Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

T to the H to the R-E-A-D
This is the best thread in TV IV
Forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

ETB posted:

Parks and Recreation fans got a nod from an NPR news report about the theft of Charlie, the tiniest horse. They played Andy's tribute to Lil' Sebastian at the end of the report, and it was magical.

I saw Nick Offerman on his college tour thing and he closed the night playing "5,000 Candles in the Wind" on his guitar. It was even more magical. :3:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'm also doing a selective (and mostly haphazard) rewatch, but all it does is make me sad that our dream of Perd-vert gangtags was so quickly extinguished.

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't remember this at all. If anything, I think it was the opposite, that they made a big point over how the council position is part time so she can still be the parks director. Even though I'd think that'd be a big conflict of interest itself...

She agrees to cut back to ten hours during Jerry's Sweet Sixteen, but it's framed as voluntary and more of a leave of absence. I don't know that it got addressed post-election, but unemployed Leslie was a shock to me as well.

E: Specifically, I can't remember Leslie doing any Parks and Rec work as opposed to council work that happened to be in close collaboration with the Parks gang. It's not like Chris has been impartial since the first episodes of Season 3, though, so conflicts of interest aren't much of a thing in Pawnee.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 3, 2013

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

There's a 19 minute retrospective piece for the first 100 episodes on Buzzfeed (and apparently only on Buzzfeed?). I'm only 30 seconds in right now, but that's enough to let you know that there's a singing and dancing Perd Hapley:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Yeah, having seen the later seasons of The Office, I'd be okay with it ending nowish. Most of the characters have gotten married and/or grown up considerably, Chris and Ann are about to get their happily ever after, and 100ish episodes is really a good run. Plus Chris Pratt's career is blowing up, Adam Scott and Amy Poehler's profiles have been raised, and Aubrey Plaza and Aziz Ansari are both starting to shape up for bigger and better things. Plus the finale episodes have always been designed as pretty good series finales.

If they did an intentional last season (like the last seasons of The Office, 30 Rock, and How I Met Your Mother) then I'd definitely be on board, but I can see Parks and Rec having worn out its welcome by 2016.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I just found out yesterday that Amy Poehler and Nick Kroll are dating. It's added a whole new dimension to reruns of episodes where Leslie and The Douche interact.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Aubrey Plaza's definitely weird, but I'd be surprised if at least 90% of it wasn't calculated. She's offbeat in a way that complements her comedy style and acting style and feeds into the characters that she plays. Aziz Ansari's pretty similar in a less offbeat way: most of his standup could be performed by Tom Haverford (who would be just as happy hanging out with Kanye and drinking with Jay-Z as he would be talking about how marriage is a weird social construct).

They've both carved out niches that will probably bit parts and minor roles coming their way after Parks and Rec is done (see also: Offerman, Nick).

Tychtrip posted:

I didn't know this. For some reason I feel bad for Will Arnett and I don't even know what kind of terms it ended on. :(

Don't worry, he was dating Billy Joel's ex-wife and now is apparently dating his producer from Up All Night. I think his current sitcom (The Millers) is actually doing pretty well, but that's based entirely on the ads CBS plays for it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I thought this episode was pretty solid if not outstanding, but I also couldn't get enough of Cones of Dunshire because Ben letting his nerd flag fly is pretty much my favorite thing.

I feel like there's always a solid-but-unremarkable episode mid-season that sets up the status quo for the second half (Ann's Decision, Citizen Knope, Camping) and I get the feeling that this is the one for this season (depending on what they do with Leslie, but I assume we'll see Ben stepping into being City Manager and Tom starting as Business Liaison as two of the larger plots in the later season.

Although why the Director of Parks and Recreation is appointing a Business Liaison to attract businesses into moving to Pawnee is beyond me. Kind of like why Leslie is unemployed. (I skipped 200 or 300 posts after I fell behind for a few episodes, was that ever sorted out?)

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I still feel like we're in the mid-season slump that Parks and Rec likes to do where we've finished one plot and we're about to kick into another. This episode wasn't fantastic, but there were a lot of parts I really liked (in particular, Ben's run-in with the law). I'll be disappointed if things don't pick up soon, but this mid-season slump is pretty typical for Parks and Rec, IMO.

Ben had some great character moments in a Leslie-less plot, though, and that was pretty nice.

"Let's talk about health insurance. Your dependents don't have it anymore. Want some illegal cheese?"

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Parks and Rec has always been really good at writing wrap-up episodes when they didn't know if they were coming back ("Freddy Spaghetti", "Li'l Sebastian", "Win, Lose, or Draw", and "Leslie and Ben" were all fantastic episodes) and I think we all would've been fine with the series ending on any of them without the benefit of hindsight.

We can be all "two or three bad episodes in a row, so the series is over" in this thread (and the late seasons of The Office cast a pretty big shadow over Pawnee), but I'm not at all worried about the show not getting a satisfying last couple of episodes whenever that happens.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

smg77 posted:

It's PTSD from what happened to The Office.

