Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cajun/Creole food rules and getting down to Louisiana to try some authentic stuff is #1 on my food bucket list.

I mentioned in the other thread that I made red beans and rice last weekend. I use this recipe from the GWS wiki and it's pretty good. My girlfriend who has never had this cuisine before (and isn't even from this country) loved it too. Two things I might change are to add more meat and get a bigger blender to make them a little more creamy. In fact my GF suggested taking all the beans and blending them before adding to the whole pot for the four-hour simmer, but you'd probably have to stir it a lot more than once or twice an hour unless you want to burn it.

Also I found the following recipe for "cajun seasoning" in my recipe folder-

quote:

2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

OR

2 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was told that this was the place to go for NOLA food recommendations- I've been wanting to go to New Orleans for years and I'm finally getting the chance to by tagging along with my wife while she heads down there for a weekend conference. What are the best places to eat within walking distance of the convention center? I know that it's right near the French Quarter which seems like a good place to start.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
We're staying on the north end of it, if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions so far, my wife is working all day Saturday and my job is to find places to eat for when she's done working :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Making red beans and rice using a recipe I got off of a postcard in NOLA, pray for me goons.

Speaking of which, the red beans recipe in the OP doesn't mention soaking them overnight first. What do you need to do to make them soft enough to eat same-day?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are the "acceptable" gumbo meats? Chicken, shrimp, various sausages, certain amphibious animals? Have made gumbo from scratch the past couple of weekends and really enjoyed it but need to mix it up my ingredients a little bit. I used some chorizo last time and fried it in the pot before doing the roux and the grease from the sausage gave the whole thing a nice spicy flavor.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

My brother in-law was real sick a while back and his wife was slammed taking care of him and 3 kids. Neither of them are particularly good or experienced cooks (both yankees) and I made a big pot of gumbo for them. This christmas we bought them an instant pot as they were kinda getting into cooking a bit more. He just wrote me telling me how much he and his wife loved the gumbo I made them months ago and that he had tried to make an instant pot gumbo recipe (I have no idea which one?) and it came out OK, but he was interested in making a good / proper one.

Does anyone have a particularly good video or bulletproof gumbo recipe for a novice? I feel like I could write up a decent one for him, but a video might be nice for someone more novice to this. I was gonna tell him to use the instant pot to make the stock and do the rest more traditionally.

Thinking just chicken, sausage and okra gumbo based on ingredient availability (Rural Massachusetts).

I followed this the first time I made it myself (starting at 5:50 or so), just tell him to ignore anything involving shrimp if he wants to-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HBPHRDEt_Q

Also if your BIL has any sort of Asian grocer nearby, they usually have okra available.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Got a bunch of celery and green bell pepper in my produce box, not to mention a grip of shrimp shells in my freezer. I have to come up with a good Cajun dish to make this weekend, maybe some jambalaya. It's been far too long since I've made any!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

I might have asked this before, apologies if so.

Does anyone have a good super easy to follow video for making gumbo?

My brother in law wants to make some after an initial bad attempt. I wrote him a massive email with thorough instructions etc. After running into him on vacation he basically was like "oh yeah, that was a novel, sorry I had a hard time following it".

I'd like to give him something else to help then and clearly I can't write about gumbo without it turning into an essay.

This dude isn't as authentic as the rest of these but I followed the gumbo recipe here the first couple of times I did it and it turned out pretty good (starts around 6:35)