Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Got the urge for breakfast boudin while on the road yesterday morning, coming home from working at a camp.

Crawfish pie and boudin balls. The other boys had boudin links, pies, boiled peanuts and cracklins.

Want to go there real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone have a good red beans recipe for the slow cooker?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Taking a day trip to NOLA next weekend and I can't wait to eat stuff.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I really enjoy the Chef Paul books but Seasoned America was kind of a miss for me. I'm sure the recipes are good but none of it really seemed like stuff I'd want to cook. That might not make any sense though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anybody ever made their own king cake? Seems like a lot or work and Rouses makes a pretty good one, but might also be fun.

This is a pretty quick and easy one.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've heard a good substitute for turtle in turtle soup is veal since the meat texture is really similar. I've never tried it but it sounds interesting.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Roux chat reminded me. Does anyone have a good recipe for no roux etouffee? I used to have one but I'll be damned if I can find it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm not much for baking but I love the regular ol' cinnamon king cake from Rouse's. I always end up going through a few.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Manny Randazzo’s and Dong Phuong 4 lyfe

I hadn't had a Randazzo's until last year and I'll say it's the best I've ever had. I wish I lived close enough to get them on the regular.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

:bisonyes:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sup HOME OF AMERICA'S OLDEST MARDI GRAS bud

Hell yeah. Looking forward to getting lit in Beinville square the next couple months. A few places even started selling Crichton Leprechaun plushes as throws and I'm hunting one.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Some jambalaya right before I got it simmering and slapped the lid on.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Don't forget that everyone on the Gulf Coast's cousin's brother-in-law's uncle has a shrimp boat and they still haven't hear about the 'rona in Port Fourchon/Gautier/Bayou La Batre

Fuckin' this. Ain't anyone stopping the shrimp boats. The Rouse's here is also stocked with just about everything but of course the hand sanitizer and paper products.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I’m going to make gumbo this weekend, and my friend (whose recipe I’m using) says I should bake my roux. Is this a thing?

I've for sure seen it but can't get quite remember where. A glance through my books isn't yielding anything but I know I've seen it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tried making Shrimp Roban for the first time a couple days ago. Very tasty but it doesn't reheat well at all it seems.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Spent the weekend with Jazz Festing In Place on the radio and made a gator sausage po'boy with remoulade slaw. Nothing fancy but so good.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice! Was really missing the fest this year. JFIP was awesome last year and this year, made it a little better.

Not exactly on thread topic but I'm incredibly impressed by the recordings WWOZ has collected from the old events. Having a recording of Eubie Blake from the 70s is just awesome.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That Works posted:

Do they have an internet stream? I wouldn't mind listening in on this from Rhode Island. Been probably 10 yrs since I've been to Jazz Fest.

You can listen live on the site and while I've never explored it myself they have a whole bunch of interviews and performances on their Groovapedia
https://www.wwoz.org/

Also it broadcasts on TuneIn if you prefer an app option.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This one is out of Justin Wilson's book.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Have a bunch of crawfish shells going to make stock for future etouffee and I'm excited.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd honestly never looked at Chef Paul's recipe before until you brought it up here since I had one already but... yeah I don't like it. At most I just used one ham hock in the pot and left it at that.

In this short video he doesn't even mention ham hocks, just tasso and andoullie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X8OHExY3zA

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I remember a few years ago going to a place that served the red beans and rice around a spicy sausage patty and honestly it's the best way I've had it. I should really start replicating that at home.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Someone is likely more qualified to answer most of your questions, but you should really get The Crawfish App

https://www.thecrawfishapp.com/

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Experimented making grits for shrimp and grits with a crawfish stock. I'll have to put that in the failure pile. Turned out a weird color and the flavor just wasn't working with anything else.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I usually make a smoked turkey jambalaya and it's always bangin'

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That Works posted:

This.

Also Roux in a jambalaya is not something ive ever had or seen personally. I can’t speak for all of Louisiana but I don’t know that its a thing anywhere for a normal basic recipe for it.

I don't see it often but Isaac Toups makes a roux for his
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ytqP64AVkk

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone else ever make egg cups with your leftover jambalya or dirty rice? Really solid convenience meal.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Making a crock pot of red beans for some guests tomorrow, the idea crossed my mind to grab a can of blue runner red beans to blend up and give that more creamy texture. Anyone ever try that or am I about to do something stupid?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Garlic Crystal is my general purpose hot sauce because that stuff is yummy. But it's certainly not the be all and end all heat and flavor combo. I use Sriracha for that.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

loving double post.