Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Buy a whole chicken, some onions, carrots, some garlic, some celery, some bell peppers. Butcher the chicken but keep the carcass. Boom, you have what you need to make chicken stock, and you can use the meat in your gumbo.

This is meant to be a cheap but hearty meal.

Making stock is literally covering everything with water and letting it simmer unsupervised for a couple hours, then straining. At its base, that's what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This is very a informative post, thank you!

How much water should I use if making crawfish stock with 2 lbs of frozen crawfish? Or for any amount of any meat? Would 3-4 quarts be too much?

EDIT: Correction: Make that 3 lbs of frozen crawdads! Whole and unpeeled. (and fully cooked if that matters) :getin:

EDIT 2: ... the "fully cooked" part matters, doesn't it?

Cooked is ok but take the tail meat out and just boil the shells if you want to use the meat in the gumbo. I mean you don't have to remove the tails but the point of stock is to extract the flavor from the stuff and put it in the water, so the tails aren't going to be very edible if you leave them in.

I use heads and shells leftover from a crawfish boil every year. There's plenty of stock builder in the heads and tails. Your issue will be peeling while frozen which I've never done so you might decide to just throw it all in there and use something else (e.g. shrimp) in the gumbo itself .

As far as how much water, what I always do is put everything in the pot and cover it with water. As mentioned above, stock is forgiving. 4 quarts is fine, and if you have a lot of liquid you can always just reduce it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Do the smorgasbord, try a bunch of poo poo. Bienville, Rockefeller, Dunbar, on horseback, stuff em in jalapeņos, stuff em in baked potatoes like Dooky Chase, oyster stew, ceviche, shooters, fried on slab of ham with hollandaise, fried with buffalo sauce. Do you have the P&J book? Tons of good ideas in there, the best thing to have for all those leftover oysters.

Speaking of P&Js I picked up a box of nice, smaller, clean puppies (about 90) and shucked them for Christmas Eve. None leftover between me, my father in law, and an old fraternity brother of his. Used a couple refinished and sharpened knives I got as a gift:

At one point the bigger knife slipped and went right through my glove and into my palm. Nice 1/4 inch puncture that is healing pretty well (bled pretty well too).

After that I used one of those little wooden blocks, nice tool that I actually recommend if you don't want to risk it.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Honestly I've had perfectly acceptable results with Knorr's shrimp or fish bouillon cubes, if you don't feel like making stock. If your supermarket doesn't have them check the "ethnic" section or go to a Latin or Asian supermarket.

E. Not saying don't use dashi, it might work. It just seems to have a distinct flavor that might make things...interesting.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

Catching a plane to NOLA as we speak. Will check out cookbook / hopefully post pics when I return.

Hit me up.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

I would if I had free time but just here for a wedding then jumping right back out sadly.

Then have a good time! Stay dry.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'm pretty sure every Cajun south of I-10 would retch at the idea of scallops and calamari in their gumbo. I think they will give it a different flavor, but I've never tried and can't tell you if it's good or bad. Certainly they're less offensive than putting clams or mussels in there, I would think.

Is it seafood only? What else is in there as far as proteins?

I use frozen stock in gumbo many months after I make it with no problem.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah to be clear I wasn't saying don't put it in there, it's gumbo. Put whatever you have in there, that's how gumbo came about. I'd be interested to see how it turns out so please report back.

My biggest reason for not putting anything but shrimp, crab, and oysters is probably that I have no idea where the mussels, clams, or whatever else came from, or how long they've been out of the water. I've had bad experiences with mussels and clams bought down here being uh...pungent. But I love clams and mussels, I just think they don't mix with the sweetness of crab, oysters and shrimp.

Calamari is basically tasteless so I'm sure it would have no real impact on the general flavor of the gumbo, especially if you are using crawfish stock made from boiled crawfish shells, which are usually so seasoned they produce a powerful stock (at least mine do).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Well it looks like my gumbo won't be featuring calamari after all. Also I couldn't find the bagged seasoned whole crawfish I used last time, so instead I'll be using fresh cooked whole crawfish from the seafood counter.

I'll still use 6 lbs of shrimp, although I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the shrimp I just bought at the grocery store. They should be fine, but they're not the brand I was hoping to find.

I'll try to remember to post pics.

