Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here's a vegan red beans & rice recipe from this website. It differs from Fo3's in a few respects - most notably, no tomatoes. Tomato-less red beans and rice is how I liked it. I don't know if these proportions are right or anything - they're from the original recipe but I mostly just eyeball it so, I dunno, adjust to taste after you've made it once or something. My notes are in brackets.

quote:

1 pound red kidney beans, dry
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped [green obviously]
5 ribs celery, chopped
As much garlic as you like, minced (I like lots, 5 or 6 cloves)
1/2 to 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
1 or 2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp liquid smoke
As many dashes Crystal hot sauce or Tabasco as you like, to taste [you don't have to bother if you don't want to]
A few dashes Worcestershire sauce [this makes it non-vegan so I leave it out]
Creole seasoning blend, to taste; OR,
red pepper and black pepper to taste
Salt to taste

It's not necessary to soak the beans overnight, but you can if you want to. If you do, drain the water and cover the beans with a double volume of fresh water in the pot. (This helps reduce the, um, flatulence factor.) Bring the beans to a rolling boil. Make sure the beans are always covered by water, or they will discolor and get hard. Boil the beans for about an hour, until the beans are tender but not falling apart.

While the beans are boiling, sauté the Trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper) until the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. After the beans are boiled and drained, add the sautéed vegetables to the beans, then seasonings, the oil, the liquid smoke, and just enough water to cover.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 2 hours at least, preferably 3, until the whole thing gets nice and creamy. Adjust seasonings as you go along. Stir occasionally, making sure that it doesn't burn and/or stick to the bottom of the pot. (If the beans are old -- say, older than six months to a year -- they won't get creamy. Make sure the beans are reasonably fresh. If it's still not getting creamy, take 1 or 2 cups of beans out and mash them, then return them to the pot and stir.)
I've grown up about as far from Louisiana as it's possible to get in the continental United States so I have little to no experience with Cajun and Creole food, aside from a gumbo and jambalaya my mom used to make which I guess are pretty authentic judging from the recipes in this thread. Unfortunately neither of those are much without the meat. Anyone have any favorite vegan recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hecuba posted:

TychoCelchuuu, you could veganize maque choux pretty easily: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/maque-choux.html Also if you're in an area where you can get mirliton/chayote, try dicing it and sauteing with trinity + garlic + s&p + hot sauce. Top with oiled breadcrumbs, chopped green onion and a few dots of your favorite vegan butter and bake til it's all soft and creamy. Dems some good eats. Also, regular old stewed okra n' tomatoes isn't exclusively a Cajun country thing, but it's a Southern classic for a reason.
Tremendous, thank you! I'll report back whenever I get around to doing this. And yes, we're swimming in chayote 'round these parts so I should have no issues except I don't have a favorite vegan butter. I'll just use olive oil.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I do want to try veggie red beans and rice soon so my hippie siblings can have some. I've recently seen the light about ham hocks, which was like the missing ingredient in making my normal batch A+. Would a little vinegar to taste get me a similar flavor, or would I need a little of something else too?
You could add liquid smoke.