Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

smg77 posted:

Isn't this kind of the same trap The Office fell into? Running out of ideas so they just magnify annoying character traits to try and keep things interesting.

P&R fell into the trap years ago by making Leslie right. You rooted for Leslie in the first couple of seasons because she was, like Michael Scott, deeply flawed, but endearing. Leslie wasn't always right, but she was energetic and optimistic and that's what made her appealing. However, things shifted in seasons 3 and 4. Suddenly, Leslie wasn't the misguided kook anymore; she became Ms. Smith on a mission to save the town from a corrupt political machine. You were supposed to root for her not because she was likable, but because she was right. The show proceeded to gloss over her flaws and turn her into a dull mouthpiece for the writers' political beliefs. As a result, everything that made her likable disappeared. Now its season 6 and the writers are desperately trying to regress her back into the loveable kook we fell in love with, but can't seem to put that genie back in the bottle. Its a shame, really, because P&R used to be a really good show when it was just irreverent fun.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

NienNunb posted:

Saying the show has dipped in quality is one thing, but the kneejerk "___________ IS loving AWFUL I ALWAYS HATED THEM" posts are straight up wacky. Plus this was actually a really funny episode so y'all should calm down about Parks and Recreation.

Fans who think the show peaked in seasons 2&3 and those who think it peaked in seasons 4&5 have completely different ideas about what made the show good in the first place and I, for one, am having fun watching them argue about things that have been part of the show since Day 1. Its like the people in the Big Bang Theory thread complaining about Sheldon's lack of character growth as if BBT was a serious drama about an aspie genius coming to grips with his humanity. P&R is a silly primetime network sitcom and if you're watching it expecting to see April become a successful, well-rounded career woman, you fail at watching tv.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just saw this past week's P&R and I have a few questions.

Where is Tom?
Who is the gay guy?
How did Ron get seven kids?
Why isn't Leslie a councilwoman anymore?
What happened to Jerry?

Feel free to not answer any of those questions because I really don't care. That episode was awful.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The mistake was considering Leslie Knope a feminist icon when she is, in fact, a fictional character.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

I wonder what amazing performing show they are going to put in it's slow when its over.

If NBC had an amazing performing show, it wouldn't have renewed P&R.

• Locked thread