Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Oh man guys, it's crawfish season and I found a local place that picks up fresh crawfish regularly. They'll sell them live or already boiled at great prices. I've been taking advantage of it as a huge kick of nostalgia and one of my favorite foods. The last few lbs of crawfish shells were used to make a reserve of stock to hold onto. Here lately I've been using it to make gumbo and crawfish etouffee. Currently looking for other uses for it if anybody has suggestions.

Also does anybody know how well crawfish tail meat stores in if zip bagged and frozen? I'd like to possibly do a big boil of my own to save on costs(difference of ~$2-3 a pound) to collect a ton of meat for the off season before it ends.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I think its worth mentioning how dangerous roux can be when you bring them up. Be very careful when making it and for the love of god don't splash it. If it gets on your skin the combo of the oil and flour will burn the gently caress out of you. Anybody who's done it likely wont do it again. Be careful making that delicious food.

After reading up on your duck fat roux I'm going to have to go for it next time I have a chance. Otherwise some other animal fat will have to be handy.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 24, 2014

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I bet that was pretty tasty...

After we left the last parade yesterday we decided on a whim to boil some crawfish. Crawfish Boil Rules #19 and #7: Mardi Gras afternoon might not be the best day for an impromptu boil; and Do not assume that just because you have 3 propane tanks, one of them will be full.

But we made it happen, found a place that was: (a) open, (b) not all out of pane, and (c) not blocked by parades, and got some pretty big crawfish for February. It was a great way to end carnival.

I want to be you in those pictures. Lucky for me there is a guy here in Birmingham, AL who makes bi-weekly trips to Louisiana and runs a crawfish food truck. Great prices too since it's his mainstay. Red Mountain Crawfish has been my pipeline for crawfish over the last 2 years and I hope it never stops.

The truck sells both live and boiled(pictured). I've done live a few times myself, but it's hard to compete with his personal boil spice along with the good set up at a local brewery. Can't wait to get more, pick meat, suck heads, save shells for a baller stock. Then make gumbo or etouffee from it all : )

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 5, 2017