Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crystal is the salt and vinegar finish with a tiny amount of heat.

Tabasco is more heat with vinegar.

Usually Im adding these to things that already have some heat, I like tabasco for beans, crystal for everything else (and sometimes beans too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ive used fresh vs frozen in my gumbo before and honestly not a lot of difference. If you were just doing like stewed okra and tomatoes as a side dish or frying okra its a lot more important.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

No, I cooked the rice separately and then added it.

I didn't realize there was a rule that you're not supposed to add rice to the gumbo during cooking. I've literally always added rice to my gumbo while cooking it cuz I just figured that's how it's done. All the recipes I've ever seen say to either cook the rice *in* the gumbo or make it separately during cooking, and I always assumed the latter meant you're supposed to add the finished rice to the gumbo while it cooks.

I've eaten plenty of gumbos where the rice was separate until serving time, but I always thought that was a personal preference thing where some people do it and others don't. I've also eaten a lot of gumbos where the two are already mixed. Isn't the whole point of gumbo that there are no right or wrong ways to do it as long as it tastes good?

Yeah. For the most part rice stays separate till eating, I have def added rice after the 1st batch done for expedience.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Trader Joes has been selling some freeze-dried okra strips.

Bit like veggie chips / straws. I like Okra but these were solidly meh, you other okra fans might like it though so take a look.