Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

pandy fackler posted:

File powder is usually recommended to be stirred into bowls individually, if you stirred it in to be reheated later for work lunches did it affect the texture at all when you chilled and reheated?

I typically add in ~3tbsp to the pot at the very very end, as I'm turning off the heat and adding in the shrimp. It usually clumps a bit, but the stirring basically always takes care of that. At least, I never notice lumps of file anywhere. On reheat, I never notice anything untoward about the dish. It's always silky smooth, with a velvety mouthfeel. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever added it to a bowl that I'm about to eat. I always add it in at the very end of the cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, this thread seems like a good place to ask this question, possibly. I'm looking to do a twist on chicken and waffles for dinner tonight. I've got this bag of fried cheddar bacon scallop balls from Aldi, and I wanna serve them over some cheddar bay biscuit waffles. What would be a good sauce to go over the top of that? I've got a bit of bourbon barrel maple syrup that I could drizzle over the top, but I feel like I should accentuate that with maybe some hot sauce and possibly citrus? Or I could go creamy with something like a sriracha mayo, possibly. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I ended up finding a bottle of Aldi's version of boom boom sauce in the back of the pantry, and mixed equal parts that and the bourbon barrel maple syrup with a bit of lime juice to brighten it up. It tasted pretty ok.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 15, 2024

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That Works posted:

Sounds like it would be good.

I think general questions thread is prob best overall if you wanted any more followup / suggestions. This isn't a bad spot for it but maybe more eyeballs over on that one comparatively.

Yeah, I should've asked there. I figured here at the time because it's like, chicken and waffles, but seafood, which seems in this thread's bag. One bit of advice I'll give if anyone here wants to try making cheddar bay waffles, the box calls for 3/4 cup of water, but use 1 1/4 cup. The waffles won't wanna brown in the iron very easily, so take them out as soon as there's no more steam coming out of the iron and crisp them in the air fryer for a minute or two. For the sauce, if I were to do it again, I'd go with the maple/lime juice/hot sauce instead of the boom boom sauce.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mushika posted:

Frank's?

Frank's?

Hey, Crystal it ain't, but we put that poo poo on the wings where I'm from. It's got its own place. Yellow Bird has a really good agave and habanero hot sauce that, if I hadn't bought the $1 trial size bottle from Walmart, would've been perfect in this.

Discussion Quorum posted:

You could also try the southern food thread or hot sauce thread for that one. Personally, I'd go with something neutral*, like Frank's, for hot chicken and waffles.

* obviously it's hot sauce so it's not neutral, but relative to Garlic Miso Triple Death Bowel Inflamer or whatever which is just going to overwhelm the syrup and waffles

I... didn't even think to check and see if there was a southern food thread. :doh: That's what I get for being in a mild rush.