Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I'd love to contribute some recipes when/if I get some time to.

On your jambalaya recipe, you can get a looser texture by using parboiled rice, if that's something you'd want. I grew up eating brown Cajun jambalaya. As such, I have a really hard time with the red stuff. Usually in Cajun country a jambalaya involves smoked pork sausage, pork and/or chicken.

Also, another common Cajun thing, at least from what I experienced growing up, is not mixing mammals/birds with seafood. It was always either a seafood gumbo or sausage and chicken/duck, for example.

Where do you find chicken etouffee? Is that a New Orleans thing? I've only ever had it with shrimp, crawfish, or occasionally crab.

Red beans and rice pro tip: in addition to the sausage and hambone, some chopped up tasso makes it pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

HClChicken posted:

Robert Irvine came to Afghanistan (while I was there) and made crawfish etoufee. First time having it and I feel really shameful about that fact. I loved the poo poo out of it and am wondering if there are any versions you'd recommend.

My crawfish etoufee is as follows:

1/2 stick butter
1 14 oz. pack of frozen crawfish
1 whole large onion
1 whole bell pepper
1 whole celery stalk
1/2 head garlic
1 bunch green onions
1 tablespoon flour
crawfish stock/shrimp stock/water/veg stock
cayenne pepper
black pepper
salt
hot sauce

1) Melt butter in heavy (cast iron) skillet over medium low heat
2) sweat onion, bell pepper, celery, and the white part of the green onions for at least 15 minutes. Let it go SLOW.
3) Once the veg is very soft, add garlic and sweat for another 10 minutes or so over that low heat
4) add your flour and mix until well incorporated
5) add liquid and raise heat; let boil for a bit
6) season with salt/pepper/cayenne/hot sauce
7) add thawed crawfish and crawfish fat to the etoufee; lower heat to an easy simmer
8) simmer for a few minutes and add sliced green part of green onions right before turning heat off
9) serve over hot white rice

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

GEEKABALL posted:

I'm going to try this with shrimp. Is this what is called a blond etoufee? Is that even a thing or am I mis-remembering? I've had darker etoufee and thought it was wonderful. If I wanted to make it darker, would I add the flour to the butter and make a roux first and then sweat the veg in the roux (like starting a gumbo) or would it then no longer be an etoufee? I especially like blackened redfish stuffed with etoufee :swoon:.

I've personally never had an etouffee made with dark roux, but if you want it dark then, yes, you would make the roux first then cook the veggies in the roux before adding the stock. I would add another tablespoon or two of flour if you're doing it this way as flour thickens less the longer you cook it in the fat.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

bleedbackwards posted:

I grew up eating a super barebones gumbo that my mom cooked. She only used onion and bellpepper (no celery) and okra or filé was unheard of. Onion+bellpepper, roux, chicken, sausage, and Tony's. That was it. (It still tasted amazing, I don't know how she did it.) I add celery (three stalks) to complete the trinity, and for seasoning I use a tablespoon of Tony's, 2-3 bay leaves, a teaspoon of thyme, and a quarter teaspoon of cayenne. Right before it's served I add a teaspoon or so of filé. Tomatoes? Where are you from, Shreveport? Get outta here.

Hell yeah, that was the exact gumbo I grew up eating (made by grandma). Only difference was she didn't use Tony's. Over the years I've tried to gussy up my gumbo with celery/garlic/cayenne/green onions/parsley/etc., but it's never as good as chicken, sausage, bell pepper, onion, and roux.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Hollis posted:

Also, if you use okra and Roux, you don't have to use Filet. You shouldn't use all three IE a combination of two of those, Okra and Roux or Okra and Filet , Or Filet and Roux (although that isn't gumbo). Filet, Okra and Roux are all thickening agents. Filet doesn't have a super pronounced flavor but you can tell if gumbo doesn't have it. Usually the Roux is going to have the strongest flavor.

File and roux would be a file gumbo.

Gumbo without okra is still gumbo. Yeah I get it that gumbo comes from some West African word for okra, but definitions of things change. Also, a gumbo with okra and file without roux? I would say that THAT isn't gumbo.

I wouldn't imagine going to Lafayette/Acadia/St. Landry/etc. parish and telling some coon-asses that their pot of gumbo without okra isn't gumbo.

I do agree with not mixing file and okra. I can only imagine how weird that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Re: all the Andouille talk.

I grew up in the heart of Cajun country, and honestly, not a whole lot of people used Andouille (might be a NOLA/SE LA thing). Don't sweat it if you can't find it. Most of the food I had growing up used good old smoked pork sausage.