Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The end of season 7 will tease Leslie running for President. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Maybe it's going to be like the last season of Breaking Bad and what we saw was just a flash forward.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Have they done any interviews yet discussing why they stalled the series for two years and then time jumped rather than just continuing the plot for those two years and not having to time jump?

It's kind of lovely story telling to get stuck in a rut so deep you have to hop over three years to get out of it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PriorMarcus posted:

Have they done any interviews yet discussing why they stalled the series for two years and then time jumped rather than just continuing the plot for those two years and not having to time jump?

It's kind of lovely story telling to get stuck in a rut so deep you have to hop over three years to get out of it.

This seems like a very weird thing to complain about.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Drifter posted:

Have you seen his avatar?

And I'd rather they do the time skip than write themselves out without it, if it means skipping treaded territory (e.g., pregnancy, starting on a new position).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Drifter posted:

... Not really?

How is it weird to complain about a series being stuck in a rut telling the same stories over and over suddenly progressing the plot in an unnatural way when it could've just had the conviction to actually move things forward over the last couple of seasons?

Did we really need this last season with the recall election, Tommy loosing and starting another business, Andy and Ben jumping between aimless jobs when they could've actually used it to tell the story that has been jumped over in the time skip?

Honestly it seems to me like the writers saw the increasing negative feedback online and wrote the time skip in as a quick fix.

Now the final series of Parks and Recreation is going to be a vaguely science fiction comedy with occasional flashbacks; that's never been it's format before, why change it for the final season?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

PriorMarcus posted:

The show got Jamm'ed

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why does a sitcom need to have a story? That Seinfeld sure was lovely.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

... Not really?

How is it weird to complain about a series being stuck in a rut telling the same stories over and over suddenly progressing the plot in an unnatural way when it could've just had the conviction to actually move things forward over the last couple of seasons?

Did we really need this last season with the recall election, Tommy loosing and starting another business, Andy and Ben jumping between aimless jobs when they could've actually used it to tell the story that has been jumped over in the time skip?

Honestly it seems to me like the writers saw the increasing negative feedback online and wrote the time skip in as a quick fix.

Now the final series of Parks and Recreation is going to be a vaguely science fiction comedy with occasional flashbacks; that's never been it's format before, why change it for the final season?

This show has been on the chopping block for getting canceled continuously and they have been trying to write a bunch of seasons as if they were the last one. I'm not sure what you can really expect from writers who have no idea as to whether or not that they will be able to finish the story in that season or next year.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I figure it was they either do the timeskip or they introduce a wish-granting alien only Ron and Andy can see voiced by Alan Tudyk.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I figure it was they either do the timeskip or they introduce a wish-granting alien only Ron and Andy can see voiced by Alan Tudyk.

Also played by him, a full-grown man in a sequined green jumpsuit whom no one else acknowledges.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The story that they have skipped hasn't been written, that's why they didn't show it to us this season. Also because that story would be three years long rather than x months or whatever long. Some people might call the last two seasons a rut, but is that only because Leslie didn't go anywhere in them? Besides that all of the characters had real development and things did, in fact, happen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paperhouse posted:

The story that they have skipped hasn't been written, that's why they didn't show it to us this season. Also because that story would be three years long rather than x months or whatever long. Some people might call the last two seasons a rut, but is that only because Leslie didn't go anywhere in them? Besides that all of the characters had real development and things did, in fact, happen.

Although to be fair, the character Andy became even more functionally retarded, which although amusing at times, was pretty lame (I think Aubrey Plaza's character was worse in terms of regression into a particular one sided meme-characterization). I feel J/G/Larry got a good showing for being a minor sidekick-y role.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Drifter posted:

I think Aubrey Plaza's character was worse in terms of regression into a particular one sided meme-characterization.

Yeah, they don't really seem to know what to do with April. She's had moments of character development when she shows a passion for something, but she's immediately pushed back into acting like a sullen teenager because that's her sitcommy role. It feels pretty forced and artificial at this point, but the same could be said for a lot of the show at this point in my opinion. I'm really starting to think good comedies should die young, unless they're just joke machines like Seinfeld or 30 Rock where character development isn't really the point.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, they don't really seem to know what to do with April. She's had moments of character development when she shows a passion for something, but she's immediately pushed back into acting like a sullen teenager because that's her sitcommy role. It feels pretty forced and artificial at this point, but the same could be said for a lot of the show at this point in my opinion. I'm really starting to think good comedies should die young, unless they're just joke machines like Seinfeld or 30 Rock where character development isn't really the point.

