Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Parks & Rec is part of my wife's bedtime whitenoise rotation, and we just watched The Set Up for the dozenth time. There's a moment when Leslie is on her terrible date with the MRI tech, played by Poehler's at-the-time husband Will Arnett, where they review her free MRI and he mentions that her womb is huge and could handle triplets. Kudos to the writers for yet another subtle god drat callback.

That's also yet another awkward meta wrinkle for that guest role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

grilldos posted:

Parks & Rec is part of my wife's bedtime whitenoise rotation, and we just watched The Set Up for the dozenth time. There's a moment when Leslie is on her terrible date with the MRI tech, played by Poehler's at-the-time husband Will Arnett, where they review her free MRI and he mentions that her womb is huge and could handle triplets. Kudos to the writers for yet another subtle god drat callback.

That's also yet another awkward meta wrinkle for that guest role.

:monocle:

That is a good catch that I haven't seen anywhere

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Hey Amigos,

I'm looking for a clip to show to someone who hasn't seen Parks and Rec before in hopes that they'll like it and then continue to watch the show. Any ideas for a short Youtube clip that'll encapsulate the show? I realise this is a massively open ended question but any suggestions would be great :)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cloud the Cat posted:

Hey Amigos,

I'm looking for a clip to show to someone who hasn't seen Parks and Rec before in hopes that they'll like it and then continue to watch the show. Any ideas for a short Youtube clip that'll encapsulate the show? I realise this is a massively open ended question but any suggestions would be great :)

STOP. POOPING.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cloud the Cat posted:

Hey Amigos,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5GufEJH3dI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that was the exact thing I was going to post too. It's the way April gives him that little slap after he says it, as if it could possibly make final cut.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Cloud the Cat posted:

Hey Amigos,

Show them Requiem for a Tuesday.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Mayfair Games announces a limited attendee Cones of Dunshire charity event officially to be at Gen Con Indy in August, only 33 tickets available. I snap booked 2 tickets for me and a buddy who are going to be out there anyway. :dance: :dance: :dance:

http://mayfairgames.com/news.php?id=303

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Merauder posted:

Mayfair Games announces a limited attendee Cones of Dunshire charity event officially to be at Gen Con Indy in August, only 33 tickets available. I snap booked 2 tickets for me and a buddy who are going to be out there anyway. :dance: :dance: :dance:

You had better loving call Ledgerman before someone else does. :colbert:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Merauder posted:

That's awesome.

We all expect a full trip report when you're back. :colbert:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

codenameFANGIO posted:

You had better loving call Ledgerman before someone else does. :colbert:

No way, he'll be the Maverick.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The question now is do I order one of these for the event...?

(e: just kidding, that wasn't really a question, of course I did)

Merauder fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 27, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Merauder posted:

Remember, it's all about the cones.

Oh wow...I haven't seen this before: http://www.vulture.com/2013/12/cones-of-dunshire-parks-and-recreation-game-oral-history.html

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 27, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Merauder posted:

Please film this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amy Poehler shows off her stems. Will Arnett, what happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77m-eHcIyas

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

I want to hang out with Chris Pratt, forever.

Also, Amy Poehler got yet another Best Leading Actress in a Comedy Series nomination this morning. :rolleyes: Must be an Eagleton thing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Chris Pratt actually flashed Amy Poehler in an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTP0pE-eTKM

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Just wrapped up at the Cones of Dunshire charity event hosted by Mayfair Games at GenCon. Hilariously good time. All of us who got to participate got a legit board game box (no actual game inside, ofc) for CoD, and exclusive shirts that say "I played Cones of Dunshire" and some other stuff.
There was a video of Ben (with a cameo from Tom) welcoming all the players, which they said they'll have up on YouTube soon.
There's some pictures and stuff up on Mayfair's the official GenCon Facebook I think.

:dance:

Merauder fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 17, 2014

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
SELL ME YOUR BOX

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

He's not a hooker.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Merauder posted:

Just wrapped up at the Cones of Dunshire charity event hosted by Mayfair Games at GenCon. Hilariously good time. All of us who got to participate got a legit board game box (no actual game inside, ofc) for CoD, and exclusive shirts that say "I played Cones of Dunshire" and some other stuff.
There was a video of Ben (with a cameo from Tom) welcoming all the players, which they said they'll have up on YouTube soon.
There's some pictures and stuff up on Mayfair's the official GenCon Facebook I think.

:dance:

What are the rules?

Also, here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E52TEXsZOD0

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Okay, going to try to remember everything from memory, and posting from my phone so maybe not the most well structured write up, but here goes nothing!

There were 33 of us participants, which were divided into 11 teams of 3. Each team was tasked with assigning the roles of General, Quartermaster, and Field Marshall. Each team also had 3 game pieces pre-assigned; I don't remember all of ours from memory, but we had a Maverick, and then two others not taken from the show I believe. Each piece had a different value assigned to it as well; our Maverick was a 13 for example, which was among the highest out there, I think.

Everyone played simultaneously which added a wonderful amount of chaos to it all. At the start of each round the Quartermaster was responsible for 'rolling dice to see how many dice we rolled', which I believe was 2d4+1 or some such silly and arbitrary amount, and then there was another roll as well, both of which consisted of a bunch of d6s. One of the two rolls was for "Support Dice", which could be assigned as movement for pieces on the board, or used to earn money 1:1, which was then spent to purchase buildings for out civilizations which each added various bonuses as you upgraded them.
The other set of rolled dice were action dice; each of our 3 game pieces had an action assigned to numbers 1-6, so our Quartermaster (who was responsible for dice rolling and assigning actions) could assign the various numbers he rolled to any of the game pieces to enable them to perform a variety of silly actions over the course of the round. I don't remember any specifics but I kept one of the sheets we used for it, so I'll get some pictures up later so people can see.

