Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

You'd think Ron would be fine with all those companies getting his information. It is the free market, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I think one of the things that had distinguished Parks and Rec is that it's been willing to change and adapt as time goes by. Conversely, the periods the show has been most stale recently has been when it's succumbed to sitcom static syndrome. So I'm hoping they can keep up the pattern of changes with real consequence.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

So now we don't get another new episode until November 14th? Friggin' NBC.

We'll apparently get 2 back-to-back episodes on Nov. 14th and 21st, and then another break until January. :(

I like how this means the P&R Halloween episode will air on October 21. I feel like NBC has done this a few times before (bumped P&R so a holiday episode aired way late).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing that really confused me about these recent episodes, since when was it established that Leslie losing the recall election means she'll be losing her P&R job also? When she was talking about how, between the recall loss and Ben's firing they'll both be unemployed and have nothing to do, that seemed like it came out of nowhere.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zedd posted:

Wasn't it so that she cut back on her hours in a major way during her campaign+council position and she wouldn't have a fulltime job left at P&R?

I don't remember this at all. If anything, I think it was the opposite, that they made a big point over how the council position is part time so she can still be the parks director. Even though I'd think that'd be a big conflict of interest itself...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FadingChord posted:

I feel like there's always a solid-but-unremarkable episode mid-season that sets up the status quo for the second half (Ann's Decision, Citizen Knope, Camping) and I get the feeling that this is the one for this season (depending on what they do with Leslie, but I assume we'll see Ben stepping into being City Manager and Tom starting as Business Liaison as two of the larger plots in the later season.

Do we really need a third underdog election story-arc in a row?

Plus, as mentioned above, it really confused me how, after the last few episodes suddenly driving home how Leslie was going to lose her job along with the council position, they seem to completely ignore that. That was pretty sloppy, especially by P&R standards.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A big problem I had with this episode was, haven't we seen Leslie doing her P&R job during her time as town councilwoman? Since when was it supposed to be that she hadn't been in the parks department since getting elected? I don't know what exactly they've been aiming for with the whole Leslie job thing since it was brought up during the recall episodes but it's been really sloppily handled.

I also wasn't a big fan of Leslie reverting back to her really grating jerk personality for a lot of the episode. I did like the Ben prank and Ron's reaction to having his bacon saved but this is a disturbing trend for P&R to have two really weak episodes in a row.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lugaloco posted:

Even though I still love Parks, I'm surprised there's going to be another season. Everything feels like it's coming to a satisfying close and the characters don't really have anywhere else to go. What could you fill another 13 episodes with that hasn't been done already? I know it sounds weird, but I was really hoping this was the final season.

Came here to say the same thing. I love P&R as much as anyone, I even enjoyed the first season and Mark Brandanawitz, but honestly this is the first time I feel like the show has gotten to a point, both in quality and in plot/character development, where it makes sense to just wrap it up. It's still way better than The Office was at this same point but that's also damning with faint praise, and I'd rather P&R just end on as high a note as possible rather than continuing down what I do (however painfully) have to see as a slow decline since the second half of season 5.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm with PriorMarcus, I don't care what justification they invented to excuse it, the Jerry joke (since it's always the exact same thing) was never funny, became even less so when they ran it into the ground (about three seasons ago), and is completely at odds with the tone of the rest of the show and the characterization of everyone. It's maybe the only thing I disliked about P&R even in seasons 2/3.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really liked the Andy/April storyline, but the other two ones really bored me.

Although I did like Ron's "Is the nurse still angry? Actually, don't care." And the fact that Jerry was involved without a single dumb Jerry joke.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

VagueRant posted:

I can't tell if you're serious. After SIX seasons with Leslie Knope, what on earth would make you think she would ever abandon Pawnee for anything short of presidency?

Well, you don't just go from being the parks director of a small town directly to President of the United States, there would have to be more steps in between, pretty much all of them outside of Pawnee. I don't see why they don't have her just run for the state senate or something like that, that way she could still have her in Pawnee interacting with everyone else while still taking a believable step up.

I did like the Swanson and bee stuff, but in addition to the Leslie/Pawnee angst I'm getting tired of Ben doormat subplots.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Last Chance posted:

I don't think anyone would be upset with that character's mannerisms if the quality of this show's writing hadn't completely flatlined.

Yeah, chiming in to agree with this.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing I noticed is that this episode title was simply "Galentine's Day". They directly reused an episode title from season 2. That's pretty odd.

OmegaBR posted:

Y'know, as hokey and unrealistic as it sounds, I'd actually be sort of interested in an episode where we find out just why everybody dislikes Larry so much. As in one singular incident that just turned everybody in city hall against him for years to come, including fresh-faced intern Leslie Knope.

The whole Larry hate thing didn't really come full swing until season 3, I feel like. Season 1 he was just a background character, and season 2, while it started the Larry-joking (with the murinal episode, I think?) there were also things like Ron being glad with him being on the hunting trip, or him actually contributing to the telethon, neither of which would be allowed to happen now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SaltLick posted:

They might trash him a bunch at least they acknowledged he was a good employee and even with the teasing they do care about him. Wasn't there that episode where Leslie tried to make his last day pretty rad?

Well, her attempt just ended up ruining what would have actually been a nice last day for him, plus it was then followed by Leslie having him cancel his Caribbean cruise so he could be a menial intern on her campaign.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fawf posted:

The show's biggest problem is that the cast includes Lucy Lawless and she's only been in like three episodes

I actually think this is a good point. Lucy Lawless basically means that Ron's family can't be shown, which is a big problem when him having a family is the central part of his character arc now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Given Ron's obsession with privacy ("My name is Ron, you don't need to know my last name."), it makes perfect sense to me.

Well, given the main thrust of him having a family seems to be the fact that he needs to finally learn to act less like a crazy libertarian survivalist and more like an actual functioning human being and member of society, I would have thought this was something that would have changed if they had had his wife be an actress they could afford to hire more often.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

frontyardninja posted:

Xander looked like a cross between Guy Pearce and Val Kilmer

I spent the first few minutes of his time on screen seriously wondering if it was Guy Pearce somehow. When they first showed the country star I also wondered for a moment if it was Matt Smith.

Anyway, I share the concerns about the pregnancy, but this was probably my favorite episode this season. Drunk Ben and nice Ron in particular were amazing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OmegaBR posted:

They could easily do a time skip and come back for season 7 with Ben and Leslie juggling the baby (plus Tom's Bistro being open or about to.) Maybe put a strain on their relationship as both are always working, yet Ben is expected to play Mr. Mom.

I would actually really like this plotline. I think their relationship could use something to shake it out of the status quo of "Leslie is always right, she and Ben are always completely head over heels with each other."

Final Fart Buttball posted:

April will probably get pregnant in the next couple of years if the show is renewed.

I remember a few seasons ago thinking they were setting up an April pregnancy, but can't remember why any more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hoverboards are so 2015, anyway.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I still have the first five seasons of P&R up on my Netflix. Plus all of the Office and 30 Rock (and Twin Peaks).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was really pissed off when season 3 aired midseason and got truncated, but I'm kind of glad that this is the case for the final season. The last two seasons in particular had a ton of extra space that they clearly had trouble filling, so hopefully cutting out five or ten episodes will make it flow a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Merauder posted:

For anyone who thought my write up of the GenCon Cones of Dunshire event sounded like a good time, I spoke with one of the guys from Mayfair (the company who developed it and put on the event) recently and he tipped me off that due to popular demand they are likely going to run a Kickstarter to develop the game into a real product for the masses. Going to be a ridiculous sized box!

Wouldn't there be some copyright issues with NBC?

• Locked thread