Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I made a big batch of gumbo with a duck fat/ bacon fat blend from some duck confit I made, with a stock made from the roasted duck carcass and a pork shoulder bone, plus shrimp shells. It was heavenly, would highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
IIRC, removing the pot from the heat is to let it cool slightly for 5-ish minutes before adding the trinity, to help prevent the roux from burning. That's what I've been doing anyway, and so far so good. As far as the broth goes, I usually see boxed broth in 32 or 48 fl oz cartons, so probably somewhere around 3-4 quarts, depending on how thick your roux is, what other thickening agents you're using, and how thick you want the end product to be.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone here have experience with cornbread? I don't know much in the way of baking. I've been working off of this recipe as a base: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/southern_cornbread/ Using all stone ground white cornmeal, no flour, no sugar, with the egg. I've also tried it with bacon fat instead of butter, with the salt reduced to a tiny pinch and the diced up cooked bacon added at the same stage as the fat. Every time it's mighty tasty, but I've always found that while the exterior is always nice, with a nice crust wherever the batter was directly touching the cast iron, and a softer but still noticeable crust on top, never too hard in either case. The interior, however, is always crumbly, and breaks apart more easily than I'd like. Is there a way to fix that without adding flour, or is that basically the only solution?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks guys. I've been using Hodgson Mill cornmeal. I do wonder though, if how much I beat the egg and whether I beat the egg before or after I add the buttermilk to it would matter when it comes to how well the interior binds. I know the best solution is to simply keep making batches until I have it how I'd like it, but I can only eat so much cornbread, and if I give it away to friends, I don't always get to try it and find out how it turned out, or get good feedback.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

holttho posted:

As with all great foods - make the real thing, just eat less of it.

Disclaimer: once you've tasted it, this will be very difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Cream of mushroom soup, canned peas, beef and tater tots.

Sometimes with cream of chicken soup also, sometimes with corn instead/in addition to peas, sometimes with cheese on top. Tater Tot Hot Dish is a nuanced cuisine!