After the Quartermaster assigned actions how he wanted and wrote down all the Support Dice he rolled, he turns over the page to the Field Marshall, who brings it to the General (me on our team, as it were). After looking at all the actions selected, the General then decides how to utilize the support dice for movement/money. I mentioned what we used money for, so here's what movement on the board was like.

There are a variety of spaces, some land, some water, some lighthouses, the Decision Cone space, and most importantly, the 4 Doom Spaces. We had to move a character to a doom space to attempt a challenge in order to acquire the color of cone (4 cones wins, remember), which was usually some random dice-based goal. The problem was with 33 game pieces on the board, lots of people ended up on the same spaces at once, which then caused challenges between all the characters there. This is where the aforementioned numbers on the characters came into play, though I was never really clear on how all that worked. If you got bumped off a doom space, the other team would get to move you and then you wouldn't get to vie for that space's cone. Moving the spaces and ensuring pieces actions were announced as needed was the responsibility of the Field Marshall before returning to the Quartermaster for the next round.

Before even bothering with the Doom spaces though, you had to have acquired enough resource gems of that space's color which were randomly distributed around the board each round by one of the employees. So there was red, yellow, and blue gems, 3 of each color needed to collect the matching cone; the 4th Doom Space required collecting one of each of the 3 gems.

After collecting the 4 cones you had to move a piece to the Cone of Decision and stay there without getting bumped off at the end of the round to win.

Aside from all that, there was also the Cone of Darkness which would be sheathed or unsheathed ("mostly a matter of preference"), trivia cards awarded at various times, Doom cards that added random effects to the game, etc.

All in all it was pretty much an attempt at controlling chaos, and it mostly worked. There were elements from the show's descriptions absent like no "game in reverse" challenge play, no agriculture credit trading (or credits at all) and so forth, but it was a goddamn ton of fun. Everyone was clearly big fans of the show, and everyone was laughing and having a ball running around like crazy people for 2 hours. The Ledgerman roll was auctioned off as part of the charity stuff, and ended up going for 775$ I believe. He pretty much sat up at the front of everything and offered words of wisdom from time to time when we went to collect money from our support dice; no actual keeping score.

Again I'll get some pictures up from things I brought back from the event soon. And there's some photo coverage of the event on the GenCon Facebook if you want to see a bunch of nerds looking silly with party hats cones on our heads. :)

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm re watching Parks and Rec and while I knew StarLord is in it, I forgot Ant-Man was.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm re watching Parks and Rec and while I knew StarLord is in it, I forgot Ant-Man was.

So was Thanos.

Not Josh Brolin, but the guy who played him in the stinger at the end of The Avengers.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Merauder posted:

Cones of Dunshire

This sounds amazing and makes me even sadder I wasn't at Gen Con this year. Thank you so much for this writeup. :D

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Season 6 blooper reel!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Great job, Jerry! :haw:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I was hoping it would be nine minutes and fifty seconds of "Ron's in Bloosh!"

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
With fall television season returning, do we have a Season Premiere date set?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Awesome Animals posted:

With fall television season returning, do we have a Season Premiere date set?

It's probably coming back in the spring, as a mid-season replacement.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

thexerox123 posted:

It's probably coming back in the spring, as a mid-season replacement.

That makes me really sad :( Were the ratings that bad last year?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

It's going to be a 13-episode season, so it makes sense that they'd hold off depending on what new shows get cancelled.

NBC: Depends on what Fails!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Dammit NBC why aren't you taking advantage of Prattmania (Well I guess there's SNL but still)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm okay with a shorter season if it means fewer breaks. The most frustrating thing about watching network tv as its aired are the constant several week breaks.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For anyone who thought my write up of the GenCon Cones of Dunshire event sounded like a good time, I spoke with one of the guys from Mayfair (the company who developed it and put on the event) recently and he tipped me off that due to popular demand they are likely going to run a Kickstarter to develop the game into a real product for the masses. Going to be a ridiculous sized box!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Max22 posted:

It's going to be a 13-episode season, so it makes sense that they'd hold off depending on what new shows get cancelled.

NBC: Depends on what Fails!

I hope it's that godawful "COP MOMMY!" show that Debra Messing is starring in, presumably at gunpoint. There are billboards all over town here and I can never stop being sad for the perp on the left.

"Mom! Mom! I got a modeling gig! Yeah I'm playing 'racially ambiguous personification of crime.' Tell grandma!"

And her arms don't line up in the three photos. Whyyy...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Merauder posted:

For anyone who thought my write up of the GenCon Cones of Dunshire event sounded like a good time, I spoke with one of the guys from Mayfair (the company who developed it and put on the event) recently and he tipped me off that due to popular demand they are likely going to run a Kickstarter to develop the game into a real product for the masses. Going to be a ridiculous sized box!

Wouldn't there be some copyright issues with NBC?

tirion
Sep 25, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I hope it's that godawful "COP MOMMY!" show that Debra Messing is starring in, presumably at gunpoint. There are billboards all over town here and I can never stop being sad for the perp on the left.

"Mom! Mom! I got a modeling gig! Yeah I'm playing 'racially ambiguous personification of crime.' Tell grandma!"

And her arms don't line up in the three photos. Whyyy...

:iiam:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love that one side of her life, the non-crime side, is all-white, and the other, crimier side is all-black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chairman Capone posted:

Wouldn't there be some copyright issues with NBC?

They'll be working with them on it. Why NBC isn't just ponying up the :10bux: to make it happen I don't know, but whatever, so long as it happens I'm cool with it. :)

• Locked thread