Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Safety Factor posted:

Batam, Indonesia.

You are way, way more dedicated than me. That muff looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm heading to NOLA in a couple weekends with some friends and was wondering about restaurant suggestions. This list was posted here circa 2019, but there was a little pandemic since then and I'm told a couple places may have shut down. Is that list still tried and true, anything worth adding/omitting? We're probably staying in the Garden District, likely Irish Channel if that helps, but more than happy to Uber wherever.

Edit: It's worth adding that all 3 of us are very casual people. Anything that requires a jacket is going to be a hard no.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 12, 2021

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

User Error posted:

**DESIRE TO BE IN LOUISIANA INTENSIFYING**

I got a bunch of live crawfish shipped to Missouri a few years ago and had a grand ol time. Cost a boatload but worth it. How long does crawfish season run?

Generally speaking, beginning of/early February through late April/early May. That's in Houston, anyway, you can get them live outside of that season but they're generally small/expensive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

What, you didn't even boil in Sunny D?

https://twitter.com/irongrrlrock/status/1516304731987189762

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discussion Quorum posted:

One of my friends in BR added a bunch of halved oranges to their crawfish boil and it was pretty good but this is a bit much.

On a related note, I had crawfish at BB's in Houston last week. They were pretty good. They at least got the basics right, more than I can say for Ragin' Cajun.

:prepop: I've had my eye on that one for a while. Good buy?

The smothered okra sounds really good but I like the parmesan topping idea more than the thought of putting it in gumbo.

BB's is OK for crawfish, but the pro move here is to go for Viet-Cajun style. LA Crawfish and Crawfish & Noodles are probably the best known places for this style but there are a whole bunch in this city.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

neogeo0823 posted:

Check out page 18 of this thread for the recipe. Other goons on that page suggested making a roux, by searing the meat in 1/3rd cup oil, then adding the same amount of flour, do the roux, then add the mirepoix in when ready. IME, the blackened bits from searing the meat don't interfere with the roux process, but you'll wanna add the mirepoix to the roux a bit earlier than you might otherwise, as the stuff on the bottom of the pot looked like it was about to burn till I got it scraped up after the moisture from the mirepoix loosened it. Another goon suggested that instead of cooking on the stove top for 4 hours, preheat the oven to 300F, then turn it down to 275F when you put the pot into the oven. I like this method as you get less chance of burning the stuff on the bottom of the pot, and you don't have to stir it at all except when you flip the meat halfway through cooking.

I'll be making this soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bluedeanie posted:

My beloved fiance has recently learned that gluten betrays her. What alternative flours can I use to make a dark roux for my gumbo that will not make a super noticable change in flavor or texture? I worry sorghum would be too sweet.

Gram/chickpea flour?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

neogeo0823 posted:

Trip report:

Gumbo was made and has been getting eaten all week. Flavor-wise, it turned out pretty dang good. But gumbo always turns out good, so that's not unusual.The different herbs and spices and the like added a bit of intrigue, but I think I need to up the amounts for next time. I could taste everything, but it was just pretty subtle. I used all of the listed amounts except for the bitters, which I did 8 shakes of.

One thing that did happen was that I almost ruined the roux. I have an electric stove that had an apparently failing coil that I used for this, and it burned out right as I got the stock into the pot. Apparently, while I was making the roux, the coil was busy burning itself up, and blackened the bottom of the dutch oven right under my nose. But thankfully, I was able to gently scrape out the roux into a separate pan, carefully clean the crud out of the bottom, and then continue on. The only downside was that the non-burnt roux didn't get as dark as I normally make it. Ah well.

I ended up making far and away too much gumbo for one guy to eat in a week, so I brought the remainder in to work and split it amongst the crew. It got rave reviews, so that's good.

You always have the option of oven roux - it takes noticeably longer, but is apparently much more consistent and less prone to burning. Plenty of recipes online, or I'm sure someone here has a link to one they like.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The only thing I'd add is that andouille is far more available on the Gulf coast than in other parts of the country. Maybe this has changed, but even within the last couple years I've had to remind folks that any good quality, smoked pork sausage can be used in a pinch. Just don't get some jalapeno & cheddar abomination, you want something that's basically pork, fat, spices, and casing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oh, another addition to the megapost could be a link to instructions on oven roux.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discussion Quorum posted:

Savoie's is my go-to, but Zummos is good, too. Those are the legit brands I see most often outside LA. Andouille and tasso freeze really well, and it looks like Savoie's will ship it to you, so if you're able to stock up...

This place local to me will also ship, as well as Rabideaux's (I think - mobile site isn't working right for me), where I used to stop when driving from Houston back to BR.

Side note on Zummo's, they also make a smoked boudin that is phenomenal as an appetizer. Pan fry a couple of those up, serve with crackers and your sauce of choice, and go to town.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I really need to make a pot of gumbo soon.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Quick gumbo question - how well does frozen okra work vs. fresh?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I add gelatin to my gumbo to make a Cajun aspic.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'd devour all of that and not feel bad.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I. M. Gei posted:

I went to buy head-on shrimp for gumbo today and the store was out. :negative:

Even worse, a guy at the seafood counter told me he heard a rumor that some new state legislation was making it impossible for them to get more.

Do any of y'all know anything about this? I live in Texas and I haven't heard anything about a law making shrimp with heads illegal. Maybe it's some anti-immigrant poo poo cuz a lot of the shrimp comes from Ecuador?

I'm in Texas and I haven't heard of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The super-thick gumbo makes me kinda want gumbo pot pie now. That would be an interesting change.