Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LLSix posted:

I love red beans and rice but have never been happy with the results when I make them. I'm thinking of trying one of the recipes from the op. When it says "mash" the beans against the side of the pot. How mashed should they be? Should it be a paste like mashed potatoes?

Kenji’s recipe as others have said is the best one I’ve found. Flat out, I know it’s due to the vinegar in it. It cuts through the heaviness of the beans super well. Add the pickle pork. Add the hot sauce. Or just put straight vinegar in it. It transforms it from this heavy beany dish to something sublime. I also got incredibly drunk when I made kenjis recipe and passed out, leaving my ex to take the pot off th heat and refrigerate it. Tasted amazing the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m gonna be in New Orleans this March for a couple days. What are folks absolute must have recs? Both for food and tourism?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I like the aidells andouille (it’s got some nice spice to it) and Kroger brand has been nice too. I don’t have a lot of experience with authentic andouille though.

Anyway, I finally figured out the trick to making good grits (you treat them like mashed potatoes that need lots of butter and some other kind of dairy and lots of salt). I’d like to make shrimp and grits for friends but my friend has a shellfish allergy. What are good subs that can get a similar flavor profile? I’ve thought of doing andouille sausage rings, but they’re not gonna have the bits of “sauce” that shrimp would from the garlic and spices getting quick sautéed. What are peoples’ thoughts?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Yes I did.

You should normally make the rice separately then serve the gumbo over a scoop of rice. This is like if you made a curry and cooked mixed all the rice into the pot. Or like mashed potatoes and gravy if you stirred all the gravy and potatoes together at once.

Edit: wait, you didn’t cook the rice in the gumbo, did you?

fr0id fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 2, 2024

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’ll add that yeah if you add the rice in after it’s cooked you’re saving a step but I’d be worried it may reheat weirdly where the rice loses texture. I definitely don’t think you want to actually cook raw rice with the gumbo because that seems like it would add extra starches and mess with the thickness.

A gumbo has three traditional thickeners: the roux (this may be wrong but I’ve heard making dark roux for gumbo exchanges thickness for the deeper nutty flavors so it’s not a great thickener on its own), the okra slime (which gumbo is literally named after okra so that feels the most traditional) and the file powder. Some sources say to use only 2/3, some to use all 3. Lots say to have the file powder at the table to add to taste so I assume it thickens pretty quickly so long as the gumbo is hot. So if you add rice starch to it, I can get it at a conceptual level, but there is no reason to add almost flavorless rice starch instead of flavorful roux, okra, or file.