It's posts like this that make me so thankful to live in a place where the "brand" of shrimp I buy is "shrimp that a guy in a boat pulled out of the gulf the other day" /humblebrag

Are you not using scallops anymore? I was wondering if they were going to be bay or sea scallops?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I made a roux with lard this winter and it was by far the best one I've ever had.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Are you using crawfish shells and heads from a boil? If so you have absolutely no need for chicken stock. I would argue you have no need for chicken stock regardless.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seems like a waste of crawfish to me.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For a responsive response:

I don't know how you are making your stock but shellfish stock tends to be blander when I make it unless using cooked and seasoned shells. I like my stock to have no added salt in the stock, but that's my preference. Chicken and seafood usually are fine, but I've moved away for more focused gumbos--I don't mix shrimp and crab with chicken though I don't mind shrimp and okay with a little andouille.

Should you do it? Why not.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Made crab, shrimp, okra andouille gumbo. I was only cooking for myself so was ready to try some different stuff, and following the theme of the last few posts I used some frozen turkey stock from November to make seafood gumbo.

Turkey was fried so the stock is strong, and I boiled some soft shell crabs I had in the freezer from last year in it it to sweeten it up. I also cooked the trinity separately like That Works suggested earlier in the thread.

I found it worked just fine. I used lard for the roux, results in a clear and very nice roux. Turned out rich and tasty.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nhilist posted:

All in one pot.

Awesome, looks like done grub. How much pasta to stock and cream?

That Works posted:

Looks great!

Made a quick pot of gumbo today.

Are those carrots?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry to post Facebook but I thought this was pretty funny

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...2051499%2F&_rdr

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'm all for adding different poo poo to gumbo but there is so much random junk in that recipe that seems so bizarre that at some point just call it something else because it ain't gumbo no more ya herd?

e. BUT! I actually think whatever that is would taste pretty good. It might even have some gumboesque flavor shades because of the okra and trinity.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 14, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I love etouffee but it's so goddamn rich and thick I feel like my arteries are clogging as I eat it

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mushika posted:

That means you're doing it right.

My father in law makes etouffee 5-6 gallons at a time and freezes them in quart containers to stick the freezer. Great to pull out on a winter night.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

They have a full-sized freezer that is slammed to the gills with quart containers of gumbo, etouffee, maque choux, various stocks, purreed berries, gallon ziploc bags of fish and blue crabs, and not just a few shrimp and rice stuffed chickens. The man makes jambalaya in one of these:

(not him obv. I got the pic from this site - http://www.anotherpintplease.com/home//2012/01/brew-day-jambalaya-edition.html)

I tend to eat pretty well when I visit them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

DO IT

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dirty rice is the best dressing but I don't think that's what you're looking for...though it could probably work with andouille and chorizo.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

Lol

Worth reading a few pages back to get the joke

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hopper posted:

So a friend came back from the state's and brought me andouille sausages! I invited them and a bunch of others over for gumbo on Sunday. I plan to cook the gumbo tomorrow, chicken and andouille.
This time, I would like to make my own chicken stock from scratch, using the chicken meat in the gumbo.

However, in Germany for making stock we use Suppenhuhn, which is a literal chicken, i.e. female., when roasting chicken, we use male chicken for better meat.

I am not a native speaker, when a recipe for making stock and gumbo says chicken, do they mean a female or male? I.e. should I use a chicken I would roast in this case as I want more meat?
My gut says yes but I wanted to ask before I start.

In the United States, practically all chickens consumed as food are female. But, you should use whatever chicken you think would taste better. I assume you are going to butcher the chicken first, and use only the bones to make the stock. Usually, I save the meat to add to the gumbo, in order to avoid leeching all of its flavor into the stock.

Like TW says below either chicken will work. You are making soup so if there is a large price difference female is fine.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 13, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If your recipe calls for browning the chicken and using the rendered fat to make roux, keep in mind it's very easy for bits of chicken to burn, which (1) can throw off the roux and (2) can make it hard to distinguish the little black flecks that indicate you have burned the roux. In that case it's better to brown the chicken, deglaze and reserve your fond, and make the roux in a clean pot.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

One thing I saw was something called "Kitchen Boutique."

Was it this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_Bouquet

Lol if they are listing that as an ingredient.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Oh yeah for sure. I thought it was on their menu or something.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I use it in gumbo purely for color. I have brought a roux to essentially the color of dark chocolate, and once the stock is added to the gumbo, it lightens up significantly. I'm trying different things to get real dark final gumbo, but short of using roux in a jar it doesn't happen without bouquet.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mmmm...grillades and grits....put a couple poached eggs on there too...Bloody Mary...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Saw some big-rear end local shrimp, I think they were about 6-8 to the pound and $5.99.

