Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I couldn't wait til the weekend so I got everything to make gumbo tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hollismason posted:

I couldn't wait til the weekend so I got everything to make gumbo tomorrow.

This is the way

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Quick gumbo question - how well does frozen okra work vs. fresh?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Quick gumbo question - how well does frozen okra work vs. fresh?

just fine imo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
All frozen veg are partly cooked before the flash-freeze, but I feel orka are done moreso than others? Anyways I find it's easy to overcook frozen okra so add them really late.

My fav way to deal with that is waiting until the rest of everything is totally finished, then do the okra by going straight from the freezer to a hot oiled skillet. That puts some color on them and burns off some of the slime without totally overcooking it. Then combine with the rest of everything.

OTOH some people like okra really well done so if that's you, ignore this.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I use frozen cut okra all the time, sautée in a pan then throw it in. Or just throw it in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah I do take care to add the okra in during the last ~20 mins, sliced sausage in the last 30.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just dump the frozen okra into the gumbo when i finish cooking the vegetables and it turns out fine.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Okra snot helps thicken the gumbo, don't be a weenie :getin:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah you can get away with Gumbo without Roux if you use fresh okra and filet powder. Usually Roux less gumbos have okra.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Am I heathen for making my gumbo with roux, okra, and file powder? I kind of hope not, but also, I don't care if I am, seeing as I just got done with a silky smoooooth gumbo for my work lunches this week.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Eh the totally not a real rule is that you use 2 of the 3 but not all 3 at the same time but also I use all 3 in my gumbo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I too enjoy gumbo you can eat with a knife and fork

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I add gelatin to my gumbo to make a Cajun aspic.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Honestly, that sounds like the kind of thing that Brennan's could put on the menu for $20 as a starter

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Does Dooky Chase still do the lunch buffet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The_Doctor posted:

Does Dooky Chase still do the lunch buffet?

They do not. Food still amazing.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do any of you fry your chicken before adding it to your Gumbo right before serving?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That Old Ganon posted:

Do any of you fry your chicken before adding it to your Gumbo right before serving?

Do you mean pan fry, or deep fry? I do a quick browning of my chicken before I throw it in, but I couldn't see breading and deep frying it as doing anything other than adding more flour to the dish.

Though, hmm... rereading your post, now I'm curious about having gumbo with a big piece of really crunchy fried chicken on the side.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 1, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If Popeye's fried chicken and red beans and rice can be a classic combo, then so can fried chicken and gumbo. Maybe not fried chicken in the gumbo, though.

I usually brown the chicken a bit (as well as the sausage) and I've heard of people flouring the chicken before browning, but never what I think of when I hear "fried chicken."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

isn't there that video where justin wilson fries chicken then just pours flour into the leftover grease to make a roux? lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

eke out posted:

isn't there that video where justin wilson fries chicken then just pours flour into the leftover grease to make a roux? lol

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ah prudhomme, yep that's the one. and then dumping the fried chicken right back in the gumbo!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

find someone who talks about you the way prudhomme talks about food

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The recipe I'm referring to is actually out of Prudhomme's book. He reserves some of the spiced flour and some of the used fry oil to make the roux for the Gumbo. I'd rather just cook the chicken in the Gumbo instead of frying it in 1.5 inches of oil, then reserving it until the end. How would I go about doing that instead.

I don't know why my phone keeps capitalizing "Gumbo."

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I usually brown the chicken (usually thighs) in the sausage grease and then cook everything else (veggies etc) in the combined chicken and sausage grease and make the roux separate.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah I make roux separate. I like to control it and minimize variables.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

neogeo0823 posted:

Am I heathen for making my gumbo with roux, okra, and file powder? I kind of hope not, but also, I don't care if I am, seeing as I just got done with a silky smoooooth gumbo for my work lunches this week.

File powder is usually recommended to be stirred into bowls individually, if you stirred it in to be reheated later for work lunches did it affect the texture at all when you chilled and reheated?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

pandy fackler posted:

File powder is usually recommended to be stirred into bowls individually, if you stirred it in to be reheated later for work lunches did it affect the texture at all when you chilled and reheated?

I typically add in ~3tbsp to the pot at the very very end, as I'm turning off the heat and adding in the shrimp. It usually clumps a bit, but the stirring basically always takes care of that. At least, I never notice lumps of file anywhere. On reheat, I never notice anything untoward about the dish. It's always silky smooth, with a velvety mouthfeel. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever added it to a bowl that I'm about to eat. I always add it in at the very end of the cook.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the fantastic gumbo megapost. I made my first batch in years this weekend and was extremely impressed with how it turned out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the fantastic gumbo megapost. I made my first batch in years this weekend and was extremely impressed with how it turned out.

Sweet! I taught a friend how to cook it this weekend. We went through the whole process from roux to rice. I have another friend asking for lessons now too haha.

Gumbo for all

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sweet! I taught a friend how to cook it this weekend. We went through the whole process from roux to rice. I have another friend asking for lessons now too haha.

Gumbo for all

Nice! My neighbor has a kid that just graduated college and she’s striking out on her own. Am cooking with her on weekends now and then since she wants to add to the stuff her mom has taught her and we are doing gumbo this week.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I did it.

I found a place in town that sells head-on shrimp.

It's a tiny Asian market and it's drat near within walking distance from my house.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Work trip and I was coming home around lunch through rural LA. Figured I’d stop to get some gas station boudin and poo poo.

The cold stuff

The hot stuff

I settled on boudin balls, cracklins, and a shrimp egg roll. Some of those boudin balls were for the family I didn’t eat them all for lunch lol.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hell yeah

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Second time I’ve seen Billy’s mentioned online in the last couple of days. They good?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’ve always liked their boudin balls. We’d get platters of mini balls for LSU tailgates from the place in Opelousas, they’re delicious.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'd devour all of that and not feel bad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'd devour all of that and not feel bad.

Oh you’re gonna feel bad, just not regretful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I settled on boudin balls, cracklins, and a shrimp egg roll. Some of those boudin balls were for the family I didn’t eat them all for lunch lol.

this is a safe space, you don't need to justify this