Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Can anybody explain what the holy trinity is to me? From the OP it just sounds like three random vegetables thrown together, since apparently everything can be substituted for anything..?

Bell peppers are kinda spendy but I have a bunch of carrots and jalapenos and garlic and onions, as well as celery. I was thinking of going 1 part carrots, one part bell peppers and some de-seeded jalapenos, and 1 part of onion and garlic. Or is that an abomination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks for the replies, I'm not too worried but the post about the trinity in the OP is kind of confusing, it goes all over the palce mentioning 6 or 7 different potential ingredients, and talks about subbing some that are drastically different than others. My main concern is the jalapenos overdoing the spice but they're mostly pretty mild, I took a bite out of a couple and they were sweet.

HFX posted:

The Holy Trinity is Onions, bell peppers, celery. People will sometimes denote between a trinity and a holy trinity by the presence of garlic. Bell peppers aren't really that costly and during warmer months grow quite easily in a small garden.
Your entire post is unnecessary, unhelpful, and condescending. I don't give a gently caress what you think is a reasonable price for something and I don't give a drat that freezing it months ago would have been good right now - I don't have the freezer space in any case.

If you want to tell me about growing a garden check out the thread in DIY, you'll see my garden, and know it's out of season.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

the_chavi posted:

Ouch! I have a pair of kevlar-lined gloves I wear when I shuck oysters - hurts like a bitch if I stab myself, but there's no blood.
For real. I always at least have a michael-jackson-style heavy work glove when I shuck oysters. The knives aren't that sharp so any half-rear end cheap glove from a hardware store is a big help. Stay away from cotton because hot grease + cotton = horrible burns. I xuppose there are probably actually sharp oyster knives out there but I fail to see the point, a letter opener could do the job alright if it didn't break after a half-dozen, and a razor-sharp edge doesn't seem to make any difference in my experience.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm actually legitimately curious as to whether this would be any good or not. Enough that I might try a batch at some point. My grocery store sells both andouille and boudin sausage; I might try one or both of those with the casings removed and see if it turns out good. Maybe with or without chorizo.

Guys which sausage(s) should I use for my Cajun stuffing recipe? I can do one or two, but if oysters are going in there too then I need to draw the line at that. Otherwise it's just overkill.
Dry chorizo would be amazing inside a turkey cavity, but andouille would also be good, imho. If you like a fruity stuffing full of raisins and cranberrries and poo poo, I'd lean toward andouille, or a more mexican style wet chorizo.

I have no idea how oysters would work inside stuffing or a turkey however I'm leaning toward :barf: , probably my personal taste though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 12, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The only thing I'd worry with scallops, is to not let them disintegrate by overcooking them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

kloa posted:

Unfortunately this is the truth for boudain :smith:
You are mixing up boudin with Anthony Bourdain.

Its a French word so "in" is pronounced "aanhh" with the n being largely silent. Pinch your nose and say "in" a few times to hear the a that is not in the spelling.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's a masculine/feminine thing where in French if there's no e on the end, it's probably a masculine version of a name or noun and if it does have an e in it's a feminine and you say the consonants.

That's why you can have Michel or Michelle or Dominic and Dominique.

Even with the a it ought to have a silent n.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Being in Oregon I've only ever seen the French stuff Boudin Blanc. It's a rabbit and rice sausage, if I recall correctly it has poultry or pork too.