I agree, I think the serialization trend that's been so great for dramas has really hurt the sitcom. We all look down on shows that hit the reset button at the end of every episode, but structurally sitcom characters can't really support that much growth. You can either handle it the way The Office did, where characters grow away from what they originally were and another character fills that role (The Office didn't do this well but I think they tried, like Andy and Erin becoming the new Jim and Pam), or you can ignore the problem like Parks and Rec does and have characters that have no reason to still be behaving like they are (April, Tom) or living where they are (Leslie and Ben, Tom).

Ann and Chris actually should have been the least likely to leave, since Ann had roots in the town and Chris was city manager. I think they're doing a good job with Ron's character growth, since the marriage/kids angle has just allowed him to be himself with a new focus, but that only works because he's essentially a complacent character. Leslie and April have both been consistently shown to want more than the scope of the show has to offer.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

...living where they are (Leslie and Ben, Tom).

Yes, this. I get so happy every time I think Leslie might move away, she's clearly too good for that town and it seems like such a waste - it really ruins the feel good message of the show.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
There was an interview posted 3 pages back with Schur where he talks about why that decision was made.

I definitely think it was the best possible move. I don't think anyone wants to see another show do "Oh gawd, we're so tired, and babies are messy!" storylines.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Sinteres posted:

I'd say that's been the show's biggest problem, the fact that most of the characters started out being defined by their traits (in April's case, moody weird girl.) Then as they break out and have personal triumphs, like getting married, they end up pretty much getting stuck. With April, they teased her going to Vet School and all, but then she caved. Same thing with Tom and his businesses. Ann was always pretty one-note with her "I gotta find a man" stuff, until she got pregnant.

That's why I like the time skip, because it'll pretty much force them to have some kind of growth. Hopefully.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Except the writers could've actually grown those characters naturally rather than doing the time jump. This isn't an historical document; if they didn't want to see Leslie have kids then just don't get her pregnant, let April go to vet school, let Andy become a cop, etc.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PriorMarcus posted:

Except the writers could've actually grown those characters naturally rather than doing the time jump. This isn't an historical document; if they didn't want to see Leslie have kids then just don't get her pregnant, let April go to vet school, let Andy become a cop, etc.

I find this line of complaint entertainingly obtuse.

Tell me more about how you need a 1:1 timeframe for your stories on the tee-vee or else the narration and plot fail to be successful.

Maybe it'd be nice to see these characters directly in a new role, rather than have several episodes of training montage. If the stories are good, not every story needs to be told.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Drifter posted:

I find this line of complaint entertainingly obtuse.

Tell me more about how you need a 1:1 timeframe for your stories on the tee-vee or else the narration and plot fail to be successful.

Maybe it'd be nice to see these characters directly in a new role, rather than have several episodes of training montage. If the stories are good, not every story needs to be told.

Have you enjoyed the last couple of seasons where each character feels like their story has been reset over and over? I don't need it to be 1:1, but I do feel like the time jump only existed to solve a problem the writers wrote themselves into.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PriorMarcus posted:

Have you enjoyed the last couple of seasons where each character feels like their story has been reset over and over? I don't need it to be 1:1, but I do feel like the time jump only existed to solve a problem the writers wrote themselves into.

So hopefully they'll end the series on a fresh, good note, rather than trying to dig themselves out of the rut or whatever they've fallen into.

You're complaining about things that have already happened - no takesbacksies - and applying that dissatisfaction to something that's - because of this time jump - possibly been solved.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Andy should have been a cop only so we could see a lot more of the Pawnee Police Dept.

"Real piece of work..."

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The show's biggest problem is definitely its start and stop nature.

Like I said, at least with a time skip, they're effectively forcing themselves to make progress. Maybe Donna will still be with that teacher, for example. Ron might have to deal with teenager woes. And the main couple have their kids and all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OmegaBR posted:

The show's biggest problem is definitely its start and stop nature.

