Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That looks really good.

Thanks! First attempt, and it was probably the most delicious thing I’ve ever made. Definitely going to make that again soon, in bigger quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s a few good ones there, and a few I’d definitely skip. The Main St Market has some really nice places. Last time I went I had some really good soul food from SYI Express, who aren’t on that list. Calling it a food court though is a bit of a disservice. On the one hand, technically yes that’s true, but on the other they’re all little independent local retailers.

Capital City Grill is nice for brunch. Tsunami is expensive and not that great, but the view is good.

It’s all very downtown, which doesn’t have a massive selection, so the McDonald’s and Jimmy John’s fee like they’re scraping the barrel in terms of what to have. If you can go out of downtown you start getting much more choice, and honestly much better options. If you need suggestions, I’m more than willing to drop a small list as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

I've been gone from BR long enough that the restaurant scene is pretty unrecognizable from when I lived there, but here are a few thoughts.

Parrain's is a standby for seafood. I liked Sammy's on Highland for crawfish. Tsunami is all about the view, but if you're downtown it's worth at least grabbing a drink on the rooftop. On a more recent visit we ate at City Pork which I thought was pretty good. Bistro Byronz is another good option.

I can't speak too much for fine dining because I was a broke as poo poo twenty-something, but Juban's is good and Nino's Italian on Bluebonnet is owned and operated by some friends of ours.

I guess you could go to the original Raising Cane's location if you want the experience of "eating Cane's in a place that doesn't look like a Cane's" :v: Although if I wanted to go eat somewhere with a campus vibe it would probably be The Chimes (get the blackened alligator and boudain balls).

Is the little hole-in-the-wall Thai place under the Perkins Road overpass still there? I remember that being really good. If you just wanted to drive and see what catches your eye, Perkins Road heading east from the I-10 overpass is a decent bet. Also Government Street heading east out of downtown.

If you're talking about Rama, unfortunately they shut down less than a year ago.

These are all good suggestions, especially Chimes, City Pork, and Parrain's. Juban's is having issues right now, it seems. I'd also recommend Louie's, which is a diner that's been around LSU campus since the 40s. Elsie's Pie & Plate on Government is really nice. I have to give a shout out to Pit-n-Peel, which is owned by a friend of mine, for bbq and seafood. Every time I'm back in BR, I get a chimichanga at Zippy's because I've not found one as good anywhere else. Ruby Slipper Cafe is a small chain, based out of New Orleans, but their food is really good. Chicken Shack I've been recommended by everyone, but haven't gone yet myself.

For coffee, hit up Coffee Call, Highland Coffee, Brew Ha Ha, or a CC's.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Has fried catfish topped with crawfish etouffee always been a thing? I definitely don't remember having them together growing up, but the last time I was in baton rouge I noticed that lots of restaurants had that. Well at least two of them anyways, chimes being one of them

Either way, it was a convenient way of getting two things I wanted at the same time

drat, that sounds good. I’ll have to hit up Chimes when I can finally fly back to the US.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Endless Justin Wilson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEOok17Lko

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nolacuisine doesn’t have a crab au gratin recipe, who does? I remember having the one at Deanie’s and it being probably the richest thing I’ve ever eaten.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Looks pretty simple, surprisingly. The hard part is going to be getting decent lump crabmeat in the UK.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Has anyone here cooked the 'red beans & rice with ham hocks and smoked andouille sausage', straight out of Chef Paul's cookbook? I've long used the recipe for red beans and rice on the Goons with Spoons wiki (https://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice) and it's always so amazing. I can't wait to go back for leftovers.

Recipe sounds good, but none of the pictures load?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Yeah, I don't know about that. I guess the pictures the author uploaded are gone. It's been 13 years since they first published it. The pics weren't really necessary as I recall, though one did show their pet tortoise nibbling on a stalk of celery which was pretty cute.

The internet provides with pictures! That tortoise :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trying that red beans recipe, but drat some measurements wouldn’t hurt.

EDIT: came out great, eventually. Next time I wouldn’t add the bitters like the recipe says though. Ended up putting a tablespoon of sugar in to balance out and that worked.

(This is actually seconds, the first bowl vanished so fast I didn’t get to take a photo)

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 3, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Any particular pastalaya recipe you guys like?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I found this in a cupboard at home, which I forgot I bought a few months ago, so that’ll be fun to try.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Make your own! Or drop by any of my friends, someone will be cooking something and they will feed anyone who turns up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I found this in a cupboard at home, which I forgot I bought a few months ago, so that’ll be fun to try.

That Works posted:

Post a trip report. I haven't seen one of those in years, kinda curious to see how it stacks up to a standard jambalaya.

I finally got around to cooking it, and it came out really nice. Put like 4 chicken thighs worth of meat in, plus a whole sausage. The heat built nicely, and my spice-loving boyfriend really dug it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hell yeah, I’d love some of that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You gotta fight Ms. Linda for it. And she can take you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So it’s a giant sausage roll

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Til it look right

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

See, it’s definitely all personal preference. I wouldn’t put anything more than 2-3 shakes of Peychauds in anything, if at all. it has a very strong note that can be quite unpleasant.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Red Stick Spice Co. does some great stuff, highly recommend.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This is my go to etoufee recipe. It’s for shrimp, but it’s the sauce that’s the important part.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember going to a Louisiana-themed restaurant in London (because I'm a masochist) and Jambalaya was on the menu described as coming 'with a side of rice'. Like... what?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

I was also flabbergasted to learn about potato salad in gumbo as an adult,

Right?! I only learnt about that a few years back and it just blew my mind, but not in a good way. Just, ew.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve got good friends. I’m coming into BR late October for a long week, and they’re all planning what they’re gonna cook me. :unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Never seen that in the store. No fish stock either, not even bouillon. I think I'd need to go to the Asian market for that.

Yeah, when I make etoufee, I’ve bought fish bouillon cubes from my local Asian supermarket. On one occasion I used a seafood hotpot base, which was a thick goopy bag of stock and veggies that needed to be mixed in boiling water, and that came out really nicely,

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Does Dooky Chase still do the lunch buffet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Does Dooky Chase still do the lunch buffet?

They do not. Food still amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

eke out posted:

isn't there that video where justin wilson fries chicken then just pours flour into the leftover grease to make a roux? lol

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Second time I’ve seen Billy’s mentioned online in the last couple of days. They good?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Give the pup whatever they want. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hash browns too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edit: wrong continent

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 25, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Well I just made my first ever shrimp stock with shrimp heads, following Phil Moscowitz's megapost. It smells a little pepper-y but maybe that'll balance out later when I make the actual gumbo.

Now if only I could find some fresh okra. I know frozen okra works fine but it feels like a waste after all the effort I went to to make this stock.

Check your local big Asian market/store. If it’s big enough to have a fresh produce section, chances are good they’ll carry okra.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I prefer fried okra, but you do you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Walmart fried okra (for snacking as you walk around the store) is only available in Louisiana, to my sadness.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

nolacuisine.com has vanished again! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

yeah, I've been using that, and just c/p-ing to a text file