Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm so glad this show is back. Was laughing hysterically the whole way through. I think Chris' "I'm very sad please stop talking" line hit was the funniest. Also the entire ending with Ron was amazing. And I loved Andy being BFFs with the British guy.

You'd think now that they're starting on Season 5 they'd start to lose their steam like The Office did but it's as great as ever :allears:

OmegaBR posted:

I would have thought Ron would be more predisposed to liking Europe before Leslie's hunt, what with the ruggedness, the alcohol, the meat, etc.

Maybe not London and the tourism, sure, but overall.

Look! A clock! We don't have that in America :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

DVR cut off just as Ben put on the wig. Did I miss anything?

He said something to her and she goes "nope sorry take it off failed experiment" and rips it off his head

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Wasn't it up against the season premiere of The Big Bang Theory, though? Like, as dumb as it is, it's still wildly popular and will murder anything else in ratings without even trying.

What kind of horrible hosed up upside down hell world are we living in where this happens and not the other way around

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I agree, I thought it was one of the funniest and strongest episodes in a while. Tom's storyline was a little weak even with it all having to do with Jean Ralphio's family, but I think that's because the rest of the stories were so good. Even the Ann and Chris stuff was hilarious.

I mean, that cold open was absolutely brilliant and then they capped it off with a brilliant end bit with Ron and the beer factory. And the sheep.

Also Nthing Aubrey Plaza being fine as hell

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 29, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well that certainly is a link to Japanese suicide? :confused:

edit: Oh okay. Sorry SCOTCH factory

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I had no idea it was even called the Willis Tower now :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The earlier Simpsons in other country episodes were great. Don't worry, Parks and Recreation will get canceled long before it has a chance to get old and repetitive.

:smith:

They do seem to be setting things up to be ending the show. I'd be perfectly fine with the show ending before it overstays its welcome like most shows and I can have a fond memory of the entire run. Some of the things they've done:

They set up the possibility for Leslie and Ben to go traveling, a good excuse to use for the show ending.
Chris and Ann are leaving in the middle of the season, and losing Chris as well as Leslie's best friend is a much bigger deal than losing someone like Brandanowitz. Losing such important characters like this is usually near the end of the show.
Tom finally has a successful business now. It's in trouble at the moment, but once he gets past this hump his whole arc of wanting to be successful will finally be achieved.
I feel like Andy's current story will lead to him finally finding what he's best at and him and April will be set.
Ron is happily married now and is having a kid.

And the show will end with everyone literally living happily ever after because this is the best happiest show ever made :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

My brother absolutely refuses to watch Parks and Rec no matter how much I keep insisting, but he loves Big Bang Theory so much that him and his girlfriend named their dog after the main guy. I do. not. under. stand.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2F0InfaKOE

A cacophony of dicks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ron trying to get off the grid with Tom and Donna's help was absolutely hilarious, especially the Vine part.

I LOVE the direction they're taking. And based on the thread it seems like everyone agrees. I didn't see the town merger coming at all. Can't wait to see how this whole thing plays out. Less excited for Ann and Chris' leaving :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

OmegaBR posted:

It's pretty obvious the products they use, but it's no more blatant than any other program. I think people just tend to accept iPad as the standard tablet and iPod as the standard music player, so anything else will be more obvious (particularly a brightly colored Lumia.)

Remember, The Office actually had Staples as a major plot device more than once, and that was alongside Easy Button commercials.

Dunder Mifflin is a REAL PAPER COMPANY! It's an actual paper company that exists in real life! You are literally surrounded by "product placement" every second of every day of your life. I do not understand the problem. Having some made up box of cereal marked "FROOTY GLOPS" takes me way out of whatever scene it's in than if it was just a box of fruit loops.

When I see a close up of, say, Tom's phone and it shows the actual iPhone interface, it's normal because I see it EVERY DAY! But when you see something like the made up bullshit they have on Dexter I'm taken right out. And part of the comedy IS the products themselves. Like the HBO joke, or the part where they keep Vining Ron Vining himself trying to get off the grid. It was like in This Is The End, the jokes about the Milky Way are funny specifically BECAUSE it's about a Milky Way, not "a candy bar :geno:".

:argh: Gettin mad about gettin mad about product placement

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well you can buy actual Dunder Mifflin paper so close enough :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jesus christ, can Subway just do product placement in EVERYTHING? Every single clip posted in this thread where Subway is the product placement is amazing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm so happy to see this thread being stickied on Thursdays again :dance:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

OK I might be kind of biased toward this show in general but drat I feel like they're just killing it. I loved every plot in this one.

I think because they had SO many of the doppleganger interactions in this episode they had to fit it all in and everything just came rapid fire. It was a hilarious episode.

This is the first Parks & Rec where I feel kinda sad at the end though :smith:

I loved April's long con. I was really wondering what the hell was happening. I couldn't tell if she this new girl was SO bad that it wrapped around back to April loving her or if April was playing her. Also I love the Craig/Donna dynamic already

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Parks & Rec is the best show WHY DOES IT NOT GET BETTER RATINGS :mad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Donna is live tweeting the show tonight :dance:

TWEET YO SELF

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

From what I understand NBC gets like the worst ratings out of all the major networks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I hope before the show ends Amy Poehler gets her wish and Bill Murray plays Mayor Gunderson.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Enjoy this no context preview image

I love so much that the P&R guys put as much thought into their townsfolk as the regular cast, similar to The Simpsons. They all have their own unique character to them, it's really impressive.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jamm is such a perfect foil for Leslie. That poo poo with the gong was so funny. Also I think Tom and his new love interest have great chemistry.