Like I said, at least with a time skip, they're effectively forcing themselves to make progress. Maybe Donna will still be with that teacher, for example. Ron might have to deal with teenager woes. And the main couple have their kids and all.

Ugh. There is literally nothing more pointless in a TV show than two year olds. :barf:
An opinion not shared if you're Aatrek, I guess.

It'd be fun to see a lot more of Lucy Lawless and the rest of Ron's family, though.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I think this show can even make two year olds funny. For instance, if April and Andy are watching them all the time, Andy can totally rent them out with his Johnny Karate gigs to pad the headcount for unpopular kids. Just use them as props more than anything else, we don't really have to hear them talk!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The main loss of the timeskip are the current girls that play Ron's daughters, they are adorable. :3:
Unless they just keep them and play it straight. :3:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Zedd posted:

The main loss of the timeskip are the current girls that play Ron's daughters, they are adorable. :3:
Unless they just keep them and play it straight. :3:

They'll do what soap operas always do and age them into twenty year olds without any explanation or acknowledgement.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Poque posted:

They'll do what soap operas always do and age them into twenty year olds without any explanation or acknowledgement.
That's little baby Nicky. :v:

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

This may be an unusual question but does anybody remember off hand which episode has an abrupt The Wire spoiler in it? I never quite finished that show but I've been warned one exists in this one.

I realise that the right answer is to just finish The Wire but I don't have that handy.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Satanos posted:

I realise that the right answer is to just finish The Wire but I don't have that handy.

If you have Amazon Prime, the entire series just went up on it for streaming.

fog licker
Dec 3, 2005

I'm half-machine!

Satanos posted:

This may be an unusual question but does anybody remember off hand which episode has an abrupt The Wire spoiler in it? I never quite finished that show but I've been warned one exists in this one.

I don't recall this at all :confused:

I've been searching Google for it too and I'm not finding anything related to it aside from Amy Poehler referencing her favorite scene from The Wire in an article about her 10 favorite Leslie Knope moments back in 2009. Now I'm interested if this reference to The Wire does exist so I can rewatch that scene :v:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
NBC released their fall schedule and Parks isn't on it, so looks like we have another Spring release. On the bright side, no (or few) random weeks off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see them constantly having flash backs to things that happened in the 3 year skip.

Also, Andy better say something about making friends with a Raccoon and a Tree :colbert:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Satanos posted:

I don't think that ever happened.

Maybe you are thinking of 30 Rock, when they spoiled Game of Thrones?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Ishamael posted:

Maybe you are thinking of 30 Rock, when they spoiled Game of Thrones?

I've seen every episode of 30 Rock at least five times and I don't remember a GoT spoiler anywhere. When is this?

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

El Tortuga posted:

I've seen every episode of 30 Rock at least five times and I don't remember a GoT spoiler anywhere. When is this?

They mentioned a little stuff involving Xaro while GoT was still on season one, but nothing really spoilery from what I remember.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Punch Card posted:

They mentioned a little stuff involving Xaro while GoT was still on season one, but nothing really spoilery from what I remember.

Actually, I found that it's in the second Queen of Jordan episode. Grizz looks up from a book and says (it's a season one spoiler) "Ned Stark is dead!" Huh, so it's a good thing I didn't remember that joke when I finally watched GoT a few months ago.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

El Tortuga posted:

Actually, I found that it's in the second Queen of Jordan episode. Grizz looks up from a book and says (it's a season one spoiler) "Ned Stark is dead!" Huh, so it's a good thing I didn't remember that joke when I finally watched GoT a few months ago.

ahh. Nice find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Satanos posted:

I don't know if it was a Wire spoiler but I feel like this scene with Omar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDjiAm5rzE was parodied on Parks and Rec but I can't for the life of me find any proof that it exists.

I'm picturing Leslie walking down the street whistling with a bat? maybe in her hand and kids are scattering. I have no idea why this scene is in my head. I'm really not sure it happened. Maybe I'm mixing it up with another show that parodied The Wire.

Edit: I figured out where my memory was from. It was Lily on How I Met Your Mother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra-Knsh7egs

I'm not sure this Parks and Rec reference to the Wire exists.

Stabitha fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 3, 2014

• Locked thread