And the Schmidt stuff actually worked for me, inverting the comedic farce thing by having him get away with it but still feel lovely. I do feel bad for CeCe and Elizabeth, this plot has them coming across as total idiots and whose relevance to the show is all about reacting to Schmidt. In particular I miss CeCe's and Jess's relationship, which was always a lot of joy to watch.

Don't want to seem like miser, so I'll say that I did laugh a bunch during the ep.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

1st AD posted:

Having Damon Jr. back on the show reminds me of how directionless Winston's character has been, he's just floating around in the background doing pratfalls and poo poo.

Reminds me of that episode where he was all :smith: about being kicked off the Latvian basketball team after they got the better black. Well...

Really? I think this is the best he's been in ages, along with the last episode. Popping up with believable, but hilarious little bits. This is my favorite version of him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

So I could become a lawyer in California?

I have a plane ticket to buy.

Highest rate of failures in the country as well, like 3 out of 10 pass the thing, which sucks because studying for it should at least eat up a few months of your life, and actually taking it takes a pretty penny.

So...good luck?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Pretty much. Hell, I grew up in the 90s and the only Prince song I know is Purple Rain and the only Prince song I like is

This is the worst thing you've ever said.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

She's been shown to have a deep musical bench. You don't just like music you heard when you were a teenager. Go to your local bar and put Prince in the jukebox, see how many girls get up and dance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gross.

EDIT: I'm not sure I can take your opinions at face value anymore Irish Joe.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Hey man, if everyone becomes a part of the problem is it still a problem anymore? Imagine the fun you could have being sloppy drunk at Denny's with ke$sha or some other age appropriate popstar; imagine the fun you will have taking a post-drunk Denny's poo poo/vomit only to find a passed out ke$sha (or some other age appropriate popstar) in your bathtub.

evv: Hey bro, I did those things at 21, not 17. :colbert: (they were fun at the time)

e2: Actually, from the standpoint of Nick and Jessica being 30-somethings slowly sliding away from their 20's I can see why such a drunken night wouldn't appeal to them.

Oh my god this poo poo makes me shiver. Thank god I'm not that young anymore.

Also, musicians are like people. They mostly suck. Prince though I plain just find fascinating. Read about the stories swirling around him. It reads like some sort of amoral epic or something. Did you know he started a charismatic evangelical cult for a few years, before he got bored? Like it was a phase?!

EDIT: Also phylodox, best posts ever.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 8, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nice to see Brad from Happy Endings guest starring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cool to see the guy from ny favorite movie of 2011, the amazing Australian movie Animal Kingdom, guesting here. Its veen a really funny stretch of episodes, y'all.

• Locked thread