The second episode was more proof of how much I'm gonna miss Leslie having Ann as her best friend. Also it cracks me the gently caress up that Jerry was Garry and is now Larry and is officially Larry until further notice.

That first episode, man. That was just rapid fire great character moments where it used everyone, a lot like the Snakejuice episode. How is this show so good? How is every character (even villains like Jamm) so consistently good? We're on season 6 and the show should feel like it's starting to go downhill like a lot of other shows but it doesn't. I love this show!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also I loved that councilman Howser was clearly on Leslie's side during the filibuster and was happy that she made it and thought it was funny when she poured Jamm's drink all over his head. They don't highlight it at all since it's in the background but it's a nice little character moment

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I've always liked that as much of a sad sack as he is around the office, every time we get a glimpse of his life outside the office he's just completely happy and fulfilled. He's far happier than, say, Tom has any chance of being.

That's what makes his character work so well I think. I think they realized you could only have the other characters poo poo on him so often if you knew that otherwise his life ruled

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CobiWann posted:

What does it say about this show and its characterization that it was a punch to the gut to see Leslie eat a Paunchburger?

It's not my place to speak for the consumer but everyone should buy it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

victorious posted:

That smug-rear end little face he pulls whenever he says something he thinks is funny kills me every time.

The giant chess pieces he used just so he could yell CHECKMATE with visual representation was incredible.

I don't understand how this show can have every one of its characters be memorable no matter how small the role they've had. Like jesus, Craig has been in only 2 episodes and he's amazing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So are we gonna get an officially licensed Cones of Dunshire game or what

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Swillkitsch posted:

(ANN PERKINS? I LOVE ANN PERKINS!)

I'm gonna miss this running joke. Every time Ann is mentioned he goes "Ann Perkins?! :)" just like when he was first introduced to the show. He's such a good character.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm rewatching seasons 2-5, because the first one is whatevs.

I just realized that Ben is wearing his Letters to Cleo t-shirt after he's resigned in disgrace, and that he picked REM (late 80s, early 90s) for his song for his Claymation. I just love the characterization and consistency. So good.

Oh and even some Eagleton residents from Filibuster! show up in the first Eagleton town meeting after the fence goes up. I think the description of Parks & Rec as a live action Simpsons is accurate, which makes sense considering some of the writers.

I was just watching the Filibuster episode and I didn't realize before but the guy at the arcade is Morris, the dude who was complaining about Donna tweeting spoilers of Death Canoe. I don't know why this kind of thing constantly impresses me on this show but it does

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

supkirbs posted:

He's definitely my favorite reccuring minor character. Let's take a quick look...at quick book.....s pro!

I love that Andy, the dumbest character on the show, gets all his jokes and thinks they are hilarious. Him bursting out laughing at all the accountant guy's jokes is so good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Annakie posted:

Vulture just posted an oral history of the Cones of Dunshire. They want to have a playable game ready for GenCon next year and are going to try and get Adam Scott and maybe more of the cast there to play it.

Looks like it's time to start saving up to go to GenCon.

Man I though this meant they were trying to actually make the game a real thing people can buy. It looks like it's more just the having a playable version at this con

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Drifter posted:

Nobody talks about how weird Plaza was for the same reason nobody talks about how weird the actor for Perd Hapley is. Because yes, it is all an act. And it's funny (but not as funny as the TV show :allears:) you could think otherwise.

Aubrey Plaza is legit that weird (and hot. She is so hot). Maybe not April levels but still. Michael Schur said when he first met her she made him more uncomfortable than he's ever been. It's awesome but it's funny watching talk shows with her as the guest because if you're not someone like Conan who knows how to deal with it, she ends up weirding the host out. Case in point, there's an interview she did with George Lopez where it's super awkward (but funny).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVBTA3-Q0ZU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man whatever. I was laughing pretty consistently throughout the whole thing. The only thing I thought was a little off was that I figured Ben and Andy were using that elaborate prank story into dumping water on them or something. The bloody Ben selfie was pretty great though. Even Ann and Chris' story, I loved them ruining the ring shop owner's day and their proposal in front of a choking Larry holy poo poo

And yeah that whole bit at the end with Ron and the award was hysterical

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

drainpipe posted:

I could watch flustered Ben all day.

Ben absolutely freaking out in the police station was perfection

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I hope we get more Craig with Ann and Chris leaving. He's funny as hell

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

edit: ^^^ Always?

Nah, the Larry thing is still funny

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Get your tissues ready guys :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That final parting between Leslie and Ann :smith:

Also that final shot at the very end was weird. The thing with Ron a few episodes ago and the headphones didn't bother me but that big panning camera shot at the end overlooking the town broke the documentary style camera work TOO much

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WoG posted:

They had a big crane shot over the harvest festival, too, back when everyone liked the show. (Stop looking for things to bitch about.)

I actually forgot about that shot but it still didn't feel as weird as this. I'm not "looking for things to bitch about" since I'm not a fan of how the thread is suddenly becoming so down on the show but I just happened to not like that particular shot in an otherwise great episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shingouryu posted:

So during this sad, sad time of no Parks and Rec, I present to you this edit of the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer that is what every Parks and Rec fan was probably thinking while watching the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uR3BdWCMIE

(Sorry if this was already posted, but I didn't see it going back a couple pages)

This is so great :allears:

• Locked thread