So I made shrimp and cheese grits. Grits are stone ground with some butter and grated parm and mascarpone folded in.

I used homemade shrimp stock and some leftover tomatillos in the sauce which gave nice acidity to the sauce without needing lemon juice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Starting next week through mardi gras I fully expect to subsist on a diet of gumbo, crawfish monica, better cheddar and king cake.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Every time we get a rotisserie chicken, or roast a chicken ourselves, or butcher a chicken, I throw the carcass in the freezer and when I have 3 or so I make stock with the bones. Nothing wrong with freezing carcasses for use later. Same with shrimp head/shells, crab shells, lobster shells, fish bones, crawfish shells, etc.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Klyith posted:

Poemdexter's pics looked way too good, so I'm gonna Do the Daube this weekend.

I got some shoulder chuck rather than rump after poem saying that trimming the fat off would have been a good change. Shoulder is tougher so it may need more cook time, but that's ok. I'm also thinking about including a light roux in the mix like this recipe does.

My one problem: I don't have a proper cast iron dutch oven or stovetop-safe casserole.
What I have for options:
- use the same heavy weight steel stockpot that I use for most everything else
- do the first part on the stovetop, transfer everything to a standard ceramic casserole and finish in the oven
- possibly borrow an electric crockpot from a friend, if they still have it?
- make a trip to buy the right thing

What do people think?

Any of the above. Coonass make do.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I bet that was pretty tasty...

After we left the last parade yesterday we decided on a whim to boil some crawfish. Crawfish Boil Rules #19 and #7: Mardi Gras afternoon might not be the best day for an impromptu boil; and Do not assume that just because you have 3 propane tanks, one of them will be full.

But we made it happen, found a place that was: (a) open, (b) not all out of pane, and (c) not blocked by parades, and got some pretty big crawfish for February. It was a great way to end carnival.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For those that ain't seen it yet, maybe the most Louisiana thing I've ever come across

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

What's the most cajun/creole thing to do with cabbages, other than throw them at people from a float? I'm up to three heads so far....

Cook it with some top ramen and a couple carrots, maybe a moon pie

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Next time make the stock with shells, you're wasting shrimp and crawfish dude!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You made the most expensive stock you will ever eat, so luxurious

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Well after 7 hours of work, my kitchen is destroyed, I have squishy burn wounds on my hand and arm that are full of puss, and all in all my latest gumbo attempt ended in failure. :(

It seemed to be going good until I added the trinity. I think maybe I added the vegetables too soon after taking the roux off the heat. I put them in right after the roux came off the stove. The whole mixture basically tasted burned after that, and no amount of salt could fix it.

A real shame. I spent 2 hours making that roux, and probably put together one of the best stocks I've ever done. $60 worth of ingredients I'll never get back.

How long should I wait after taking my roux off the heat before adding the vegetables?

Bruh I'm sorry...it does sound like you burned the roux. As you now know, once you get to that point nothing will save it. Though sometimes what seems like a burned taste will ease up after a while.

What color did you end up with before adding vegetables? A Hershey bar is not burned, though you may have had some burned flakes on the bottom. Like Klyith said, you need to keep it all moving and off the bottom. I use a regular (long-handled) whisk to get the flour mixed in, but I have enameled cast iron pots so I'm not worried about anything. Though once the roux comes together I use a flat-edged wooden spoon or a paddle, though a heavy rubber spatula would also work as well as the flat whisk Klyith says.

I scrape the roux off the bottom, mix in a figure-8 motion, go around the edges, do a little zigzag across everything and repeat. I do this at a high heat and it takes about 30 minutes. If you cooked the roux for 2 hours before adding anything there is no way you didn't burn the poo poo out of it unless it was at a low heat. Or you could just cook it in the oven, it's usually just as good and much less work. :)

Don't be discouraged. Everyone has burned a roux and ruined the gumbo at least once. Be happy you didn't throw in a bunch of crabmeat and fresh oysters! I would recommend you stick to chicken and andouille until you get the hang of roux-making. Also, once you figure out how to make a roux in 30-40 minutes, it's not quite as deadly to just start over if you gently caress up. Remember--adding the stock is the point of no return (unless you have more stock). Oil and flour are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What dat fella say?