Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Macaluso posted:

That final parting between Leslie and Ann :smith:

Also that final shot at the very end was weird. The thing with Ron a few episodes ago and the headphones didn't bother me but that big panning camera shot at the end overlooking the town broke the documentary style camera work TOO much

This show isn't reeeeeeally a mockumentary anymore (if it ever was).

Edit: that is to say, the style doesn't really mean anything important for Parks and Recreation (unlike The Office). It's always been a little loose. Parks uses the format more because it's a kind of structural shorthand Mike Schur got comfortable with while he wrote for The Office, and TV audiences picked up the language while they watched The Office.

quote:

AVC: What sort of inspiration do you continue to draw from the mockumentary format?

MS: I love it. I think it brings a lot. We’re not as hardcore as The Office was. At The Office, we had incredibly strict rules about how it could be shot, how it could be edited, and how the actors should be. It softened the ground and made that format, which was a little foreign to people, possible. It allowed us to be looser with the rules. The main advantage is that, at its core, it’s a device for showing the ways people act and behave differently when they’re in public and private. You can see people behaving a certain way around the corner or through some blinds, then you can interview them and they’ll spin like crazy, hiding their feelings. We wanted this to be a mockumentary show because in the world of government, the difference between what goes on behind closed doors and what people present to the public is a huge issue. Plus, the single-camera format can be alienating, and the talking heads help us relate directly to the audience, and provide breaks in the action.

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I have a problem with Craig: I like him too much.

It's INCURABLE

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

How many not-finales has this show had so far? Off the top of my head there's The Pit getting filled in, Leslie and Ben's wedding, Ann leaving Pawnee, and... the most recent episode (until the last thirty seconds).

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

It's going to be a 13-episode season, so it makes sense that they'd hold off depending on what new shows get cancelled.

NBC: Depends on what Fails!

• Locked thread