Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

I got my roux to a tiny bit darker than milk chocolate. I wanted to take it darker, but the oil started smoking. I was using plain vegetable oil. If I want to go darker, should I use something with a higher smoke point, like canola?

Smoke point of the oil shouldn't be an issue in getting a darker roux. Lower the heat on your pan and let go longer and slower to get the color you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

CommonShore posted:

just got my first roux finished. Looks like molasses once I dumped holy trinity in it. I was being overly cautious and it took an hour and a half (I understand why, now) - felt like dancing with the devil.

That was an obnoxious amount of fun. I put it on top of a white/wild rice mix, because I felt like adding something Canadian to my Cajun. 10/10 would do again.

Quit measuring roux time by the clock. Start measuring in beers and your roux will always be amazing

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Just attempted the gumbo. It's cooking now. I never managed to get the roux chocolate brown. It ended up being dark yellow-tanish, and the consistency ended up more like porridge, so I think I put too much flour in? I'm currently in the 4 hour simmer phase, and it looks like the attached image below. Not sure how badly I messed it up, but hopefully it will be edible. Any tips for next time on how to get a dark brown roux?

During the simmer phase, what do you guys normally bring the heat down to? Also lid of the pot on or off?

Darker Roux is just more time over a low to medium heat. Roux takes time, like grab a few beers kinda time. Alternately you can do Alton Brown's trick of making the roux in the oven. it's still a long time (like an hour if i recall correctly) but is a bit easier.

Lid is dependent on the thickness to me. If it's too thin, Lid off. If it's thick already, lid on to let the steam condense back into the gumbo.

Generally based on your picture I would guess you have a bit more roux than necessary so it'll be ticker than you might have expected. However, what you have should be perfectly edible.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Making red beans and rice using a recipe I got off of a postcard in NOLA, pray for me goons.

Speaking of which, the red beans recipe in the OP doesn't mention soaking them overnight first. What do you need to do to make them soft enough to eat same-day?

Quick Soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups water to a boil. Add 1-pound dry beans and return to a boil; let boil 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Use as you would normally soaked beans.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anyone have any experience with either brand or any other suggestions?

Jet burners like the first tend to create a single concentrated hotspot that can cause scorching of anything not moving quickly enough past it. The second, spreads the flame out more evenly under the pot avoiding the scorching issue. Generally speaking, in homebrewing, I've had much better luck with the cast iron burners getting things up to temp faster and easier. In a completely non-scientific and massively subjective study, I also found the "banjo" style cast iron burners seemed to use gas more efficiently.