Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I wasn't thrilled by the pilot of this show when it first premiered, so I mostly forgot about it. But I decided to give it another shot and ended up binging through the first two seasons of this show in about a day and a half. The first few episodes are a bit hard to get through, but man once it hits its stride it's one of the greatest sitcoms I've ever seen.

Did anyone else notice that Jess becomes an almost entirely different character by about 10 episodes into the first season? It's like Pilot Episode Jess is replaced by a new roommate who just happens to have the same name and appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Oasx posted:

I still hate the Nick and Jess relationship, i just think find them a bit boring now :/

I couldn't disagree more. The show was fairly obvious from the start about the sexual tension between Jess and Nick. But one thing I absolutely hate about sitcoms is when two characters that are obviously going to get together eventually take five seasons to do so. And by then you just don't care anymore.

Jess and Nick will probably break up sometime down the road, because sitcom. But I feel it's very refreshing that New Girl is getting the major character romance subplot out of the way so early. Rather than subjecting us to years of "will they, won't they."

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Conquistador posted:

I don't like the "OH I CANT TELL YOU MY FEELINGS" thing over and over when... he honestly doesn't have a problem showing how he feels about literally anything else ever.

Ahhhh I can't stand you Nick. Also, "I'm worried your dad doesn't like me because I'm irresponsible LETS STAY IN MEXICO"

E: I didn't mind Schmidt's two girl thing up until the very end where Cece, who is supposed to be really smart is just like "oh ok hehe so your ex that was just featured in a major decision as to whether you wanted to be with her or me is here, oh she works here? thats silly hehe"

I mean come on girl.

Which reminds me as well, that the whole "you must decide now!" thing was kind of dumb. I mean, a lot of stuff in this show is dumb in its own way but I thought that it was a bit jarring how they expected him to just have an answer immediately when neither of them can seem to make up their minds themselves.

I don't even get the Schmidt/Elizabeth thing in the first place. After everything he went through for CeCe it doesn't make any sense why he'd want to go back to an old girlfriend. This entire story arc seems more like he just wants to sleep with two women rather than he "loves them both." Which is quickly killing my love for the character.

And with Nick you're supposed to perceive him as an immature jackass. But with any luck Jess will help him get his life together. And thus, character development.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Conquistador posted:

I literally watched every episode in like a 2 day span, it made it pretty easier to spot inconsistencies and weird poo poo within their own writing structure

Same here. I had a roughly 2 day binge of the first two seasons and it was really obvious that the writers were experimenting the entire time. It still seems that way, since Winston has gotten a bit crazier the past few episodes.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Tychtrip posted:

I prefer the Kilborn Daily Show. I think it's the best one.

--

I kind of hate Schmidt now, which is sad. I hope it passes quickly.

I don't hate him. He did a terrible thing and is dealing with the emotional turmoil of realizing he hosed up big time. People make mistakes, and I'm sure he'll eventually accept that and grow as a character. Plus I doubt his whole "I'm gonna break you two up" thing was serious or will become a major plot point. He was speaking out of anger, lashing out because he's the type of guy who doesn't take responsibility right away. But he will, eventually.

And I'm still loving the Jess/Nick relationship. I really hope it goes the distance rather than them breaking up in some season finale cliffhanger like every other goddamn sitcom with a relationship story arc.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Timett posted:

The thing that makes the Schmidt situation work for me is that I believe him. He genuinely likes both of them a lot and for different reasons. He was put into a lovely situation where the woman he loved was all of the sudden available again and is then forced to chose on the spot between his current girlfriend and the one who almost got away. He wasn't just being some rear end in a top hat trying to get laid as much as possible

Yes, but that's really a dangerous and juvenile train of thought. An emotionally mature adult would still do the right thing and either pick one or forego both. If only to ensure that the situation isn't made worse for the girls involved. Schmidt was only thinking of himself, and paid no mind to the well being of the women he supposedly "loved." But, hey. poo poo happens and sometimes people have to royally gently caress up before they can gain that permanent +10 to their responsibility stat.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Conquistador posted:

Emotionally mature adults probably wouldn't be like OK YOU MUST NOW INSTANTLY CHOOSE YOUR GIRLFRIEND.

Admittedly, I've never had two girlfriends that knew about eachother so maybe that is realistic

Actually you have a good point there. It was pretty hosed up for Cece to drop her fiancee and declare he love for Schmidt knowing he was in a pretty serious relationship with someone else.

poo poo, maybe those two deserve each other. They're both terrible at thinking of others.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I just don't understand the allure of Seinfeld. I want to. I keep hearing it's a milestone of comedy, but I can sit through an entire episode and not even chuckle. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Nick reminds me so much of myself. And I'm not sure if that should make me sad or happy.

• Locked thread