Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just got my first roux finished. Looks like molasses once I dumped holy trinity in it. I was being overly cautious and it took an hour and a half (I understand why, now) - felt like dancing with the devil.

That was an obnoxious amount of fun. I put it on top of a white/wild rice mix, because I felt like adding something Canadian to my Cajun. 10/10 would do again.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm really quite surprised at how thin the broth is actually. I showed the (slightly and probably not enough edited) first page recipe to a coworker and she made me doubt myself a bit on the amount of flour, so I probably ended up putting more like 1 3/4 in with roughly 2.5 l of chicken broth (two store cartons + some from my freezer). There's virtually no thickening, and I don't really get the sense that another 1/4 cup of flour would tip any scales in that respect.

And yeah, I now have a much better sense of how to brown up the roux, especially in relation to my own stove's heat output. Once I inched the knob up above 40% and started stirring a bit less, it didn't take terribly long to get there.

I also wasn't complaining about the 90 minutes. I had fun (except when the cats started fighting and I couldn't leave the stove to separate them). I had no idea that so many different smells could come out of flour and lard. There's easily enough nuance there for someone to become obsessed. I wish that I had a big cauldron to make a huge batch all at once into which I could huck entire small animals, perhaps stirring it while wearing an apron instead of a shirt.

e. I couldn't find file, and in hindsight I think I needed more okra, too. I put 13 in, and they were kind of smallish. That also probably accounts for the lack of thickening. I'd increase the okra by maybe a third next time around, if I still can't find any file.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 25, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nwin posted:

Need some help here. I'm making red beans and rice tonight and I've used the recipe on page 1 before, but I thought I always soaked the beans overnight.

Here's the recipe:

Here's the problem-I forgot to soak them overnight last night and I want to make this for dinner today. Any ideas if the recipe meant to keep them dry or should I go for a fast boil method?

If dry beans spend > 90 minutes baking in a covered dutch oven at ~250 F, they'll be fine. I do it all the time. You'll probably need to add a bit more water. If you're worried about them, start them separately or something.

I don't want to make any guarantees for you, but personally I'd be confident trying that recipe with dry beans.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find specifics:

Let's say smoking is 100% out. No patio, no grill, no hot smoker, no cold smoker, no outdoors, no DIY cardboard box with a sautering iron and a tin can full of wood chips, nothing. Nothing but an oven and a spice cabinet.

That's my situation. Two questions:
1) Good options for smoky spices? Liquid smoke seems the obvious choice, but what about dry options? How does smoked paprika compare to liquid smoke?
2) What oven situation would approximate a smoker in terms of temperature and dry air? 200F and a roasting pan, or should I pop for some sort of wire rack? I have a V-rack for poultry; something like that? It's not a convection oven, either, so should I set the temp higher on the oven than it would be in the smoker to make up for the fact that air is circulating in a smoker but stagnant in an oven?

I wouldn't say that it does at all. It adds relatively little smoke flavour to the food, or rather, I've never added so much of it to anything I've made in which I go "wow that tastes smokey."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

5MinuteButtermilk posted:

Should roux have a smell while cooking? I made roux for the first time today, and it went from smelling sort of greasy to smelling like burnt popcorn. I'm reasonably sure that the burnt popcorn smell is because I burned it, but should it have that greasy smell? I used 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and 1/2 cup of flour.

When I tried a roux the smells were amazing. A new one came out every time I achieved a new shade. One smell definitely was that of popcorn, but not burned popcorn. I don't remember any "greasy" smell, but that doesn't seem unreasonable considering that it's half fat, though I did mine with lard, and not vegetable oil.