Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Not sure if a muffaletta really counts as Cajun, but it is from New Orleans so I figure it can't hurt to post it here.

I'm a long way from the US right now, but got a craving for a muffaletta after talking about them with friends for a while. I can source most ingredients here though I had to make the bread myself. Can't get provolone so I swapped it for low moisture mozzarella. Salami and other pork cold cuts are hard to come by here, but I have a little shop that caters to expats I can go to and pay exorbitant prices for that sort of thing. I think I processed the olive salad a little too much, but that's easy to keep in mind for next time.

All that said, I am really happy with how this thing turned out. It's also the proper size (huge) and it'll cover dinner for a week along with some chips. I'm currently on day 5.
:shepface:

I regret nothing.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you can make the bread yourself and manage the overnight olive soak, you're 70% of the way there. I'm sort of curious where you are that suitable replacements for the rest couldn't be found for most of it, but that's me.
Batam, Indonesia.

I'm here working in a fabrication yard for the duration of the project I'm on. It's a majority Muslim country so pork is just hard to come by. :v: It also tends to be pretty pricy when you can find it. I was able to find ham and a couple different types of salami at that expat store I mentioned so I did fine.

Cheese is too if you want something other than processed cheese or a basic cheddar. I went with swiss and low moisture mozzarella since provolone doesn't exist here.

There's leeway in this sandwich so I feel pretty good about what I was able to find.

When I came here at the start of the year the world was a bit more normal and I was under the assumption I'd be able to go to Singapore (a short ferry ride away) for anything I couldn't get here. Didn't work out that way, obviously, but I make do pretty well. Helps that I've always liked to cook.

I do dumb poo poo like make my own cornmeal in a coffee grinder, make my own butter for the buttermilk, even attempted masa once, but it didn't really work out.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 6, 2020

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some late night etouffée

It's my old go-to, a slightly modified version of a Prudhomme recipe. I cut down on the butter a bit and add some peppers, usually jalapeño, and a bunch of garlic. I also made some pretty drat solid shrimp stock. I started with a vegetable stock base, simmered for maybe 8 hours yesterday, and then tossed in the heads and shells from my peeled shrimp for another couple of hours. I am very happy with the results. I love etouffée.

The baguette is also homemade.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 5, 2020

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That looks really, really good. I use the prudhomme recipe too, and I also cut the butter by half. I don’t get my roux dark enough for it to look like that though!
I used to cut the butter in half, but I've kind of come around to using more over the years. The recipe calls for two sticks and I use 1.5. One stick with the shrimp (or crawfish) tails and green onions and then another half stick cut up and swirled into the final mixture. Prudhomme used a whole stick for that last part and it comes out a little too greasy and thin for me.

I aimed for a red-brown roux and most of the color definitely comes from that, but I think a fair bit also came from my stock. Or maybe more that it didn't lighten the etouffée too much. The vegetable base turned out fairly dark and the shrimp didn't change that.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mother's Day was Sunday which meant I got asked to make crawfish magnifique

For anyone who hasn't had it before, it's a cream-based sauce served on/in boats of fried mirlitons. It's a bit more work than an etouffee, but it's worth it if you're looking for something a bit richer. Preparing the boats makes it more complicated overall, but I'd argue the actual sauce is easier. There's a great recipe in Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen which I'm just gonna assume everyone has already.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 11, 2022

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not really cajun, but it is from New Orleans so close enough. Here's a muffuletta I made. Well, sort of. I made the bread and olive salad and the rest was assembly.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

On the subject of grits, I’m going to make grillades Sunday for brunch and the Saints game. Recipes usually call for eye of round or veal, which I’ve done a few times. But wondering what other cuts could be used.
I've made grillades with ribeye. It was decadent.

I was visiting some family and, somehow, their grocery store didn't have anything like top round or chuck roast. Ever since then when buying beef for grillades I'll start with a hunk of something cheap and then make up the rest with ribeye. Works pretty well and the extra richness only helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Billy's is great. Their boudin balls are something else though. They wrap boudin around a little block of pepper jack and then bread and deep fry all of that. I can eat like two of them before I need a nap.

Should be doing a roadtrip back to Houston for Christmas and I'll be sure to swing by there on the way through Louisiana. There's also Don's Specialty Meats at the same exit in Scott, but I prefer Billy's.