Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

or you could always just copy the dish they did over at Peche and grill a whole fish then smother it in chimichurri

it's not creole but it is, technically, food from new orleans lol

edit: i forget if that dish was chimichurri or salsa verde but both are probably delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Courtyard Brewery - best beer I think in the city. Nothing more laid back I can imagine. Different food trucks, check the website to see what’s offered.

100% agree with this, Scott's easily making the nicest beers in town

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I haven’t been since COVID, did they move to a different spot? Google says they’re on Camp now, but right around the corner so not sure if it’s just an office or something.

yeah, not sure -- i just went a million times to their original warehouse location on Erato, I knew they moved to a nicer spot after I moved out of state, but haven't made it back since then.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Avenue is also great, a really charming place to try an insane beer selection and sit on the rooftop balcony in the afternoon and watch St. Charles.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

1:1 is literally textbook, i think

you can go way more unbalanced and still have fine results, 2:1 flour:fat has given me some perfectly good gumbos

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 28, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

using a full cup of unrefined coconut oil in my roux to get that classic tropical gumbo flavor

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Scythe posted:

I had no idea mirlitons were a thing; they appear to be the same thing as chayote which I can get easily. How else are they usually used in creole/cajun cooking?

i've mostly seen them stuffed with meat/seafood kinda like you'd make stuffed bell peppers, but i'm sure there's many other uses

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah do it if it sounds good but that's not a standard gumbo ingredient especially in that quantity

also filé would traditionally be added at the very end, when you've taken it off the heat. i usually use at least a couple teaspoons, it has a pretty delicate, green tea/green herb flavor, and the zatarain's stuff they sell in grocery stores always tastes very faded and old compared to buying some from a spice company online

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 26, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah Zatarain’s file just tastes like dust to me

yeah it's kinda like buying some ancient jar of McCormick Bay Leaves where they're brown and papery and you're like "is this literally adding any flavor at all i can't tell"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hauki posted:

Maybe I’m lazy with my stirring, but I find I can get a much darker roux with the oven method. I turn it off at milk chocolate and leave it in the oven as it cools and it’s much closer to dark chocolate by the end, without the risk of scorching.

i'm sure this is true, oven method is heating so much slower than a big burner, it makes sense you could get it darker without as much risk

also i'd echo phil that taking accurate photos of a dark brown thing is surprisingly difficult and makes it hard to compare home roux to internet photos (e.g., in coffee roasting, exact color level matters a lot and it's just notoriously difficult to take an accurate photo to share with others without having spent real money to that purpose)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

could be more or less wet but it's fundamentally a rice dish

i've seen bad "cajun" places outside of louisiana confuse it with etouffee (or some very bad version of something like etouffee), i wonder if that's what they're doing

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 24, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ive done that Toups recipe, it's more like what i think of as "rice and gravy." it's really tasty, especially because since it's roux-based it's got like 100x more fat, just not super close to the paella-ish red jambalayas

but regardless it's still got the basic form, it's not some stew with rice on the side

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

until last year i'd always used the zatarain's file powder they sell in stores and buying a bag of ground file from a spice vendor had so much more flavor, like a tin of months-old ground pepper compared to freshly ground black pepper. the like green tea/bay herbal quality really comes through in a gumbo and is much nicer

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

isn't there that video where justin wilson fries chicken then just pours flour into the leftover grease to make a roux? lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ah prudhomme, yep that's the one. and then dumping the fried chicken right back in the gumbo!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that is arguably the dirtiest dirty rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah you definitely aren't supposed to do it like that. but "rice cooked in gravy" is still fundamentally cajun food, i think