We learned our lesson after Rashida Jones left us last time.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I thought this week's episode was really good. Maybe not, like, top five material, but probably my favorite of the season so far besides Ben's plotline in Cones of Dunshire. I thought Emergency Response, Bailout, and Swing Vote were all solid enough episodes last season, though, and they had the same writer, so maybe I just like Joe Mande?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Leslie's gone mad with power, and the rest of the show is her descent, Breaking Bad-style.

She's going to rent a condo in Eagleton, take the waffle iron Ben and Ann bought her, and starting cooking up black market waffles.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I think Jamm being Jamm is bad enough for him.

Have you seen his house? He has FIVE BATHROOMS!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Eagleton took the fourth wall when they seceded. Pawnee has it back now, but nobody knows what to do with the darn thing.

EAGLETON :argh:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh god, Eagleton has a Joan Callamezo.

I didn't put this together when the episode aired but now these are two characters who have to meet right. now.

Macaluso posted:

Also the opening was great too with Leslie freaking out because Ron didn't tell her about the baby being born.

WHEN DID YOU GET A FISH?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Poque posted:

The show should end in a lumberjack's cabin with a slow cut to Ron's face, gleefully staring into the camera.

Ron giggles for half a second.
Cut to black.

*Parks and Recreation theme plays over end credits*

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Andy got fired from Sweetum's when Ben did. They also caught him stealing a bunch of candy. Ben re-hired him as his personal assistant (so basically what April was doing several seasons ago for Chris).

It's in the deleted scene from the episode on YouTube. Shouldn't have been edited out, but at least the writers have acknowledged it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

It's really weird to watch season one episodes and think that Chris Pratt wound up being the breakout star of the show.

I guess Andy finally pulled one over on Mark. :3:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

It's been a really inconsistent show and the last couple episodes haven't really done it for me as a whole, but they've still got a pretty good hold on who the characters are and at this point it's nice to just spend more time with these guys. Plus "Ann & Chris" showed that they can still pull a great episode off from time to time.

I don't want Parks and Rec to go on forever, but I'm definitely still willing to tune in every week and I'm looking forward to another season.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

swickles posted:

She was in the other family.

Ed Begley Jr., you cad! :argh:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'm kind of okay with not having Lucy Lawless around a bunch because we don't need "RON HAS A FAMILY LOOK AT RON AND HIS FAMILY" storylines every episode and she's been established as an independent character, so it wouldn't make sense to have her just hanging around the office like they've done with both Andy and Ben at various points in their employment arcs. It's nice having characters who aren't Pawnee city employees that pop up every now and then but aren't just the six angry villagers who get all the speaking lines at city meetings. It gives the characters lives outside the office (which, incidentally, was one of the weird things about later seasons of The Office).

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Pikitis probably just hired the Model UN girl off of craigslist to play his girlfriend "Allison" to prank Leslie.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

:siren: DEXHART :siren:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Naet posted:

The triplets thing is hilarious considering the callback to Will Arnett.

She's got a great oven.

And once again, her life was almost changed forever by a smudge.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

She's staying in Pawnee, but Ben is moving to Endor.

Seriously though, glad to see that Cones of Dunshire has swept the nation. They didn't even fight over who would be the Ledgermaster!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I really hope that the jump is permanent. We can skip the "Leslie's pregnant" storyline as well as Tom trying to start another business. Plus Jon Hamm!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

He was fired for being worse than Terry. We'll never see him again.

What if he goes to work at the accounting firm Ben keeps quitting?

Or if Tom's quit the government, they need a new guy in charge of publicity! If only they could find someone with advertising experience... :allears:

e: Get it together, Terry!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I can't wait to see the futuristic wonders of 2017 Pawnee. Perhaps... third in obesity?

Free wifi means that they don't have to walk to the library to order a pizza online.

So probably second in obesity, at least.

(When we find out that they're fourth in obesity, doesn't Leslie or Tom or someone name-drop who #3 in obesity is?)

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I just hope we get more Jamm in the future. I was going to post something about how every new character has taken a few trial runs to really get going, but Jeremy Jamm has been one of my favorite things about this show since his first episode.

Dexhart gets elected president in 2016. :colbert:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Leslie's job as deputy parks director was taken over by that twitchy kid from Season 2. The one who just wanted a month's worth of money.

Jean-Ralphio: "I'm DIRECTING yo' PAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRKS"

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

It's been teetering on the verge on cancellation at least once a season (the Harvest Festival, Leslie's wedding, and Ann and Chris leaving are all possible "this might be it!" moments IIRC, in addition to all of the season finales) because it's tended to get renewed in half-seasons then extended when all of NBC's new comedies crash and burn. They've all been really good episodes, so that's a really good sign for this season.

e: Actually I don't remember liking the one that launched the recall plot but aside from that, they're all pretty good. And it gave us the best Andy face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I've been marathoning the show on Netflix in anticipation for the next season. So excited and so sad at the same time, much like therapy period Chris Traeger.

• Locked thread